M 12 Hotel, 10 stories, 88 rooms, restaurant/bar, $70 million, 118 12th Ave. South

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I've heard they are no longer planning a hotel at this location because of the cost to cleanup the former brownfield. The new plan is to build a hotel where Whisky Kitchen is. Whisky Kitch

Simpsons BMI did it first.

Posted Images

It's a good size and fit for the area. 

I don't hate the design, but I wish there were more windows (maybe not to the extent of glass box, but say about 20% more than what is there). Not a fan of the roof line. That could be dressed up a little.

My worry is that this design will be dated as soon as it is built. It will be one of those that 40-50 years from now people will say, "definitely a 2010s era building..."

I do like that it will be a little different, and I like that more is being proposed to "link" the two Gulch developments.

• Like 2

Interview with Chris Hyndman about his new hotel project in NBJ today.  Some highlights:

- Our strategy is to add … the epic array of amenities that this private club provides — amenities you'd never see in a hotel, certainly one of this boutique size.

- It's designed to attract the more savvy traveler rather than a typical tourist. It's a way for the hotel guest to really plug into the city and live that couple of days they're here as a local, rather than more of a generic tourist experience.

- The story for the local community is the membership for the creative class.  I'm not ready to say what the cost of membership will be at this time.

- We have a banking partner and we have the equity (all lined up).

- Eleventh House is a different ownership group [than M Street]. M Street Entertainment Group will operate it. But I'll own it with another group of investors, but Jim Caden is not part of it . Some of those are common ownership with other restaurants, but not all.

- Eleventh House won't occupy 100 percent of the land we are buying. The balance of the land will be surface parking in the immediate, with obviously the plan to eventually develop that as well.

More behind theNBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/05/16/q-a-what-makes-this-70m-gulch-hotel-different-the.html?s=print

• Like 2
12 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

This design is VERY Swedish/European. I love it and hope that Nashville gets more of it in the coming years! I think this design looks similar to the Joseph rendering. 

I agree. I know some people aren't a fan of the design, but I think it will be unique. I kind of wish there wasn't a surface lot next to the building, but we can't win them all.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, erdichia said:

I agree. I know some people aren't a fan of the design, but I think it will be unique. I kind of wish there wasn't a surface lot next to the building, but we can't win them all.

The good news is that the article said that the group plans for using the lot as a temporary measure to be developed later. 

• Like 2

I think the design would be much less attractive if the building were taller/bigger. Instead, it's near-human scale makes it more interesting than ugly IMHO. Additionally, it's going to be a club  (not sure how that's going to work) and the rooms will be very large and upscale. Overall, my word for this building is "Interesting". 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The sale of the property was completed Friday for $11.5 million.  That works out to $238 per sq. ft.  The schedule still calls for a 4th quarter 2018 start, and summer 2020 finish.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21009676/gulch-site-eyed-for-boutique-hotel-sells-for-115m

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

314796901_ScreenShot2018-09-28at10_17_45PM.thumb.png.57d3d49ab368f6f9a72628e92ed4fc41.png

BTW, GBID is taking over landscaping duties on these right-of-way plantings which are NOT being maintained by Metro.  This is on 11th Ave S between Broadway and Demonbreun.  Expect some decent and well-maintained shrubbery here, perhaps as early as late October.

Edited by Mr_Bond
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

BTW, GBID is taking over landscaping duties on these right-of-way plantings which are NOT being maintained by Metro.  This is on 11th Ave S between Broadway and Demonbreun.  Expect some decent and well-maintained shrubbery here, perhaps as early as late October.

Those areas are rain gardens that assist in treating runoff from Eleventh Avenue (note the curb cuts). Hopefully the GBID is aware or will be made aware that the landscaping needs to be selected and maintained to facilitate that function.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 8 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:00 PM, gstory said:

From what I've heard they are no longer planning a hotel at this location because of the cost to cleanup the former brownfield. The new plan is to build a hotel where Whisky Kitchen is. Whisky Kitchen is moving to the old Virago location to make way for the hotel. The M Street offices are moving from a building in the Gulch Union footprint to where the former private club Citizen was located.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve heard the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By markhollin
      RMR Group out of Massachusetts is planning a massive mixed-use project at 111 North 1st Street on the East Bank on the 16.72 acres that currently houses the TravelCenters of America (TA) Truck Stop. It will include 3 million sq. ft. of office, retail, residential, and hotel space.  Some of the buildings could be as tall as 30 stories.  Probably will not get underway until at least 2022.  No renderings as of yet.
      The 16-acre site is bordered by a CSX railway to the north, James Robertson Parkway to the south, Interstate 24 to the east and North First Street to the west. 
      RMR has enlisted a local team of Hastings Architecture Associates, attorney Shawn Henry of Tune Entrekin & White, civil engineering firm Barge Cauthen and traffic engineering and analysis company KCI.

