1000 Room Convention Center Hotel

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It is non subscriber article but here is what it says about the hotel and why this expansion is important:

""“It addresses the top two concerns” from meeting planners about the convention center, said Ron Kimble, a consultant on tourism projects and former Charlotte deputy city manager. “Creating more meeting rooms and attaching to joint, adjacent hotels.”  The Westin is the city’s largest hotel, with 700 rooms. It’s considered the main convention hotel because of its size and proximity to the convention center, though tourism boosters have publicly discussed interest in recent months about building a 1,000-room hotel.""

Thanks, tantalizing.

• Haha 2

So if they go through with the skywalk connection to the westin, that's sounding like either the potential 1000 roomer wont be close to the CC (data center, part of DEC2, etc) or the plans are so far out, that a skywalk would still be a viable option. My thought was that the city wants this sooner rather than later...and if the only reason was to connect to the Westin bc it's considered the CC hotel here (currently), then save some money and scratch it until you get a real CC hotel. 

It may be that they just want better connectivity to stonewall station, whole foods etc, which is fine too. I think we need a brand spanking new convention hotel either way. I wouldn't say desperate, but the Westin is in need of some major renos. Was there the other week and while the lobby area is very nice and grand, the rooms need some love.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I don't know... I think that the Skywalk to the Westin might be sold as a rail trail/ cross charlotte addition, with a convenient bonus for convention goers while double dipping on funding sources.

Thats literally what it is. The idea is to connect the convention center to the Stonewall Station Transit platform, which will be connected to the Railtrail over 277 in the next few years. Who called it a Westin Skywalk? Its a Railtrail extension. The convention center hotel is in planning, most likely at the Data Center, the question is will it start in 2021-22 or 2025-26, and how much additional space can it get.

Edited by Guest

I would think the data center would be the best location for a new  convention hotel.  It would be great if the convention center could be expanded

with the hotel built above.  Looking on a map if the date center land could be used to expand the convention center it could grow by about

25%.  I know that is not enough for what we need but that would be a nice expansion if possible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Thats literally what it is. The idea is to connect the convention center to the Stonewall Station Transit platform, which will be connected to the Railtrail over 277 in the next few years. Who called it a Westin Skywalk? Its a Railtrail extension. The convention center hotel is in planning, most likely at the Data Center, the question is will it start in 2021-22 or 2025-26, and how much additional space can it get.

Right.  I hope no one would support a pedestrian bridge at significant cost just so conventioneers staying at the Westin didn't have to walk across the street.  This is all about connecting the Rail Trail (or at least that's what I always thought it was about).

8 minutes ago, midtownclt said:

I would think the data center would be the best location for a new  convention hotel.  It would be great if the convention center could be expanded

with the hotel built above.  Looking on a map if the date center land could be used to expand the convention center it could grow by about

25%.  I know that is not enough for what we need but that would be a nice expansion if possible.

You could only build more ballrooms and meeting rooms, which is what is planned from what I understand. Theres physically no way to expand the exhibition space, its subterreanean and hemmed in with loading docks. I mean maybe its possible, but it seems like it would take a herculean effort to make it happen. You'd have to dig down, move the loading docks to the blank space on the map, then demo the current loading docks, and make everyone load through a construction zone, and then slowly build out the exhibition hall another to expand another 20%.  Probably would be a $300M endeavor (Convention Hotel is going to be $300M by itself), and would probably put the convention center out of commission for a while.  

image.png.6c85e0663642f8c42eb52c33f1c70519.png

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I bet you are right about the difficulty in expanding the floor space - and I am sure it would be cost prohibitive.

At least we will get more ballroom and meeting space with a new 1000 room hotel but it is a shame we can't get more floor space.

The city should have saved some land where Stonewall Station is located for major expansion.   I am afraid once we build the 1000

room hotel - we will be looking at First Ward, South End of somewhere else to build a much larger convention center in the near future.

52 minutes ago, midtownclt said:

we will be looking at First Ward, South End of somewhere else to build a much larger convention center in the near future.

I think the most likely location would be Charlotte Pipe & Foundry in conjunction with a domed NFL Stadium for the Panthers, that or somewhere in "the West End" area. 

That said. I don't think the convention business is growing enough to invest in rebuilding a new convention center on par with Music City Center, unfortunately.

Also, If you look at Austin, their Exhibition space is actually smaller than ours by 40,000 sq feet, and they are building like 3 convention hotels or something crazy. However, their convention center also has a 6000 seat sports hall, and a way bigger ball room, and total is about double the size. Maybe all we need is to build a crap ton of meeting rooms in the base of the new Convention Hotel.

52 minutes ago, midtownclt said:

The city should have saved some land where Stonewall Station is located for major expansion.   I am afraid once we build the 1000

They did. Theres land directly adjacent to Nascar Hall of Fame, the blank land between the clocktower and Stonewall Station. You would just have to connect through the ballroom that exists inside Nascar hall of Fame. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 3.07.04 PM.png

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think the most likely location would be Charlotte Pipe & Foundry in conjunction with a domed NFL Stadium for the Panthers, that or somewhere in "the West End" area. 

That said. I don't think the convention business is growing enough to invest in rebuilding a new convention center on par with Music City Center, unfortunately.

Also, If you look at Austin, their Exhibition space is actually smaller than ours by 40,000 sq feet, and they are building like 3 convention hotels or something crazy. However, their convention center also has a 6000 seat sports hall, and a way bigger ball room, and total is about double the size. Maybe all we need is to build a crap ton of meeting rooms in the base of the new Convention Hotel.

They did. Theres land directly adjacent to Nascar Hall of Fame, the blank land between the clocktower and Stonewall Station. You would just have to connect through the ballroom that exists inside Nascar hall of Fame. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 3.07.04 PM.png

So...what is preventing that site from becoming the loading dock?  Lets say that they ran an underground corridor to the existing truck ramp and then freed up the current loading dock for expansion and the base of the Hotel.

