Recent Debates/Problems/etc.

WAJAS

Both sides in the last few pages of the "Comparing Orlando..." thread have gone from relatively sane banter to outright insults and comments that add little to the discussion.  The purpose of this thread is to show some of these posts out of context to attempt to show the below points in a more general sense.  Discussion may relate to how to solve the recent issues or why you may think they are occurring.  We all share a common interest with varied perspectives, which is the beauty of forums like this.  Please, don't ruin it.  I urge all of you to reread the rules of the forum whenever you get the time.  Here it goes:

If you feel someone is out of line (ie. they personally insult you and/or add nothing of substance to a discussion), then report the post.  It isn't difficult.  Insults lead to more insults, which lead to a black hole of sanity and meaningful discussion.  (Granted I don't actually know if the moderators on this forum are active enough to do anything.)

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

WOOOOOOOOOOO...... :o

A meeting??????? 

What a unique and clever idea!!!!

Talk about thinking outside the box!!!!

That'll fix everything!!!!

All our problems are solved, Florida!!!!

I am Reality is having a meeting at his son's school!!!

Who else but he could've thought of something so ingenious????

We're all just in such humble awe of you and your mighty awesomeness!!! :o

Yay for you!!!!! :yahoo:

:yawn:

So IOW, all your previous obsessed ranting on the subject has just been a lot of hyperbolic trolling, right?

Got it.

If you see this person as not contributing to this discussion and consider it unnecessary, then why do you mimic it in your own post.  You are generally doing exactly what you dislike him for.  You finally make a meaningful point at the end of the post, but then surround it with ridiculous hyperbole ("obsessed") and confrontational language ("ranting," "trolling").  Just make your point and move on.

And towards the group as a whole, why gang up on another forum member just because you have different points of view on a topic?  The only way posts like the above appear to be appropriate is when the surrounding posts do the exact same thing in a less extreme manner.  It's how the American parties always tend to become more extreme overtime until they reach a breaking point.

8 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Let's hope they don't grow up to be arrogant, humorless, judgemental, self-important d-bags like someone else we know. :whistling:

This is an objectively bad post.  It adds nothing to the discussion of "Comparing Orlando..." or any subtopic that may come up with it.  It is only a direct personal insult at another forum member, which is explicitly against the rules of this forum.

7 hours ago, I am Reality said:

You should be ashamed of yourself.  You are seriously giving me crap about a school meeting?

My son is a special-needs student. I made an appointment to arrange for accommodations for him next year. I really don't want the high school f'ing everything up like the crapty middle school did.  

IS THAT ALRIGHT WITH YOU?  

You are a horrible, horrible person.

I was asked a question and I gave an honest answer.  If you don't like the answer, too damn bad. 

I have know been relentlessly attacked for raising the issue of school quality in the area.  Fine...you win.  The schools here are amazing.  World-class.  Beyond belief.  Spectacular.  Where the hell did I even get off raising the issue?

Do me a favor.  Talk more about the f'ing Ferris wheel. 

While the quoted member's post was inflammatory and completely unnecessary, the response should be to report the user and, if you wish, inform them of the context, which they can't be blamed for not knowing.   It at the very least makes you appear like the higher party if that is what you want.

7 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Yay Orlando.  We have the best schools in the world!!!  Yay!!!  We are so lucky.  We have the best schools and the best jobs and best free-admission policies for theme-park workers.  We are sooooo lucky.  Yay!!!  

Again, unnecessary and openly mocking the 'other side' without adding anything of substance to the discussion.  You cannot brute force someone to accept your point of view by mocking them.  You can do it by citing current and correct information to battle their points.

I'd go on but I think you guys get the point.  While I used specific posts to show the trend, these are not the only members who are doing the above at the same level or slightly below.  I hope those quoted are not insulted by my responses.  I attempted to keep them as objective and general as possible, so the points apply to everyone.

PS: Anything on a public forum like this one should be mentally prefixed with IMO in most cases.  It can help contextualize some of the more subjective arguments.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, WAJAS98 said:

Both sides in the last few pages of the "Comparing Orlando..." thread have gone from relatively sane banter to outright insults and comments that add little to the discussion.  The purpose of this thread is to show some of these posts out of context to attempt to show the below points in a more general sense.  Discussion may relate to how to solve the recent issues or why you may think they are occurring.  We all share a common interest with varied perspectives, which is the beauty of forums like this.  Please, don't ruin it.  I urge all of you to reread the rules of the forum whenever you get the time.  Here it goes:

If you feel someone is out of line (ie. they personally insult you and/or add nothing of substance to a discussion), then report the post.  It isn't difficult.  Insults lead to more insults, which lead to a black hole of sanity and meaningful discussion.  (Granted I don't actually know if the moderators on this forum are active enough to do anything.)

If you see this person as not contributing to this discussion and consider it unnecessary, then why do you mimic it in your own post.  You are generally doing exactly what you dislike him for.  You finally make a meaningful point at the end of the post, but then surround it with ridiculous hyperbole ("obsessed") and confrontational language ("ranting," "trolling").  Just make your point and move on.

And towards the group as a whole, why gang up on another forum member just because you have different points of view on a topic?  The only way posts like the above appear to be appropriate is when the surrounding posts do the exact same thing in a less extreme manner.  It's how the American parties always tend to become more extreme overtime until they reach a breaking point.

This is an objectively bad post.  It adds nothing to the discussion of "Comparing Orlando..." or any subtopic that may come up with it.  It is only a direct personal insult at another forum member, which is explicitly against the rules of this forum.

While the quoted member's post was inflammatory and completely unnecessary, the response should be to report the user and, if you wish, inform them of the context, which they can't be blamed for not knowing.   It at the very least makes you appear like the higher party if that is what you want.

Again, unnecessary and openly mocking the 'other side' without adding anything of substance to the discussion.  You cannot brute force someone to accept your point of view by mocking them.  You can do it by citing current and correct information to battle their points.

I'd go on but I think you guys get the point.  While I used specific posts to show the trend, these are not the only members who are doing the above at the same level or slightly below.  I hope those quoted are not insulted by my responses.  I attempted to keep them as objective and general as possible, so the points apply to everyone.

PS: Anything on a public forum like this one should be mentally prefixed with IMO in most cases.  It can help contextualize some of the more subjective arguments.

I agree with everything you said.   You were fair and even-handed.  

I am leaving the group.  Many lines have been crossed and it's not productive for anyone.  Having said that, I try my hardest to not take anything personal.  I hope others do the same.  I honestly hope everyone finds what they are looking for (ie. more development, more downtown energy, taller buildings).   When your vision of Orlando is finally reached, that means I will get my better-paying jobs and hopefully better schools.   It will be a win-win.   Until then, I wish everyone the best.     

Archived