Orlando Magic

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Heck, even I! would buy season tickets for that if the Pyramid Schemers left town. I bet Shaq would be quicker with the MEC, also. There could be a huuuuge statue of his Shaqness right in the middle!

I totally agree.  the FEEL of it if Shaq took over for me is that it would go well

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Heck, even I! would buy season tickets for that if the alleged Pyramid Schemers left town. I bet Shaq would be quicker with the MEC, also. There could be a huuuuge statue of his Shaqness right in the middle! In his spare time, he could run for OC Sheriff!

Did you ever think Memphis would be the perfect place for our current owners? What would have been more appropriate than playing in The Pyramid?!?

• Haha 1

Bianchi notes Shaq probably can’t afford the Magic. If the price were $2 billion, the NBA requires to put up 80%, or in this case $1.6 billion. Apparently his net worth is only in the mid- nine figures.

Bianchi has a suggestion, though - “Then again, just as team ownership did to Shaq nearly three decades ago, maybe he can turn the tables on the DeVos family and make them an insulting low-ball offer and see if they take it. …” Yep, they were the gang that couldn’t shoot straight almost from the beginning.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-shaq-orlando-magic-mike-bianchi-column-20220629-cvstszblxjchdefbl5x6a24txi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Bianchi notes Shaq probably can’t afford the Magic. If the price were $2 billion, the NBA requires to put up 80%, or in this case $1.6 billion. Apparently his net worth is only in the mid- nine figures.

Bianchi has a suggestion, though - “Then again, just as team ownership did to Shaq nearly three decades ago, maybe he can turn the tables on the DeVos family and make them an insulting low-ball offer and see if they take it. …” Yep, they were the gang that couldn’t shoot straight almost from the beginning.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-shaq-orlando-magic-mike-bianchi-column-20220629-cvstszblxjchdefbl5x6a24txi-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Obviously he needs to bring in Martha Stewart — his BFF. 

• Haha 1

Martha is busy hanging with Snoop.

I think if Shaq bought the Magic, he should put a 100' tall young Shaq on the roof of the Amway Center and change the signage to look like he hand changed the name to the SHAQ-way Center.

s.png

That may be a 300' tall Shaq.  But it should be massive.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I know all of us generally rely on @spenser1058 to keep us informed on the thoughts of his favorite big thinkers, such as Mike Bianchi. Somehow it seems spenser overlooked Mike's recent shout out to the Devos family and the Magic organization.

"In the wake of Hurricane Ian, here’s another million reasons DeVos family is good for the community"

Bianchi says, "As a longtime Orlandoan, I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the DeVos family."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-hurricane-ian-orlando-magic-devos-million-dollars-mike-bianchi-commentary-20221001-hcskkgv4greapel73u4e3pemii-story.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I know all of us generally rely on @spenser1058 to keep us informed on the thoughts of his favorite big thinkers, such as Mike Bianchi. Somehow it seems spenser overlooked Mike's recent shout out to the Devos family and the Magic organization.

"In the wake of Hurricane Ian, here’s another million reasons DeVos family is good for the community"

Bianchi says, "As a longtime Orlandoan, I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the DeVos family."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-hurricane-ian-orlando-magic-devos-million-dollars-mike-bianchi-commentary-20221001-hcskkgv4greapel73u4e3pemii-story.html

Funny he didn’t mention the major contributions also announced by Disney, Universal and macy’s ( those are the first three that came to mind), but then Bianchi has long been a homeboy for the DeVos family although not necessarily the Magic. Which isn’t surprising - his Sentinel predecessor Larry Guest and Pat Williams were thick as thieves in opposing Orlando’s Human Rights Ordinance along with the DeVoses. So, no change there. Bianchi’s takes on political stuff frequently reflect his North Florida/Boomer upbringing - it’s funny when Miami/NY native Marc Daniels gets after him about it. Nevertheless, Marc, as a local sports guru like Bianchi, prizes the access they have to the DeVos clan and they both watch their steps.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Funny he didn’t mention the major contributions also announced by Disney, Universal and macy’s ( those are the first three that came to mind), but then Bianchi has long been a homeboy for the DeVos family although not necessarily the Magic. Which isn’t surprising - his Sentinel predecessor Larry Guest and Pat Williams were thick as thieves in opposing Orlando’s Human Rights Ordinance along with the DeVoses. So, no change there. Bianchi’s takes on political stuff frequently reflect his North Florida/Boomer upbringing - it’s funny when Miami/NY native Marc Daniels gets after him about it. Nevertheless, Marc, as a local sports guru like Bianchi, prizes the access they have to the DeVos clan and they both watch their steps.

As you can see from the article he was talking about teams, their owners and their leagues. That is why he referenced the Glazers, the NFL and the NBA. Since he is a sportswriter, that is what he should write about.  

He did also mention a few other local charitable causes they have contributed to and included this interesting point, "The DeVos family has contributed more than $529 million to nonprofit causes in the last six years, which, according to Forbes, makes them one of the nation’s top givers to charitable organizations."

