1000 Room Convention Center Hotel

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s good news then.  Maybe they can do a 1,000’ RAMSA on the old Duke site.  I think it would be a huge success.

I think they are sticking with LS3P, and your condo ideas are stuff of fever dreams not reality, if Im being completely honest.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that the condos can happen here eventually, especially as more HQs relocate to Charlotte.

I think condos are possible in small doses. *hotel & residents* type situations.

So maybe 25 full-floor condos with 20 foot ceilings, sitting upon a very nice hotel with perhaps boutique office space, yielding a roughly 900 foot tall tower.   

Can’t decide if you are being sarcastic or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Can’t decide if you are being sarcastic or not

I'm serious.  I think that this is totally viable.  There are many homes in Myers Park, SouthPark, Union County, and Lake Norman that sell for $2m plus.  Therefore, I see a demand for a mere 25 mansions in the sky.

Edited by SydneyCarton

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm serious.  I think that this is totally viable.  There are many homes in Myers Park, SouthPark, Union County, and Lake Norman that sell for $2m plus.  Therefore, I see a demand for a mere 25 mansions in the sky.

To your point, just a quick spin on the Queen’s Loot lends the impression that there is a STAGGERING amount of wealth in this city. That said, how many want to live in the clouds ?

• Like 1

There are 442 homes for sale for $1m or more in the Charlotte metro area.  I think that the market can absorb 25  full floor condos.

I think we could absorb 5-8 full floor condos, depending on how many long term panthers/hornets contracts we can sign. It’s just not the Charlotte lifestyle. Sure I know bachelor Charlotteans that make $500k a year. Eventually they meet someone who wants to live somewhere other than downtown. Hell a good 60% of condo purchases, sublets.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think we could absorb 5-8 full floor condos, depending on how many long term panthers/hornets contracts we can sign. It’s just not the Charlotte lifestyle. Sure I know bachelor Charlotteans that make $500k a year. Eventually they meet someone who wants to live somewhere other than downtown. Hell a good 60% of condo   purchases, sublets.

Maybe one day.  When I first came to Charlotte for a visit in 1993, it was a small, sleepy Southern town that bore virtually no resemblance to what it has become.  Who knows what the future holds?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

"This has always been the perfect reason to have giant evening-and-weekend uses in the central business district.  Not only do you have the potential to entertain many workers to stay past rush hour, but you also leverage all the infrastructure built for office rush hour for relatively much smaller number of people.   If parking and streets are built for 100-150K people, 60K from a stadium is not so bad other than they are leaving simultaneously.      Hotels near where the people are going are ways to reduce some traffic, not add as much to it.   ..."

I agree 100%..  I also want to add, much to the consternation of many on here,  'road diets' don't necessarily help in and out of downtown. It's honorable to want to corral folks in the center and keep them there, but the fact is, we need to be able to ingress and egress easily.  Getting bogged down in bottle necks to and from the center city only puts a bad taste in visitors' mouths. 

I like to reference Portland, Oregon a lot.  (We go there every vacation).  Their downtown is alive with activity. Yes, many live there. Yes, there are restrictions on sprawl, but also, they keep their four-lane arteries open in and out of town.

• 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Before everyone has a stroke that this is big announcement it is not.  However this study of top convention and meeting destinations which Charlotte appears on does show the issue of why a larger hotel with more committable rooms is needed.  Look at our 700 rooms vs our peer cities.   Charlotte excels in business travel and that is why other hotels don't like to block off big blocks of rooms for conventions because every weekday Charlotte is pretty full.    If the Hotel taxes are only to be used for tourism projects and the commitment for current 700 room Westin is almost over,  we do need to get planning on a larger hotel.   and the absolute perfect site is coming up for sale the Duke data center site on S College. 

https://www.cvent.com/microsites/cvents-2019-top-meeting-destinations/cvents-top-50-meeting-destinations-in-the-us

wow much more competitive to other places than I expected. I guess our 700 hotel room size is a big impediment. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I know there won't be any talk of further expanding event space/building a 1000 room hotel anytime soon because of the current situation but I think that the Duke data site adjacent to the convention center would be the perfect fit. If the floor plan of the high rise is large enough, couldn't they build additional meeting space/ballrooms vertically in addition to the hotel to expand the square footage offered at CLT's convention center? I made a mock up of what the massing of such a project could look like using paint and the NYT building in NYC as my example. I think it would fit into the neighborhood pretty well. Not gonna lie, this took me longer than it should have and I know it doesn't look great but I was bored/curious and figured I'd share.

254360734_1000fthotelmockup.png.a1f7fc3919575dfb3f65499047c376ca.png

This is the already the plan. 40-45 floor hotel, 1000-1200 rooms, a lot of meeting space, overstreet mall connection. Who knows what will happen with it.

Its worth noting though, the exhibition hall cannot be expanded further because of how it is oriented underground, hemmed in by loading docks. 

I would have rathered them scrapped the current addition, and looked toward creating a convention district on the rest of the Pipe & Foundry land, beside the New Panthers/MLS Stadium. I'd rather this because our current convention center is too small for our market size, and we should be building something more like Nashville's.

Edited by Guest

Building a new CC would have been ideal, but it seems like the city is all in with  it's current location and the $100+ mil renovation going on.  IIRC, that big lot next to the NHOF is being saved for future expansion?   If so, that seems like an alternative as well to adding more space.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Building a new CC would have been ideal, but it seems like the city is all in with  it's current location and the $100+ mil renovation going on.  IIRC, that big lot next to the NHOF is being saved for future expansion?   If so, that seems like an alternative as well to adding more space.

yea but adding more space doesn't fix the fundamental problem, the exhibition floor can't be made bigger. But yea, I know they seem to be all in on this convention center. sigh

13 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

yea but adding more space doesn't fix the fundamental problem, the exhibition floor can't be made bigger. But yea, I know they seem to be all in on this convention center. sigh

I thought that the plan was put into place because there are fewer conventions using the main exhibit hall, and many more that are using smaller meeting spaces but with more attendees. It's more about total square footage and flexibility than exhibit hall size nowadays. Nashville's main hall is only about 73,000 sq ft larger than the CCC.

• Like 2

The data center area is larger than 75k sq ft. So a few levels bringing it to the height of the current convention center could give 50% increase in meeting space and smaller ballrooms. I get that the exhibition hall can't be expanded @Tyree Ricardo but like @CLT> said, isn't the demand kind of flat for needing the full exhibition space and higher for business style meetings that want more breakout areas?

• Like 2

Just now, Nick2 said:

The data center area is larger than 75k sq ft. So a few levels bringing it to the height of the current convention center could give 50% increase in meeting space and smaller ballrooms. I get that the exhibition hall can't be expanded @Tyree Ricardo but like @CLT> said, isn't the demand kind of flat for needing the full exhibition space and higher for business style meetings that want more breakout areas?

I've seen a few reports that our main exhibition hall is too small to land some of the big ticket conventions. But CLT> does have a good point that Nashville's is only 30%. larger. There is also reports that we don't have the hotel capacity for those events anyways. Honestly I don't really have a current opinion of the matter, too much is in question in the world.