Orlando Magic

11 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Meanwhile, Stan?

He had nominal success after separating from the Magic. Laid out of coaching for a year then went to the Pistons who he took to the playoffs after 2 years. He was fired the following year. While at the Pistons he also ran the front office making all roster decisions. He is widely viewed as having wrecked their roster and placed them in salary cap hell for years all while they have not won a single playoff game since making the playoffs in 2016 (14 straight losses). 

Van Gundy was a fan favorite because people liked his straight forward ways and he is (was) a coaching genius in development of offensive schemes. However, continuously berating your employees in public is not a good management skill no matter how much money they are paid and how petulant he may feel they are.  Good coach, good person, bad manager.

I agree with Uncommon the Magic made the wise decision.

Edited by AmIReal

"Sunday night, everyone generally agreed, was a pretty dreadful night. But I learned that Orlando is ready to care about basketball again."

Written by a local boy now in LA - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/23/18512362/nba-playoffs-orlando-magic

I guess we shall see if he is right. I will say I was there for the last 2 playoff games and the crowd was really into it (maybe less so by Q3 Sunday).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, sunshine said:

I know it was just pre-season game, this is going to be a brutal season.  We have no offense. When Fultz, MCW, Bamba, Ross and whatever is out there, Ross is the only person that can score.

Its the exact same team as last year (5th in East) except for the addition of Fultz and Aminu.

11 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

They were 7th.

My bad. You're correct.

30 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Miami has Jimmy Butler and then there is Chicago. No 7 could easily end up number 9.

I don't think the bulls will be very good. Butler improves MIA, but they will likely need to make another deal to make a big move up. Pacers and Nets could move either way, but I don't think either is going to gain more than 2-3 wins over last year. Raptors will likely be a fire sale by trade deadline.  The east looks pretty wide open beyond the top 2 or 3. Magic have to hope Vucevic, Augustine and Ross don't return the mean, Fournier does, Gordon, Issac and Bamba continue to improve and Fultz is at least 75% of what was expected... sounds easy on paper.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Magic unis seem a tad generic to me. I don’t dislike the colors but they do seem to throw out any ties to tradition.

I guess with a record like theirs the last few years, maybe that’s the point.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/orl-magic-jerseys-photos-photogallery.html

From the Sentinel