Faison Development, 7th & Caswell

Bat'leth

Email sent out to neighborhood last night:

Dear Neighbors:  You are invited to an important meeting being hosted by the Elizabeth Community Association next week.  Please see below for details.

When?  Thursday, May 24 from 6:30-8:00 PM

Where?  St. John’s Baptist (corner of 5th and Hawthorne) in BROACH HALL  [located in the rear of the church]

Who?  All residents and business owners in Elizabeth are welcome and encouraged to attend.  We would like participation and representation from every street in Elizabeth!

What?  Faison, the developer of the property at 7th and Caswell, will be presenting possible changes to their project.

Why?  The purpose of this meeting is to hear a presentation by Faison in which they will present a project update, timeline and potential changes to their project design for this important location in the heart of Elizabeth.  This is your chance to ask questions, assess their proposed changes and make your recommendations known.
What else?  Yes, this project has already gone through the re-zoning approval process.  However, prohibitive construction costs have this developer back to the drawing board with a modified design.  ECA and Faison both seek your input on these proposed changes.

Just now, Bat'leth said:

Email sent out to neighborhood last night:

Dear Neighbors:  You are invited to an important meeting being hosted by the Elizabeth Community Association next week.  Please see below for details.

When?  Thursday, May 24 from 6:30-8:00 PM

Where?  St. John’s Baptist (corner of 5th and Hawthorne) in BROACH HALL  [located in the rear of the church]

Who?  All residents and business owners in Elizabeth are welcome and encouraged to attend.  We would like participation and representation from every street in Elizabeth!

What?  Faison, the developer of the property at 7th and Caswell, will be presenting possible changes to their project.

Why?  The purpose of this meeting is to hear a presentation by Faison in which they will present a project update, timeline and potential changes to their project design for this important location in the heart of Elizabeth.  This is your chance to ask questions, assess their proposed changes and make your recommendations known.
What else?  Yes, this project has already gone through the re-zoning approval process.  However, prohibitive construction costs have this developer back to the drawing board with a modified design.  ECA and Faison both seek your input on these proposed changes.

Read as, thanks for down sizing our development so much, that its no longer possible to deliver something high quality, please accept this really low quality version instead.

Unfortunately the man handling Faison's development is the guy who has produced some of the biggest stinkers in Charlotte History. Chris Branch. 

Here he is with one of his stinkers in the background.

image.png.537faff3b385d2ef3cc0fb86a08db683.png

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

Didn't they build 101 Independence ? That's not exactly a looker either.

You cant judge people on their 1980s accomplishments. If you judged me based on mine, it'd be learning to walk, talk, and use the big boy potty. Henry Faison, the founder passed away in the past few years, and Faison has really suffered quality-wise, ever since, in my opinion. Can find their latest work at District Flats, and Gateway East Apartments

Edited by Guest

My understanding is that Chris Branch and his assistant Jason were pushed out of the project and it is being handled by someone else at Faison. I also understand that they've gotten rid of the original Architect and handed it off to a firm named Klein Design to take a scapel to it.

4 minutes ago, Bat'leth said:

My understanding is that Chris Branch and his assistant Jason were pushed out of the project and it is being handled by someone else at Faison. I also understand that they've gotten rid of the original Architect and handed it off to a firm named Klein Design to take a scapel to it.

Maybe you mean Cline Design? Hopefully so, because they are pretty good. Though admittedly their portfolio runs the gamut from suburban schlock to great urban work.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Bat'leth said:

Along these lines I understand that this project is being run through some kind of Faison foundation so many of the changes have to get (internal) board approval. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Unfortunately the man handling Faison's development is the guy who has produced some of the biggest stinkers in Charlotte History. Chris Branch. 

Here he is with one of his stinkers in the background.

image.png.537faff3b385d2ef3cc0fb86a08db683.png

I'd be too ashamed to pose in front of that atrocity.   This is such a disappointment since both the original and revised designs were awesome.  In this instance, I hope the neighborhood holds firm and doesn't allow a lesser project to be built (if the economics don't work, the developer is responsible).  Of course, I'd gladly take the first design if that works out better (since I preferred it to the second).  

5 minutes ago, JBS said:

I'd be too ashamed to pose in front of that atrocity.   This is such a disappointment since both the original and revised designs were awesome.  In this instance, I hope the neighborhood holds firm and doesn't allow a lesser project to be built (if the economics don't work, the developer is responsible).  Of course, I'd gladly take the first design if that works out better (since I preferred it to the second).  

The neighborhood is the reason is got revised and made smaller, messing up the economics.

The neighborhood agreed to the developer's original request for about 120 apartments on the site. This was approved as part of the rezoning, and Faison told the neighborhood that they were ready to move forward & build it.

Faison has now reduced the apartments count to around 60. This was not requested by the neighborhood - they chose to do it.

Your comment about promised goods is spot-on. It's no secret that construction costs have been rising - should have been factored in to their budget.

Judging from some conversations I've had with neighbors when out for a walk, and emails I've received from other neighbors, I'm predicting a very ugly meeting. People are getting upset that the site was wiped clean and left to sit, now Faison is pleading poverty.

• Like 3

Elizabeth Community Association at it again....update to the email referenced by @Bat'leth earlier on this page:

Dear Neighbors:

We have been contacted by Faison, the developer of the property at 7th and Caswell, that they are still working on pricing proposed changes to their building(s).  ECA is in agreement with Faison that they should not present to the neighborhood until they have had time to confirm the construction costs and be sure that what they are presenting is what they can build.

Therefore, we will cancel the Thursday, May 24th, meeting and reschedule for the near-future, when Faison is ready to present new elevations with pricing they can commit to.  We will send out an announcement when we have confirmed a new date.

• 10 months later...