RMR has $32 billion in assets. 

More behind Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21143702/largescale-mixeduse-project-eyed-for-east-bank

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/10/01/rmr-group-east-bank-ta-truck-stop-development.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

• By markhollin
      This is a massive development taking up 7.16 acres of the 11 acres that the Jim Reed family has owned since 1930. The lot is approximately twice the size of Broadwest and 2/3 the size of  Nashville Yards.  The developer is unknown, but may involve the Reed family. This info came forth in Water and Sewer Availability documents submitted to Metro Water.

Here's what is being planned:

-1,500,000 sq. ft. of office space (my guess is 2 towers of 30 stories each)
      - 800 residential units (my guess is two towers of  30 stories each)
      - 350 room hotel (my guess around 20 stories)
      - 150,000 sq. ft. of retail
      - 1,334 seats worth of restaurant space
      - Retaining the 1920s-era former brick Coca Cola plant that was turned into the Reed Chevrolet showroom/warehouse (2 stories, 159,000 sq. ft.)  in the 70s at the SE corner of Church and 16th Ave. North.  Yay!  

- Not listed, but most assuredly part of the plan would probably be at least 3,000 parking spaces  (even larger than the 7 level underground space at Broadwest.

My guess is this will be in the  $1 billion cost range.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/02/24/document-sketches-massive-development-for-broadway.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

And behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21117918/multiple-buildings-eyed-for-reed-midtown-site

This screen snot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in gray at the center of the frame:

This is the 1920s-era Coca Cola Plant was bought by Jim Reed Chevrolet and used as a showroom/warehouse (2 stories, 159,000 sq. ft.)  starting in the 70s.  It will be repurposed as part of the development):

• By markhollin
      Market Street Enterprises announces their newest structure in their Gulch development: Three Thirty Three office building.  It will be a 5 story brick and glass structure featuring 69,000 sq. ft. of office space on top of a first floor primarily made up of 11,000 sq. ft. of retail that will face both Pine and 11th Ave. South.   It will be located at the NW corner of Pine and 11th Ave. North in The Gulch. Construction slated to begin this fall, and a finish is slated for late 2019.

Adjacent to the building on the north side will be Noble Park, featuring a wooden boardwalk, and a 12 foot high by 42 foot wide water wall.  There will also be a deck that can serve as a stage for performances.

The architect is Earl Swensson, and Turner will be construction company.

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21015868/marketstreet-sets-fall-start-on-next-gulch-building

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/07/31/turners-tee-up-office-building-park-for-next-gulch.html

Tennessean coverage:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/07/31/nashville-gulch-three-thirty-three-development/874133002/

The site is the teal square at NW corner of Pine and 11th Ave. North in the center of this screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent Development Map:

• By markhollin
      This development is large enough that it deserves it's own thread.  Lifestyle Communities will develop another great looking residential community in the Rutledge Hill area covering the better part of two blocks running along the north side of Ash Street between 2nd Ave. South and the west side of 3rd Ave. South.
      The first phase will be 11 stories tall at it's apex, but will have 3 and 7 story sections near the front entrance at 719 Third Ave. South.  There will also be two levels of parking in an underground garage. This phase covers .86 acres. Completion date is set for 

The second phase is rumored to be 6 stories tall and will encompass about 430 apartments, and will cover about 1.44 acres between 3rd and 2nd Avenues South.  No renderings nor word yet on start date for the second stage.  

My guess is that there will be some retail/restaurant space incorporated into at least a portion of the ground levels, as that is what Lifestyle Communities is doing with it's similar-sized development in Germantown.

I really like the design on Phase I, and if the rest of the project reflects the same dynamic, I think this will be a very nice addition to that neighborhood. Classy stuff, just like the development they are putting together in G-Town.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/03/24/first-look-amenity-deck-planned-168-unit-lc-sobro-apartment-tower/99550528/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/03/24/first-look-after-germantown-apartment-developer.html

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20856137/june-start-date-eyed-for-sobro-apartment-development

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.