Brevard @ 4th St - Moxy Hotel - 20 Story - 226ft tower

Scribe

Construction fencing is up at the site of the soon to be constructed Moxy.  I swear, every time a surface parking lot gets fenced off for conversion to some vertical structure, an angel gets its wings.
Is there no way to just remodel the existing bus station, maybe brick it up with windows and more natural lighting?  All this burying talk just feels like a lot of over-engineering a solution.  Folks just need to hitch a ride and do safely, not the Taj Mahal of bus stations.  
40224988-BF2A-45CB-9D00-90C356DDD36C.thumb.jpeg.7ccd81bf8baf650860d9f8dd978fc075.jpeg
1B0B9DD0-FAFC-46A8-9CD8-BE1088AF5AFD.thumb.jpeg.39df6423d5c27bab50f13c784f05f977.jpeg
E92224D5-C04D-49ED-8F0F-3DCF5B073394.thumb.jpeg.88174379ee6695173fa9d3942def19c6.jpeg

Burying isn’t the only option they propose. The way to make it safer is to restrict access points and rebuild the structure with more open to more light. Can’t just brick it up and fix the issue. CTC isn’t just a bus station it’s also where the there’s a transfer point between bus and rail. Although I would say it would be perhaps more suited wherever the silver and blue line meet but even the silver line is in contention.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Burying isn’t the only option they propose. The way to make it safer is to restrict access points and rebuild the structure with more open to more light. Can’t just brick it up and fix the issue. CTC isn’t just a bus station it’s also where the there’s a transfer point between bus and rail. Although I would say it would be perhaps more suited wherever the silver and blue line meet but even the silver line is in contention.

Never meant to suggest that bricks are the sole means of reforming CATS, but I imagine there’s a way to aesthetically modernize and reduce access points, without the expense of what’s been proposed, especially given the growing school of thought that the CTC should de-hubbed.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:51 AM, RANYC said:

Construction fencing is up at the site of the soon to be constructed Moxy.  I swear, every time a surface parking lot gets fenced off for conversion to some vertical structure, an angel gets its wings.

Nothing more satisfying than seeing all these surface parking lots go away. So, so many have been replaced by actual development in Uptown, it is truly awesome to see. This Moxy is a great one as it's in one of the spots that surface parking still extends its tendrils deep into the core of Uptown. 

That said we still have several more lots to take care of, especially in the 1st and 2nd Wards. I really want to see us replace them with low or mid-rise development, at least we can get some use out of them in quick projects. They can always be further replaced with high-rises in the far future if needed.

• Like 4

On 10/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

The CTC needs to be dis-aggregated to smaller cluster nodes around Mecklenburg and run higher frequencies between those nodes. The fact that that (the city? cats?) leadership dreamt up this absolutely ridiculous "solution" of burying the CTC in place demonstrates how utterly out of touch they are with the inefficiencies and outright failings of the transit model as it exists today. Literally nothing will change, just now the buses are underground? I mean honestly it blows my mind that this is even being seriously considered as some sort of solution? What does it solve? At what cost?

I dunno seems like a no brainer to me. What's the point? The point is to activate the ground floor of the building with uses that generate revenue to offset the operating costs of the facility.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they’ll be significant construction activity going on here by the years end.  Going to be weird to see that for this area since it’s been awhile for any construction in the area.  Last work nearby was the Epicenter Dual-Hotels 3+ years ago and the Hotel on the other side of the Spectrum Center.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, RANYC said:

I really I wish I could see a rendering of the diner’s final plans.  It’s set back quite a ways from Trade.  Is the set back for some sort of pedestrian friendly patio, or for outdoor dining?  I can be confident it’s not for front door parking, yes?

I heard front door parking 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...