1000 Room Convention Center Hotel

16 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Georgia owning the convention center in town really makes a big difference in the way they financed it and now they have even taken over the Savannah Convention Center.   

We have so much hotel construction now that will be a while before we can start a big hotel especially since there are stadium needs etc  that would be from the same pool of money.  

We are about 3,000 rooms short of where we should be downtown, from my research.

Question: considering that the hotel situation in downtown is slim (if not dire) enough to warrant that some companies are telling their workforce to stay home during the All-Star weekend,  how likely is is that a company in good standings financially (like most ANY bank headquartered locally) would be willing to help subsidize a new hotel with a huge room count, if only to take the pressure off their own employees in these such times? I'm not well-versed in how the risk assessment v. elective spending works with corporations in this kind of occasional squeeze.

7 hours ago, Eightane said:

Question: considering that the hotel situation in downtown is slim (if not dire) enough to warrant that some companies are telling their workforce to stay home during the All-Star weekend,  how likely is is that a company in good standings financially (like most ANY bank headquartered locally) would be willing to help subsidize a new hotel with a huge room count, if only to take the pressure off their own employees in these such times? I'm not well-versed in how the risk assessment v. elective spending works with corporations in this kind of occasional squeeze.

They are telling people to stay home due to traffic and congestion, not due to employees taking hotel rooms from visitors. Another hotel wouldn't solve the congestion problem and traffic concerns for all the daily commuters into Uptown so they would still ask employees to work from home.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

They are telling people to stay home due to traffic and congestion, not due to employees taking hotel rooms from visitors. Another hotel wouldn't solve the congestion problem and traffic concerns for all the daily commuters into Uptown so they would still ask employees to work from home.

Those streets can handle MUCH more traffic. As an Atlanta resident, I always laugh when "traffic" is brought up in Charlotte.

3 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Those streets can handle MUCH more traffic. As an Atlanta resident, I always laugh when "traffic" is brought up in Charlotte.

Traffic is still a very real issue in Charlotte. Obviously not to the extent of Atlanta, but that’s clearly do to the obvious population differences. 

12 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I agree. Absent 77 or 485 rush hour, we don’t have traffic. One time I was working in Atlanta. Hopped on the perimeter around 4pm. Took me an hour just to get out of the city limits.

9 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Traffic is still a very real issue in Charlotte. Obviously not to the extent of Atlanta, but that’s clearly do to the obvious population differences. 

If you look how quickly downtown can disperse after a Panthers game (very quickly compared to most places), I think you'll see the infrastructure is very good for heavy traffic.

Just now, Dale said:

I agree. Absent 77 or 485 rush hour, we don’t have traffic. One time I was working in Atlanta. Hopped on the perimeter around 4pm. Took me an hour just to get out of the city limits.

LOL well the perimeter is a circle, so I'd imagine that you'd never get too far outside the city limits...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

It is not due to population differences.

It is mostly due to crappy planning and the spread out nature of the Atlanta metro area.

only <500k people live in Atlanta city limits out of 5.9million metro population.

5 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

If you look how quickly downtown can disperse after a Panthers game (very quickly compared to most places), I think you'll see the infrastructure is very good for heavy traffic.

A Panthers game lasts for one day, not an entire week. A Panthers game also doesn’t attract 133,000 people to the city at one time such as the upcoming event. So yeah, not really comparable. 

3 minutes ago, Scribe said:

It is not due to population differences.

It is mostly due to crappy planning and the spread out nature of the Atlanta metro area.

only <500k people live in Atlanta city limits out of 5.9million metro population.

That isn’t taking into consideration the tourists and employees who are in the city limits at once along with those 500k people or the combined interstate highway that runs parallel. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

19 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

LOL well the perimeter is a circle, so I'd imagine that you'd never get too far outside the city limits...

Wise guy.

If any of you worked at a bank, you'd understand it really isn't a big deal for most employees to work from home for one single Friday. Most Uptown workers aren't going to the NBA events and they don't NEED to be driving their cars into Uptown to put in their 6 hour workday on a Friday. In addition, people trying to race home on a Friday aren't exactly "hospitable", so getting cars off the road makes it easier for visitors to walk around Uptown on a Friday without a Lexus SUV barreling down Stonewall at 45 mph to get through the College Street light so they can get home to Ballantyne faster. 

Nobody is forcing them to work from home either. If employees need to be Uptown, they can come to the office. The message is "We all know many of you come sit at your cube and just talk to people on the phone all day until 2 - 3PM on a Friday and then leave.....  so how about you just do that from home this one weekend."

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The message is "We all know many of you come sit at your cube and just talk to people on the phone all day until 2 - 3PM on a Friday and then leave.....  so how about you just do that from home this one weekend."

Do corporate bank employees get to determine what they do with their time? That would explain why I meet so many banking people who are just out and about at willy nilly hours of the morning/afternoon. How luxurious.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Do corporate bank employees get to determine what they do with their time? That would explain why I meet so many banking people who are just out and about at willy nilly hours of the morning/afternoon. How luxurious.

Feels less luxurious when you are in the office at 11 pm on a Sunday night for a deal.  But the flip side, is that if it's quiet, then yeah, I bolt when I feel like it.  Ups and downs. 

11 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Yes. That’s exactly how it works. I worked for BofA and now a GSE. You can willy nilly go or do what you need. 

Usually lots of teams have a day once a week where you telework anyway just because 

29 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Yes. That’s exactly how it works. I worked for BofA and now a GSE. You can willy nilly go or do what you need. 

Usually lots of teams have a day once a week where you telework anyway just because 

My wife worked for BofA, for 21 years, then was summarily laid off. During her tenure, she was granted the option to tele-commute. Then, after a managerial change, she was ordered back to the office.

42 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

This may be a stupid question, so pardon the ignorance.   Looking at the Legacy Union plan for an 800 room hotel on their site, what effect, if any, does that have on a future 1000 room hotel partially funded with city money?

I think there is demand for both, so hopefully nothing. 

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Will the 800 room hotel on the LU site start construction in 2019?

Its something casually mentioned in a Marketing deck. If you want Johno's phone number so you can try to ask him a question I'll happily send it to you.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its something casually mentioned in a Marketing deck. If you want Johno's phone number so you can try to ask him a question I'll happily send it to you.

OK.  So this clearly is not happening any time soon.  I'd rather wait for this site to develop further and hope that LH builds a five-star hotel (e.g., Mandarin) with very high-end rentals and condos above it in a building designed by Robert A.M. Stern.  I just read an article that Vornado will make over $1 Billion in profit from the sales of 220 Central Park South.  If a lot of those buyers can get the same thing in Charlotte for $5m per apartment, rather than $60m per apartment at 220 CPS, I think that it would be a huge success for LH.

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

OK.  So this clearly is not happening any time soon.  I'd rather wait for this site to develop further and hope that LH builds a five-star hotel (e.g., Mandarin) with very high-end rentals and condos above it in a building designed by Robert A.M. Stern.  I just read an article that Vornado will make over $1 Billion in profit from the sales of 220 Central Park South.  If a lot of those buyers can get the same thing in Charlotte for $5m per apartment, rather than $60m per apartment at 220 CPS, I think that it would be a huge success for LH.

I never said clearly it isn't happening any time soon. I'm just saying Lincoln Harris is not transparent.