Cable cars in GR?

localtalent

36 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

The city is actually seriously considering this as a mass transit option.  It seems kind of hokey to me.  To me it only makes sense going up/downhill, like medical mile or Belknap to NoMo.

There's no way it's being considered as a mass transit option.  Nor does it really sound like it's coming from the city.  It sounds like a certain family that has a vested interest in the cities tourism health is considering it as a possible augmentation to tourist/convention center/visitor/Art Prize guest experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

There are a handful of cities in South America that would vehemently disagree with you. Yes, they are more densely populated to an extreme degree and their cities are built in the middle of mountains. I would suspect that whatever is being proposed for GR is probably a vanity project and tourist attraction. But none of us have seen the plans yet, so I think it is silly to write it off completely until we actually know what the people behind the idea are planning. 

Yes, let's see the plans and THEN write it off as silly. :lol:

Just because an idea is bold, risky and unconventional doesn't make it a "good" idea, even if it is executed. Look at castle apartments. Bold = check. Risky = double check. Unconventional = fits the definition exactly. :rofl:  

If it's being thought of as a transit option, it better move faster than those cable cars at Cedar Point. And if it's being used as a tourist attraction, hopefully everyone involved knows that the river doesn't look all that pretty for 6 - 7 months out of the year. In fact it looks like it could kill you in an icy death. ;)

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

There's no way it's being considered as a mass transit option.  Nor does it really sound like it's coming from the city.  It sounds like a certain family that has a vested interest in the cities tourism health is considering it as a possible augmentation to tourist/convention center/visitor/Art Prize guest experience. 

So it might connect downtown to the new Ada?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, localtalent said:

The big idea risk taker from an iconic local family that is behind them both.

Just because someone tweets about something doesn't mean they have active interest in launching it. After all, Rick tweeted about changing the Michigan flag and that didn't seem to go very far. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2018 at 11:17 AM, MJLO said:

There's no way it's being considered as a mass transit option. 

Correct, this is not happening.  

I attended every ALIGN commission meeting.  I attend all the MobileGR commission meetings.  Never once ever a mention of cable cars.

• 1 year later...