AdventHealth

spenser1058

The Orlando Fringe Festival at Loch Haven Park, America’s oldest, completes its 2019 run with its highest attendance ever:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-fringe-2019-success-20190530-hxtqmop5ijhijezi3vlx2jclte-story.html

From the Sentinel 

One gets the impression the arts can actually thrive at Loch Haven - who knew?

• Like 1

The Orlando Fringe Festival at Loch Haven Park, America’s oldest, completes its 2019 run with its highest attendance ever:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-fringe-2019-success-20190530-hxtqmop5ijhijezi3vlx2jclte-story.html
From the Sentinel 
One gets the impression the arts can actually thrive at Loch Haven - who knew?

Credit cards being accepted at the beer tent was a game changer. I know I drank more than I usually do because it was so much easier to do so!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest in a long list of tries to replace Brian’s at Orange Ave. and Virginia (after all, it takes a lot to replace those sweet rolls and the booth where Dan Quayle ate!)

Nevertheless, Scott J thinks we might have a keeper in Sette, from the folks who brought you Seven Bites:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/61-italian/4785-sette

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The latest in a long list of tries to replace Brian’s at Orange Ave. and Virginia (after all, it takes a lot to replace those sweet rolls and the booth where Dan Quayle ate!)

Nevertheless, Scott J thinks we might have a keeper in Sette, from the folks who brought you Seven Bites:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/61-italian/4785-sette

I tried Sette a few weeks ago and the food was excellent. I’m just worried about their staying power based on the price point but we will see. If I recall correctly, for two drinks and two entrees it came out to a little under $100 after tip. It was great, but I’m not sure it was $100 great. 

They said they were going to do a happy hour but I haven’t seen any announcements on it yet, that may be the sweet spot for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

The cost to quality ratio was very off for us.  The service was mediocre at best, too.  The food was very tasty.

Why is this under AdventHealth????????????????????????????????????????

It used to be Ivanhoe Village/Loch Haven /FL Hospital. I asked to change it to Advent Health but didn’t ask to keep the other parts. My bad for not being specific.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

AdventHealth Orlando is named Florida’s #1 hospital according to US News:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-ne-health-us-news-hospital-ranking-20190731-xcm3mzhscrdw5fqtv5o54sbqu4-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

Shands (UF) was 2nd; Mayo Clinic (Jax) was 3rd; ORMC was 11th.

While I have lots of doubts about US News rankings, many take them as gospel.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

AdventHealth Orlando is named Florida’s #1 hospital according to US News:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/os-ne-health-us-news-hospital-ranking-20190731-xcm3mzhscrdw5fqtv5o54sbqu4-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

Shands (UF) was 2nd; Mayo Clinic (Jax) was 3rd; ORMC was 11th.

While I have lots of doubts about US News rankings, many take them as gospel.

Florida hospital has always had an amazing PR department. ORMC could have been doing a certain medical procedure for years, but when Florida hospital would finally start doing it, Orlando Sentinel would suddenly have this huge article on how Florida Hospital is starting to do this cutting edge procedure that will benefit this community for years to come. ...... completely ignoring the fact that this is old news for ORMC. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Knowing virtually nothing about the industry is there really room for this many salons? It seems like every few months a new one pops up from a group that didn't like their last home and then the cycle repeats. I mean Thornton Park alone has like 10 salons.

I definitely agree. We keep being told Orlando is the home of low wages but these  salons with $75 haircuts seem to keep proliferating (I prefer my $10 barber with lots of sports and political chat, but I’m admittedly old-fashioned).

In this case, since it was a salon before, I was just happy the space would be active though I had hoped for something more interesting.

48 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

(I prefer my $10 barber with lots of sports and political chat, but I’m admittedly old-fashioned).

I've been trying to find one of those places that has four guys with mustaches sing while they cut your hair and give you a shave for a nickel.

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

I've been trying to find one of those places that has four guys with mustaches sing while they cut your hair and give you a shave for a nickel.

The Dapper Dans May show up at the Harmony Barber Shop on Main Street in MK but it’ll cost you a lot more than a nickel! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, smileguy said:

Brooks + Scarpa and KMF Architects have designed a new expansion to the Mennello Museum of American Art in Orlando, Florida. The 40,000 square-foot project will integrate with the existing museum building to increase the number and quality of programs, opportunities, and amenities for the institution's growing audiences. The team aims to create a welcoming and inclusive space for exhibitions as a new cultural destination on Lake Formosa.

That is beautiful. Please sir, can I have another...

2 minutes ago, Bob Dobalina said:

Will this project obtain fund raising? What are the odds we ever see this being built?

Both the City and private donors seem to have real affection for the Mennello. Assuming we don’t fall into a recession soon, I’d say chances are good.

Glad to have you with us, btw - welcome!

On a strictly personal note, once again OMA seems to have been eclipsed by a small museum that folks seem to form more of a personal attachment with. I’ve always wondered why that is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Both the City and private donors seem to have real affection for the Mennello. Assuming we don’t fall into a recession soon, I’d say chances are good.

Glad to have you with us, btw - welcome!

On a strictly personal note, once again OMA seems to have been eclipsed by a small museum that folks seem to form more of a personal attachment with. I’ve always wondered why that is. 

Mr. Mennello has more to give and no heirs.  This project will undoubtedly pursue the TDT funding that has been going to other cultural institutions and I understand they are assembling a number of exhibitions including their collection alone and in collaboration with other institutions to send out for some additional earned revenue.  There will also be a substantial private ask, and likely a request from the City for park improvements, additional parking, etc.

I think OMA has gone down a couple of misguided paths with Tavistock trying to position themselves for a complete move, when they could have a project in motion in Loch Haven Park. The directors of Mennello and OMA are married, so maybe there is a bigger plan we don't know about.

• Like 1