AdventHealth

spenser1058

Harriet Lake, Orlando's grande dame, gives $5 million more to the Orlando Ballet to get the ball rolling on the conversion of the old Orlando Youth Center to the ballet's new headquarters.

Also in the works are improvements to make Loch Haven a little more pedestrian-friendly (which it desperately needs.)

http://bit.ly/2J4C117

From the Sentinel

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

what's gonna happen to the old Orlando Ballet Building at Orange & Magnolia?

I think OUC and the city are still trying to figure that out (did OUC ever transfer ownership to Orlando? I can't remember.) There are lots of awesome possibilities - I hope they go big.

Smileguy and Boomer might know more about this (I'm afraid ballet isn't my thing) but it seems like OBC has had a bear of a time just getting stable. Hopefully, a permanent building might help in settling things down.

OTOH, Orlando has been infamous for having an Edifice Complex when it comes to the arts. We build lots of buildings but fall short on the endowments that build true stability. Here's hoping.

Honestly, any criticism of the Orlando Ballet right now rings hollow and uninformed to me. They almost closed down a couple years ago. It’s been an almost miraculous turn around and there’s been wholesale changes in leadership. For the first time in forever, the future of the ballet seems secure. 

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:13 AM, spenser1058 said:

Harriet Lake, Orlando's grande dame, gives $5 million more to the Orlando Ballet to get the ball rolling on the conversion of the old Orlando Youth Center to the ballet's new headquarters.

Also in the works are improvements to make Loch Haven a little more pedestrian-friendly (which it desperately needs.)

http://bit.ly/2J4C117

From the Sentinel

Interesting tidbits: "Ballet representatives said they hope to have the new facility open by late next year...The new building will replace the Loch Haven Neighborhood Center..."

1.jpg.b43cbebfa9548742604e3c21bb2c5c6b.jpg

2.jpg.0da58c34513a0d6e37b9a8b6389907e0.jpg

3.jpg.bf6902e3e3e031b5f6e0b8edb8fbcec3.jpg

4.jpg.0b767da675b3ec96ed6999c4305b32c0.jpg

5.jpg.cf5a11f60e0b13b1f4c0d2a341a91d77.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/27/2018 at 7:45 PM, leondecollao said:

Honestly, any criticism of the Orlando Ballet right now rings hollow and uninformed to me. They almost closed down a couple years ago. It’s been an almost miraculous turn around and there’s been wholesale changes in leadership. For the first time in forever, the future of the ballet seems secure. 

They've done a lot of great things, are much stronger than they have been in years (perhaps since they rose out of the ashes of Southern Ballet). They hired Michael Kaiser of the Kennedy Center, who has a track record of turning around struggling organizations (locally, he also recently completed the strategic plan for Orlando Philharmonic.) The ballet is investing heavily in aggressive marketing and building out community programs, and have a ticket pricing strategy that maximizes revenue (not selling the cheapest seats, while adding more performances with premium options.  Artistically, quality has been uneven, but I think having their financial house in order will help. The recent performance of Jessica Lang’s From Foreign Lands and People, and the collaboration with Sisuandra Lewis and with the Bach Festival have all been successful. My husband and I, in our small way, have stepped up to the $1.5 Million challenge match from the Leddens, and are excited for the future of the company. After working for years and years in makeshift spaces, this purpose-built facility will be a great improvement. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In addition to the Pulse Memorial and Museum, the TDT's ARC recommended a grant of $4M for Orlando Ballet for Harriett's Orlando Ballet Center.   My understanding is that before she died, Harriett got the word of several other local philanthropists to ensure that this project would have the funding to be successful. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 3:19 PM, Urban Mail Carrier said:

What is planned in its place?

Broadstone Lake House 9-story Mixed-use/Multi Family building: https://bungalower.com/2017/04/18/mpb-approves-nine-story-residential-tower-lake-ivanhoe/

I believe there was talk of saving the sign and putting it back up later. 

1-61.jpg

1-60.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is probably the most appropriate thread for news around Orange and Princeton. In response to cwetteland’s post in another thread, I believe you’re correct about it belonging to AdventHealth (they own the southeast corner where the Theatre “Downtown” was for years).

We’ve known for some time the hospital planned to develop the area - it seems it’s finally happening. Thanks for the update!

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

This is probably the most appropriate thread for news around Orange and Princeton. In response to cwetteland’s post in another thread, I believe you’re correct about it belonging to AdventHealth (they own the southeast corner where the Theatre “Downtown” was for years).

We’ve known for some time the hospital planned to develop the area - it seems it’s finally happening. Thanks for the update!

For those who missed my original post,  it pointed out that the  NE block of Princeton and Orange is now fenced (including the Orlando Ballet space), and  demolition is underway.

• Like 1

AdventHealth plans major expansion of Orlando emergency department

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/political-pulse/os-cfb-emergency-department-orlando-20190312-story.html

AdventHealth has filed preliminary plans with City of Orlando to expand its Emergency Department by 45,000 square feet. The addition at the base of the Ginsburg tower is shown here in gold and would overlook Lake Estelle. (Hunton Brady Architects)

gs-adventhealth.jpg

• Like 2