Burton Heights

organsnyder

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/17/2018 at 2:54 PM, organsnyder said:

More demo progress. Interesting that they appear to be stripping the shingles off of the roof of the sanctuary before they demo it. Perhaps for asbestos concerns, or to salvage materials separately?

Maybe asbestos shingles, requiring careful removal.   They guys removing the shingles look pretty well suited up. 

2 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Maybe asbestos shingles, requiring careful removal.   They guys removing the shingles look pretty well suited up. 

That would make sense; they have been spraying water during much of the demolition, which I assume is for asbestos control. Though now that they have the shingles removed, I'm not sure why they lopped off the addition so neatly (the shingles were removed a few days before the addition demo was finished). Perhaps they want to keep the waste streams separate, if they're salvaging the bricks. Or maybe the demolition methods differ based on the differing structures.

The initial plans for this property (back when Dwelling Place was doing it) involved reusing the original church building and converting it into apartments/common areas. Somewhere along the way, they determined it was too expensive to do that, and their next design was unpopular with neighbors. The LINC design is better, IMHO, but I'm still disappointed that the building won't be saved.

• 3 weeks later...

I was walking around Burton Heights the other day and man there's a ton of trash strewn about the businesses on Division.  The area has a lot of potential, but needs a lot of work.  I have seen business owners out there trying to clean up.  The parking lot behind agave always has smashed beer and liquor bottles all over the place.  That's something the police should be patrolling and the city cleaning up.  I can only imagine what that lot is like on the weekends.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived