Can Columbia regain its place at the top?

Spartan

With the announcement of the new tower in Greenville being a whopping 1 foot taller that the SouthTrust tower- my question is can Columbia regain the tallest in SC title?

Along those lines, do you think Columbia is ready for a mixed-use tower?

I personally think it is long overdue.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from the Greenville Area and yes I do think Columbia can support a new tower of this size or larger. I also would like to point out that if Columbia does regain the highest tower then I will still be happy because I like to see the entire state do well not just one area. SC needs to learn to work together to recuit buisness to the state and quit fighting over meaningless issues.I truely believe that SC is one of the best places in the world to live and with everyone working together it can only get better.

I like the idea of a mixed use tower. They are very popular is Europe and also in Chicago. The idea is just starting to catch on in the north eastern part of the US.

Also, if Blue Cross would stop ripping up virgin territory to build those rambling squat buildings out in the urban sprawl and surrounding them with a sea of black top open parking lots they could build a really nice signature building in midtown Columbia.

I like the idea of a mixed use tower.  They are very popular is Europe and also in Chicago.  The idea is just starting to catch on in the north eastern part of the US.

Also, if Blue Cross would stop ripping up virgin territory to build those rambling squat buildings out in the urban sprawl and surrounding them with a sea of black top open parking lots they could build a really nice signature building in midtown Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. They are big enough to build quite a nice headquarters downtown. I'm sure Columbia will build a taller tower sometime in the near future, whether residential or commercial.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What area does "midtown Columbia" refer to? Is this a name for an area that is now being used?

Yeah w/o a doubt Columbians don't like to think of themselves as second place. So I definately see a 350+ tower in the city in the near future. And I see alot of DT developemt happening in the next decade with the construction of the research campus. I do think it will spark an interesting competion between Greenville, Myrtle Beach, and Columbia though in the next decade or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, I also thought that building would've been better placed Downtown. I remember being puzzled the first time I noticed it (I was little and didn't know tall buildings were outside of downtown).

What if Columbia does regain it's position at the top but it's built across the street from Blue Cross' NE Headquarters? We'd earn a second skyline a'la Atlanta's Sandy Springs area and BC wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb (so much), actually... the areas are similiar with both being at a major highway intersection on the outside loop.

Anyway, I'd love to see an impressive residential highrise regain the title. Especially since central Columbia is becoming such a hot spot.

I'm from the Greenville Area and yes I do think Columbia can support a new tower of this size or larger. I also would like to point out that if Columbia does regain the highest tower then I will still be happy because I like to see the entire state do well not just one area. SC needs to learn to work together to recuit buisness to the state and quit fighting over meaningless issues.I truely believe that SC is one of the best places in the world to live and with everyone working together it can only get better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My work takes me throughout SC and I think you said it best. Amen.

I think a lot depends upon what happens in Mytle Beach.    It just finished building a 329 ft. tower and I don't think it will be the last.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing that occued to me is the fact that MB is quickly running out of ocean-front property. Does anyone think that they will start building taller hotels on the blocks behind Ocean Blvd?

I wouldn't be surprised, although I'm more inclined to think that some of the older places on the oceanfront would be torn down and replaced with the mega-highrises. The cost to buy them would be a worthy investment for having tons of rooms right on the beach. People seem to like that better. :)

• 4 months later...

MB, you're not supposed to give your age away...keep 'em guessing. :P

columbia never lost it reign. columbia is still the largest city in s.c, and it doesn't have to worry about no other city catching it's population except charleston. by the time greenville or who ever has there tower up, believe me columbia will be planning for a new tower. And when a city does get a new tower the office vacancy rate goes down. right now i think columbia is a little over 80% that is not vacant. but it's a good competition. i noticed that when a development is planned for columbia , people don't think nothing of it. You really can tell cities that are not use to these types of growth, because they make such a big deal. when our growth instate in nothing compared to everybody elses. columbia we really don't give our self credit, i don't know if it because were use to being at the top or what. but all the meto's are not growing the same in s.c., i seen it posted numberous of times, now for the future it may be possible in the next 15yrs for columbia to fall off, but i seriously doubt it, when you have coaches like steve spurrier for usc, innovista taking shape, kershaw and lexington couties are the fastest growing counties in the state, and both of them are in the columbia metropolitian area. and columbia has been featured on several national shows, and if you look at BET benedict college is on there for the next 3 days, spurs and 76sixers, over the years anyone who lives in colulmbia can tell you the pace have picked up.and that's just not for columbia, greenville and charleston and myrtle beach as well. we are picking up the pace, sc is not what it use to be 20yrs ago. so it's no competition, the state as a whole need this recongition, cause n.c. steals it all

Archived