Hyatt Caption Hotel, 12 stories/210 rooms/ground level restaurant/internal garage, 118 12th Ave. South (formerly 10 story M Hotel proposal)

markhollin

It's a good size and fit for the area. 

I don't hate the design, but I wish there were more windows (maybe not to the extent of glass box, but say about 20% more than what is there). Not a fan of the roof line. That could be dressed up a little.

My worry is that this design will be dated as soon as it is built. It will be one of those that 40-50 years from now people will say, "definitely a 2010s era building..."

I do like that it will be a little different, and I like that more is being proposed to "link" the two Gulch developments.

• Like 2

Interview with Chris Hyndman about his new hotel project in NBJ today.  Some highlights:

- Our strategy is to add … the epic array of amenities that this private club provides — amenities you'd never see in a hotel, certainly one of this boutique size.

- It's designed to attract the more savvy traveler rather than a typical tourist. It's a way for the hotel guest to really plug into the city and live that couple of days they're here as a local, rather than more of a generic tourist experience.

- The story for the local community is the membership for the creative class.  I'm not ready to say what the cost of membership will be at this time.

- We have a banking partner and we have the equity (all lined up).

- Eleventh House is a different ownership group [than M Street]. M Street Entertainment Group will operate it. But I'll own it with another group of investors, but Jim Caden is not part of it . Some of those are common ownership with other restaurants, but not all.

- Eleventh House won't occupy 100 percent of the land we are buying. The balance of the land will be surface parking in the immediate, with obviously the plan to eventually develop that as well.

More behind theNBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/16/q-a-what-makes-this-70m-gulch-hotel-different-the.html?s=print

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

This design is VERY Swedish/European. I love it and hope that Nashville gets more of it in the coming years! I think this design looks similar to the Joseph rendering. 

I agree. I know some people aren't a fan of the design, but I think it will be unique. I kind of wish there wasn't a surface lot next to the building, but we can't win them all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, erdichia said:

I agree. I know some people aren't a fan of the design, but I think it will be unique. I kind of wish there wasn't a surface lot next to the building, but we can't win them all.

The good news is that the article said that the group plans for using the lot as a temporary measure to be developed later. 

• Like 2

I think the design would be much less attractive if the building were taller/bigger. Instead, it's near-human scale makes it more interesting than ugly IMHO. Additionally, it's going to be a club  (not sure how that's going to work) and the rooms will be very large and upscale. Overall, my word for this building is "Interesting". 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The sale of the property was completed Friday for $11.5 million.  That works out to $238 per sq. ft.  The schedule still calls for a 4th quarter 2018 start, and summer 2020 finish.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21009676/gulch-site-eyed-for-boutique-hotel-sells-for-115m

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

314796901_ScreenShot2018-09-28at10_17_45PM.thumb.png.57d3d49ab368f6f9a72628e92ed4fc41.png

BTW, GBID is taking over landscaping duties on these right-of-way plantings which are NOT being maintained by Metro.  This is on 11th Ave S between Broadway and Demonbreun.  Expect some decent and well-maintained shrubbery here, perhaps as early as late October.

Edited by Mr_Bond
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

BTW, GBID is taking over landscaping duties on these right-of-way plantings which are NOT being maintained by Metro.  This is on 11th Ave S between Broadway and Demonbreun.  Expect some decent and well-maintained shrubbery here, perhaps as early as late October.

Those areas are rain gardens that assist in treating runoff from Eleventh Avenue (note the curb cuts). Hopefully the GBID is aware or will be made aware that the landscaping needs to be selected and maintained to facilitate that function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, gstory said:

From what I've heard they are no longer planning a hotel at this location because of the cost to cleanup the former brownfield. The new plan is to build a hotel where Whisky Kitchen is. Whisky Kitchen is moving to the old Virago location to make way for the hotel. The M Street offices are moving from a building in the Gulch Union footprint to where the former private club Citizen was located.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve heard the same thing. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...