1000 Room Convention Center Hotel

32 minutes ago, DMann said:

Looks like that is under the Blue Line

Blue Line goes above the existing (untouched in my rendering) docks. The new space falls under the existing Duke Energy building.

But Blue Line is part of the reason that I do not think this will happen. I would love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Scribe
BL comment

• 3 weeks later...

Subscriber story from the Business Journal today about the 1000 room hotel.  Quick summary:  it is slow process right now that has even slowed more.  

Some quotes from the story:

""City and tourism leaders said the convention hotel must be delayed, in part, because of heavy imminent demands on existing revenue generated from taxes on hotel rooms, restaurant meals and rental cars. Think of the next round of renovations at the Carolina Panthers’ NFL stadium and the city-owned NBA arena, $30 million or so for upgrades at the Discovery Place Science Museum, anticipated taxpayer-funded improvements at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center and the just-approved $110 million expansion of the convention center itself.     Murray’s argument for a newer and bigger convention hotel stems, in part, from the fact that, at 700 rooms, the Westin remains the largest local hotel. In uptown and countywide, the number of rooms and hotels has multiplied during the past decade, reaching 26,499 rooms this year. That’s up from 22,563 in 2008. According to figures compiled by STR and the visitors authority, another 41 hotels totaling nearly 6,000 rooms are in the pipeline between now and 2022 across Mecklenburg County. (The total includes one hotel in Cabarrus County, accounting for 97 rooms.)  The likeliest target is a 2.3-acre site at 401 South College St., next to the convention center. Duke Energy Corp. (NYSE: DUK) owns the land, where it has 122,000 square feet of offices. Company spokesman Bill Norton said there are no discussions in progress about a possible property sale. Norton added that 500 employees work there in various functions.""

couple of other locations cited as possibilities are NC RR land by the transit center, city owned land across from Nascar Plaza and 550 Stonewall tower,  Duke's proposed tower site next to Harvey B Gantt,  First Baptist church block lot.   

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/29/why-charlotte-is-putting-plans-for-big-convention.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-11-29&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1543541253&j=85267991

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Maybe stop placing a temporary bandaid on the stadium for what’s inevitable and a convention hotel would get built faster. 

Easier said than done. A new owner has taken over since the "band aid", and a new stadium both requires years of planning and construction. Atlanta's stadium legitimately was a 10 year process after even being floated around by Arthur Blank.

• Thanks 1

This is how Georgia and Atlanta are building a new 1001 room Hilton convention hotel next to the GA World Congress Center.  This type of $400 million in bond financing could not happen in NC by the way.  

from the ATL Business Chronicle and it is a  subscriber article (you know I have subscribe LOL)

""The hotel project will be entirely state-funded. It will be financed through state-issued bonds. State lawmakers have already approved GWCCA to issue bonds for the project for up to $400 million.""

Approx 30 stories on the site of the old GA  Dome

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/12/04/congress-center-hotel-to-feature-new-premiere.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-12-04&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1543964955&j=85353641

• Like 3

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is how Georgia and Atlanta are building a new 1001 room Hilton convention hotel next to the GA World Congress Center.  This type of $400 million in bond financing could not happen in NC by the way.  

from the ATL Business Chronicle and it is a  subscriber article (you know I have subscribe LOL)

""The hotel project will be entirely state-funded. It will be financed through state-issued bonds. State lawmakers have already approved GWCCA to issue bonds for the project for up to $400 million.""

Approx 30 stories on the site of the old GA  Dome

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/12/04/congress-center-hotel-to-feature-new-premiere.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-12-04&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1543964955&j=85353641

The state is becoming much more Atlanta focused as the population from rural to Urban becomes more stark. GWCC is a very well run organization and has a good thing going now with recent expansions to the convention center, new Mercedes Benz Stadium and a campus with the Omni attached, CNN Center, State Farm Arena and a 9B "gulch" project next door. It is like anything else in the southeast if not the country. Lots of cheap land next to downtown have made this possible, along with massive state funding over 30 years.

If we wanted this campus, it would need to be north of downtown near the current train station, or Charlotte Pipe. We would probably need to partner with the Panthers and other major stakeholders too. I would love a master plan for something like this, but realistically its probably unnecessary and unattainable.

• Like 4

^^^ Georgia has always owned the World Congress Center and owns the Mercedes Dome too plus they took over the Savannah convention center.  It is just not something that is going to happen in NC too many cities in the state with convention centers and our population is much more spread out than Georgia's which like you said is Atlanta centric. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

If we wanted this campus, it would need to be north of downtown near the current train station, or Charlotte Pipe. We would probably need to partner with the Panthers and other major stakeholders too. I would love a master plan for something like this, but realistically its probably unnecessary and unattainable.

It moved.  

I do not know where I stand on the need for a new convention hotel, but I am concerned about the fact

that we may delay this, if needed, in order to do things for the NFL stadium at the same time there is talk

about moving operations out of Mecklenburg county (practice facility, operations, etc...) to Yotk/SC.

For all the money Meck has spent on the stadium and infrastructure all these years it seems to be a slap

in the face to move things out of the county and then expect more money for the stadium.   I respect the concept 

of both Carolinas and ticket/PSL aside,  Meck, CLT and maybe NC have invested a lot and moving the operations out 

the county does not bode well when it comes to wanting more tax payer money for the stadium or perhaps a dome,

37 minutes ago, midtownclt said:

I do not know where I stand on the need for a new convention hotel, but I am concerned about the fact

that we may delay this, if needed, in order to do things for the NFL stadium at the same time there is talk

about moving operations out of Mecklenburg county (practice facility, operations, etc...) to Yotk/SC.

