Brevard @ 4th St - Moxy Hotel - 20 Story - 226ft tower

Scribe

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Confused....the 2 images above show no change in height or design other than the pink is now rendered grey.

that's a good point. The rezoning was for 20 floors, never noticed the rendering got shorter.

6 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

The price point of Moxy Hotel rooms makes it acceptable to have a "B" location. They will be a closer walk to the center of the city than the other hotels competing in their market segment (Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, Hilton Garden Inn) so they probably found the trade off worth it. Especially since they expect their guests to spend most of their time out of their room exploring (hence the small square footage).

Brands like JW Marriott, Hyatt Regency, Westin, etc... would probably not be interested in a "B" location like this, hence  hotels in the full service segment are concentrated on Church St, Tryon St, or College St. The Sheraton and Le Meridien are complete outliers, and the reviews for those hotels reflect guest's disappointment of the location for the price point. Not really sure why anybody would pick those hotels...

Plus those two are in 40 year old buildings with cheap updates...

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

This is correct.  Building is now BLACK, keeping the 40’ murals to be commissioned to local developers. 

If this is an attempt at humor, it's a bad one because this is entire conceivable in the Charlotte market today, lol

Black with pink accents would be interesting. Especially contrasting with the obnoxiously 90's bus terminal. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

If this is an attempt at humor, it's a bad one because this is entire conceivable in the Charlotte market today, lol

Black with pink accents would be interesting. Especially contrasting with the obnoxiously 90's bus terminal. 

I’d take a taller version of the Chicago Moxy. This has a lot of pink lighting accents at night 

sfi9tdV.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Right here if I'm not mistaken.  It's a peculiar spot (for right now), because of the CTC, however, it could also be sitting in a jackpot of a location with all that potential there with those lots

I've never stayed at a Moxy, but what I gather from other people in this thread is that they cater to young people and the type of people who will want to be out and about.  I would guess being close to the Epicentre, Spectrum Center,  and all the bars and nightlife on 5th St were a major contributing factor.

I would also agree with you that they are placing a bet on this area getting better over the next 5 years or so.

25 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I've never stayed at a Moxy, but what I gather from other people in this thread is that they cater to young people and the type of people who will want to be out and about.  I would guess being close to the Epicentre, Spectrum Center,  and all the bars and nightlife on 5th St were a major contributing factor.

I would also agree with you that they are placing a bet on this area getting better over the next 5 years or so.

You'd be correct and, as mentioned previously, the hotel itself will add another night life option as the lobbies are typically more like a bar/lounge that just happens to have a spot to check into your room. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Right here if I'm not mistaken.  It's a peculiar spot (for right now), because of the CTC, however, it could also be sitting in a jackpot of a location with all that potential there with those lots.

1.png.bfd9414299a6b849964b36df6d3a0515.png

I don't think I ever realized how much undeveloped land is right in this area.  When I used to go to Fahrenheit everything seemed much more compact.  Doesn't the NCRR own the large block just left of the CTC?  Also, I imagine that the CTC itself could be seen as a liability for certain developments simply because it's a large bus terminal when there are other areas in Uptown that developers would prefer.

5 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Right here if I'm not mistaken.  It's a peculiar spot (for right now), because of the CTC, however, it could also be sitting in a jackpot of a location with all that potential there with those lots.

1.png.bfd9414299a6b849964b36df6d3a0515.png

Is there any reason why it hasn’t been officially announced? There’s four pages of nothing but updated renderings that haven’t started construction.