10 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

As you can see from the article he was talking about teams, their owners and their leagues. That is why he referenced the Glazers, the NFL and the NBA. Since he is a sportswriter, that is what he should write about.  

He did also mention a few other local charitable causes they have contributed to and included this interesting point, "The DeVos family has contributed more than $529 million to nonprofit causes in the last six years, which, according to Forbes, makes them one of the nation’s top givers to charitable organizations."

Yep, and tried to prevent marriage and adoption equality in Florida and the local human rights ordinance and set out to destroy public education across the country while running a scammy business model they try to recruit one for by ambush.

Their business has been all but outlawed in several states where they couldn’t find a judge they could influence. Most of those contributions you’re talking about are tax-deductible and good PR for their company’s toxic image. Forbes is hardly a great source because it’s as right-leaning as they are and fawns over rich people.

Take it elsewhere, please, their values are hideous no matter how much sugar they try to put on them.

I will say nothing else about this loathsome family or  the sweetheart deals they have undeservedly benefited from in this city given the all too often subpar results.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Yep, and tried to prevent marriage and adoption equality in Florida and the local human rights ordinance and set out to destroy public education across the country while running a scammy business model they try to recruit one for by ambush.

Their business has been all but outlawed in several states where they couldn’t find a judge they could influence. Most of those contributions you’re talking about are tax-deductible and good PR for their company’s toxic image. Forbes is hardly a great source because it’s as right-leaning as they are and fawns over rich people.

Take it elsewhere, please, their values are hideous no matter how much sugar they try to put on them.

I will say nothing else about this loathsome family or  the sweetheart deals they have undeservedly benefited from in this city given the all too often subpar results.

So you would prefer they not give money to local charities that help those in need? Thats pretty pathetic.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the Magic, here is a somewhat hyperbolic look at one of our more interesting players.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/11/29/23482975/bol-bol-orlando-magic

It is funny to watch a 7'2 bean pole go coast to coast with a behind the back dribble and euro step to finish with a finger roll from the foul line. Admittedly, highlight films can be made for anyone, but the NBA has not seen these skills in this frame.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:55 AM, AmIReal said:

Speaking of the Magic, here is a somewhat hyperbolic look at one of our more interesting players.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/11/29/23482975/bol-bol-orlando-magic

It is funny to watch a 7'2 bean pole go coast to coast with a behind the back dribble and euro step to finish with a finger roll from the foul line. Admittedly, highlight films can be made for anyone, but the NBA has not seen these skills in this frame.

wow.  that was interesting...he lankily dribbled down to the 3 pt line and shot the tre.  Bol.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

You're awfully quiet now, aren't you? Where are your lame updates?

I cut down on the updates at your request, actually. Should we note that they still have lost twice as many games as they’ve won this season, after losing almost every season for over a decade?

Nevertheless, please let me congratulate you for that splendid record so far!

Since you seem to want me to post the updates again, I’m pleased to return to updating regularly. The fantastic Orlando Magic is 11-20 - what an accomplishment!

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I cut down on the updates at your request, actually. Should we note that they still have lost twice as many games as they’ve won this season, after losing almost every season for over a decade?

Nevertheless, please let me congratulate you for that splendid record so far!

Since you seem to want me to post the updates again, I’m pleased to return to updating regularly. The fantastic Orlando Magic is 11-20 - what an accomplishment!

Yeah I'm sure you cut down just as the team began winning 🙄

Keep that same energy, win or lose; otherwise you're just a see-through opportunist with a shamefully clear agenda.

I confess that I'm not a Magic fan, but I do enjoy the hoops.   This Magic team, despite the record, is a very exciting team and better than their record.  Bol Bol & Mo Bamba are super exciting on the court.  Paolo is a stud-in-waiting and Suggs plays really well in stretches.  They aren't quite there and there are definitely pieces missing right now, but it's a team with a lot of potential.

Is anyone other than the DeVos family excited that the DeVos family owns the team?  I doubt it, but the team itself is a team with a shot in the very near future.

I tend to follow the college game.  Spense will assume TOSU but I'm very fluid in my college fandom and follow several teams each year.  I tend to root strongly for all the teams in the MidWest, with the glaring exception of UK.  I will never root for those vermin.  Other teams I won't root for are both UNC & Duke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I confess that I'm not a Magic fan, but I do enjoy the hoops.   This Magic team, despite the record, is a very exciting team and better than their record.  Bol Bol & Mo Bamba are super exciting on the court.  Paolo is a stud-in-waiting and Suggs plays really well in stretches.  They aren't quite there and there are definitely pieces missing right now, but it's a team with a lot of potential.

Is anyone other than the DeVos family excited that the DeVos family owns the team?  I doubt it, but the team itself is a team with a shot in the very near future.

I tend to follow the college game.  Spense will assume TOSU but I'm very fluid in my college fandom and follow several teams each year.  I tend to root strongly for all the teams in the MidWest, with the glaring exception of UK.  I will never root for those vermin.  Other teams I won't root for are both UNC & Duke.

It’s just a matter of time ‘til you’re ready to Charge On! Coach D’s off to a good start this year as he gets us ready for the Big XII.