For all the money Meck has spent on the stadium and infrastructure all these years it seems to be a slap

in the face to move things out of the county and then expect more money for the stadium.   I respect the concept 

of both Carolinas and ticket/PSL aside,  Meck, CLT and maybe NC have invested a lot and moving the operations out 

the county does not bode well when it comes to wanting more tax payer money for the stadium or perhaps a dome,

The new stadium would be in downtown Charlotte. The facility is no different than Cowboys being in Plano, Falcons being in Flowery Branch, or the Patriots in Foxboro. The fact that its a separate county in the state 7 miles south (which is in the team name), where the training camp has always been, doesn't bother me at all.  

• Like 2

Where?

Carolina pipe and foundry does far more manufacturing in union county currently than in uptown. their current real estate holdings, which could hold a new stadium and then some, is probably worth $10M per acre. Their highest bidder purchase of the beazer land on pennies on the dollar was shrewd as hell. Any questions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are you 2 issues with that land on the other side of morehead though. You either surround the stadium with morehead, 277 and 77 making access difficult or you put it on the other side of 277 where you have rail splitting the property right down the middle. 

I do think a new stadium would remain in uptown but for that to happen, the most likely scenario is the Panthers playing 2-3 seasons somewhere like Columbia while the current site is demolished and rebuilt. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, a2theb said:

There are you 2 issues with that land on the other side of morehead though. You either surround the stadium with morehead, 277 and 77 making access difficult or you put it on the other side of 277 where you have rail splitting the property right down the middle. 

I do think a new stadium would remain in uptown but for that to happen, the most likely scenario is the Panthers playing 2-3 seasons somewhere like Columbia while the current site is demolished and rebuilt. 

Capture.JPG

Immediately where the Foundry itself is you build an incredible fan experience, in the land hugged by 277 and 77 you build the stadium. With proper infrastructural and aesthetic improvements this area of town doesn't have to be isolated. Its not much further walking wise especially if Southend grows toward the train tracks, which is inevitable. For drivers, there's an on ramp to 77 right there on W. Morehead and Clarkson, which would need an upgrade, turns into Freedom, which goes to 85. 

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Immediately where the Foundry itself is you build an incredible fan experience, in the land hugged by 277 and 77 you build the stadium. With proper infrastructural and aesthetic improvements this area of town doesn't have to be isolated. Its not much further walking wise especially if Southend grows toward the train tracks, which is inevitable. For drivers, there's an on ramp to 77 right there on W. Morehead and Clarkson, which would need an upgrade, turns into Freedom, which goes to 85. 

Not to mention the ability to easily walk from South End.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 9:23 AM, a2theb said:

When the Broncos' transitioned from Mile High Stadium into their new stadium right next door, they just continued to play in Mile High until the other was complete. Once it was done, they demolished the old stadium. There was no need whatsoever to play at an off-site host. Playing in Columbia (or wherever) would only be necessary if our stadium was like Qualcomm or Alameda Coliseum and literally falling apart, which it's not. Compare that to, say, the Vikings, who absolutely had to play at a university for a couple years since the Metrodome's dome collapsed.

But I'm totally in favor of either of those locations. The bonus of being at the inside of 277 location would be that we would no longer have to look at that stupid barn looking piece of crap that was built on that site relatively recently. What a non-urban-looking eyesore that thing is. That little 3rd Ward pocket West of the stadium has a ways to go, in my opinion.

The bonus of being at the inside of 277 location would be that we would no longer have to look at that stupid barn looking piece of crap that was built on that site relatively recently. What a non-urban-looking eyesore that thing is.

I agree. I can't believe they would build something that ugly in that location but they did. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Back to the topic of a Convention hotel:

Since convention hotels tend to come with a significant amount of space devoted to convention type operations such as meeting/assembly spaces, exhibit halls, and ballrooms, I was wondering if it was possible for the city to construct these spaces on the land currently occupied by the data center along with a support structure capable of supporting a 1000 room hotel above the notional new exhibit halls.  Perhaps this could serve as a sort of backdoor subsidy for a convention hotel wherein the city expands the size of the convention center by an additional block, but the expansion just so happens to be constructed in such a way that it can serve as the base/ancillary spaces needed to build a 1000 room convention hotel.  Then the city could sell the air rights to a hotel developer with the agreement that all the meeting and exhibit halls constructed in the base of the hotel were to be shared use spaces between the convention center and the hotel itself.  

I could see this being a viable strategy because it would expand the usable space for the convention center by a significant amount, and it would allow the city to indirectly subsidize a large hotel without causing too much consternation in the local hotel association and advocacy group.  If a 1000 room hotel never comes along then the city still has an expanded convention center which is part of what the tourism tax exists for anyways.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/7/2018 at 9:23 AM, a2theb said:

Capture.JPG

Superblocks are bad for urban vibrancy, but a stadium is inherently a superblock.  So if the new stadium is to be located in the urban core, then please do place it against freeways, where the grid is already broken. 

Plus, the existing stadium site is located closer to revitalized Stonewall and South Tryon, where the grid can be reestablished with prime redevelopment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was chatting with @Jayvee about Suntrust, and I started looking into what hotels were right near their HQ building in Atlanta, and I was stunned to see that their three largest hotels are all in a row. two of these hotels were built when Atlanta had a smaller metropolitan area than Charlotte. This isn't even including Westin Peachtree, which has 1063 rooms.  So between 4 hotels there are 5235 rooms, which rivals all of Uptown.

Atlanta-Hotels.jpg

Georgia owning the convention center in town really makes a big difference in the way they financed it and now they have even taken over the Savannah Convention Center.   

We have so much hotel construction now that will be a while before we can start a big hotel especially since there are stadium needs etc  that would be from the same pool of money.  

• Like 2