2 minutes ago, DMann said:

So...what is preventing that site from becoming the loading dock?  Lets say that they ran an underground corridor to the existing truck ramp and then freed up the current loading dock for expansion and the base of the Hotel.

I'm assuming you are talking the Data Center Land? I guess nothing but tax payer dollars, or something I don't know enough about to comment on hah. Speaking from my armchair, money seems like the biggest obstacle. Is it worth a fudge ton of money to move a loading dock to gain probably 20% of space to the exhibition hall?  I also am not sure what on this site plan is elevators, etc that can't be moved.

image.thumb.png.3c5ddf715608877971231b2de4672c0e.png

Okay did some research about what all the blobs mean, and I guess you could do something like this... which would probably get us to 360k of exhibition space, Purple is "proposed expansion" of mine. Again tho, THIS IS ALL UNEDUCATED SPECULATION. I've never surveyed the site, and I'm definitely not a professional in any capacity.

Here is detailed shot of the exhibition hall

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 4.03.18 PM.png

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.3c5ddf715608877971231b2de4672c0e.png

Okay did some research about what all the blobs mean, and I guess you could do something like this... which would probably get us to 360k of exhibition space, Purple is "proposed expansion" of mine. Again tho, THIS IS ALL UNEDUCATED SPECULATION. I've never surveyed the site, and I'm definitely not a professional in any capacity.

The drawback to this would be that half the trucks wouldn't be backing to a loading dock.  I think they all need dock access...  I think your gut was right.  The geometry does not work.  As for crossing Caldwell... I don't think they even need to go though a ballroom.  Ithink the concourse lines up here

Edited by archiham04

13 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

The drawback to this would be that the trucks wouldn't be backing to a loading dock.  I think they all need dock access...  I think your gut was right.  The geometry does not work.  As for crossing Caldwell... I don't think they even need to go though a ballroom

Yup, Bingo. Theres just really no way. without some sort of advancement in modern engineering. or by digging an additional floor down. Again, not worth the investment, we are stuck at 280k worth of exhibition space

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, DMann said:

CP&F would be the perfect spot for a new stadium but a terrible spot for a convention center (IMO)...it's too remote for that use.

I do agree that the land across from HOF on Stonewall will eventually be used for CC expansion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JBS said:

CP&F would be the perfect spot for a new stadium but a terrible spot for a convention center (IMO)...it's too remote for that use.

I do agree that the land across from HOF on Stonewall will eventually be used for CC expansion.

Just curious. Why is it terrible? I don't think its great, its probably a bad idea, but I don't think its terrible either.  Lets say you moved the stadium and convention center over there, the stadium land becomes a developable asset, and an automatic extension of uptown as Stonewall continues bleeding its way down there. By then the alignment for the Silver Line is likely announced going down Stonewall up Wilkinson, and you then do a Convention Center Station, linking the convention center to tryon st. via rail. Not to mention, theres plenty of room for growth on Cedar, Morehead, etc.  You could build an entire district there. Its hemmed in with highways, but I'd rather my single use buildings in these type of areas.

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Just curious. Why is it terrible? I don't think its great, its probably a bad idea, but I don't think its terrible either.  Lets say you moved the stadium and convention center over there, the stadium land becomes a developable asset, and an automatic extension of uptown as Stonewall continues bleeding its way down there. By then the alignment for the Silver Line is likely announced going down Stonewall up Wilkinson, and you then do a Convention Center Station, linking the convention center to tryon st. via rail. Not to mention, theres plenty of room for growth on Cedar, Morehead, etc.  You could build an entire district there. Its hemmed in with highways, but I'd rather my single use buildings in these type of areas.

Reasonable position and many cities have convention centers on the periphery of city.  Even Javits in NY and San Diego (to name two) are on the water and not right in the middle of the city (though SD is close to the action for sure).  Still feels too far removed and the aforementioned freeways are an issue.  I think a reasonable (if not ideal) place would be where BOA is now (once the Panthers move across the street).  Perfect place to host the Fan Fest when the Super Bowl is across Morehead...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBS said:

Reasonable position and many cities have convention centers on the periphery of city.  Even Javits in NY and San Diego (to name two) are on the water and not right in the middle of the city (though SD is close to the action for sure).  Still feels too far removed and the aforementioned freeways are an issue.  I think a reasonable (if not ideal) place would be where BOA is now (once the Panthers move across the street).  Perfect place to host the Fan Fest when the Super Bowl is across Morehead...

Thats not a bad idea either. 

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Interesting read. Perhaps the money for these major expansions and improvements would be better used elsewhere. Adding another node on the lot beside the HOF with a large additional ballroom(s) and other spaces could be worth it.

But building an entirely new CC doesn't seem like a sound investment especially considering how great the current location is (albeit on extremely valuable land). Adding a ton of more intimate meeting space in the CC hotel could help draw smaller regional conventions. Having a dozen 100 person conventions is just as good as having one 1000 person convention.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yup, Bingo. Theres just really no way. without some sort of advancement in modern engineering. or by digging an additional floor down. Again, not worth the investment, we are stuck at 280k worth of exhibition space

I disagree, you can get another ~70k sqft by mirroring Hall C exactly on the line dividing Hall A & B. Then shaving the north side to allow trucks to park along the "ramp" -- this is where you would lose 10k of exhibition space to allow for more space for trailers underground.

This keeps most trucks backing to a dock and additional spots along the ramp to allow for more trucks to be hidden underground.

But mostly, it allow the CC to keep existing lobbies for Hall A & B which would be expensive to gut and redo.

Still don't think it will happen... but I find this option feasible.