1000 Room Convention Center Hotel

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

Charlotte isn’t bland. An aquarium wouldn’t fix that if we were bland. I think Charlotte needs an It street for the locals, we don’t really have a street dedicated to shopping, dining and nightlife like many other cities have. 

Which street should that be?

4 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Charlotte isn’t bland. An aquarium wouldn’t fix that if we were bland. I think Charlotte needs an It street for the locals, we don’t really have a street dedicated to shopping, dining and nightlife like many other cities have. 

We have North Davidson, South Boulevard, East Avenue, Central, Tryon and Stonewall, etc.  I don't personally want a street of honky tonks like Nashville's lower Broadway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBS said:

We have North Davidson, South Boulevard, East Avenue, Central, Tryon and Stonewall, etc.  I don't personally want a street of honky tonks like Nashville's lower Broadway.  

The idea from Brevard would have been perfect for the location of this. It still could be. 

• Like 1

I make references to Denver quite a bit since I’m mildly familiar with it, but Denver’s 16th Street Mall would be a great reference tool for Charlotte to take cues from. It’s a pedestrian-only (with the exception of a free bus that goes up and down) street that is exclusively retail. No crappy concrete either. It’s worth looking into. 

I agree, Brevard is probably the best candidate for this. It’s a barren enough street for us to revitalize it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hunted said:

I make references to Denver quite a bit since I’m mildly familiar with it, but Denver’s 16th Street Mall would be a great reference tool for Charlotte to take cues from. It’s a pedestrian-only (with the exception of a free bus that goes up and down) street that is exclusively retail. No crappy concrete either. It’s worth looking into. 

I agree, Brevard is probably the best candidate for this. It’s a barren enough street for us to revitalize it.

16th street mall in denver only really appeals to tourists and visitors.  it's blocks and blocks of chain restaurants.  the walkability is nice, but the livability part is less than great.    the epicenter isn't that unlike what denver has.  

i applaud the idea to open a pedestrian friendly retail corridor, but i also hope we can do better than having rows and rows of chilis, rock bottom breweries (oops, already one in place), chipoltes, and the like.   

there's are loads of interesting areas in denver, but the 16th street mall is only something i'd use as a model in the very big picture.    it is interesting in that it resulted from a destructive urban renewal plan, so maybe there is something clt can get from it. 

as locals though, i'd look at this surrounding districts that are popping up with breweries, shops, and other things like that.  that's where you'll want to be.  

i say this understanding this is about bringing tourists into the city.   i'd just wish we could do better than just having a collection of the worst restaurants on earth. be better than the rest charlotte.  

Edited by BullDurhamer
  • Like 3

Actually we spent a  fair amount of time there since it was close. There are a lot of non chain places if you look. But I agree with your general sentiment and would instead look at lower Larimer / Blake area when they're closed to traffic. very nice. But there are a many areas that are nice and we could learn from. Many aren't on the LRT either. Bike lanes makes a big difference there. 

On 5/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, Cadi40 said:

ummmm yeah it is. Denying it is why we can't fix it. Not sure what an aquarium does for bland. Bland = chains / tourist spots to me and it's not like I would go to an aquarium very much. Still that and a zoo are a major city check mark.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The uptown location by itself had a half million visitors last year, without a "blockbuster" exhibit like dead sea scrolls

Those half a million visitors were more than likely made up of elementary and middle school field trips. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

My heavens! A museum for families and children... I thought everything was supposed to cater to just one segment of the population between 20 and 35 and have craft beer.

Almost everything I read about what's wanted and what's coming sounds like it's geared to that demographic. I took my 4 year old nephew uptown twice and now he always wants to go. ALWAYS. In a few years he and his obnoxious teenage friends will want things to do up there.

My parents are both in multiple, large social organizations that get together frequently. Those old people have a lot of time and money on the hands. They like to do things as well.

And I know that when I'm even more old & decrepit than I am now that I'd love to wait for death on my daily stroll through a fancy aquarium. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I say it all the time. Better we have things residents can enjoy than visitors. Rays Splash Planet, Frazier Dog Park, Whole Foods, etc. Things visitors wouldn't care about but it's such a great asset to the locals.  Obviously we have things and continue to make things visitors will enjoy, Epicenter, Legacy Union's retail portion stadiums, etc. But we can't dismiss our local things. Maybe you grew up in Charlotte too, but a field trip to the discovery place was one of my most fondest memories from when I was younger. 

I feel like my posts are being taken in the wrong context. There is nothing wrong with the Discovery Place. The tread topic in which I was replying to is about the lack of tourist attractions in Uptown that would assist in filling the rooms of a 1,000 room hotel when there are no major conventions. There is no need for residents of Charlotte to stay in this hotel, therefore the destinations to locals are irrelevant (the Discovery Place). 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

I still say replicate an old german town square complete with a huge carousel.  Why not, plenty of space for beer gardens and the like and there is an obvious link to Germany itself.

Mecklenburg Park/Square

14 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I feel like my posts are being taken in the wrong context. There is nothing wrong with the Discovery Place. The tread topic in which I was replying to is about the lack of tourist attractions in Uptown that would assist in filling the rooms of a 1,000 room hotel when there are no major conventions. There is no need for residents of Charlotte to stay in this hotel, therefore the destinations to locals are irrelevant (the Discovery Place). 

3 things in no particular order....2 for locals (regional) and 1 national tourist attraction:

1 (local): Sizeable aquarium...needs to happen, could be part of Discovery Place expansion or stand alone

2(local): Urban zoo of some sorts, play copycat from other cities, see big bro ATL for (1) and (2)...neither has to be as big, just part of city amenities.  The NC Zoo should've been located on the outskirts of Greensboro....nothing against Asheboro, but it's a bit out of the way.

3(national): Sizeable downtown aviation museum (expansion and relo of Carolinas Aviation Museum to play on NC Flight history and history of Piedmont Airlines)...this  should be big, one of a kind regional/national draw versus the smaller Carolinas Aviation Museum...attendance could possibly exceed 500k and bolster NHOF attendance with combo tickets.  I went to the one in Seattle, nice.  I'm still surprised that none of the larger metros in NC has a large Aviation Museum. I think this is Charlotte's best shot at creating a destination tourist attraction that would appeal to the masses.   

I don't think it's one thing, but smaller draws plus something (big) to complement the NHOF which is more of a niche thing without mass appeal.

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Durhamite said:

3 things in no particular order....2 for locals (regional) and 1 national tourist attraction:

1 (local): Sizeable aquarium...needs to happen, could be part of Discovery Place expansion or stand alone

2(local): Urban zoo of some sorts, play copycat from other cities, see big bro ATL for (1) and (2)...neither has to be as big, just part of city amenities.  The NC Zoo should've been located on the outskirts of Greensboro....nothing against Asheboro, but it's a bit out of the way.

3(national): Sizeable downtown aviation museum (expansion and relo of Carolinas Aviation Museum to play on NC Flight history and history of Piedmont Airlines)...this  should be big, one of a kind regional/national draw versus the smaller Carolinas Aviation Museum...attendance could possibly exceed 500k and bolster NHOF attendance with combo tickets.  I went to the one in Seattle, nice.  I'm still surprised that none of the larger metros in NC has a large Aviation Museum. I think this is Charlotte's best shot at creating a destination tourist attraction that would appeal to the masses.   

I don't think it's one thing, but smaller draws plus something (big) to complement the NHOF which is more of a niche thing without mass appeal.

Love the aviation museum idea. There has to be a UPer with some access to city council or someone eho does that can pass along these ideas.  Hell email the new Panthers owner to donate some funds for it.  The city ahs the land I am just waiting for someone the vision and cojones to pull it off.  And you are correct about the NC zoo.  I am sure it looked like a good idea at the time but Charlotte does need a city zoo.  Hell, Tulsa and OKC both have zoos and they are 2 hours apart.