With so many creative people participating in this forum,  this can be a brainstorming thread on ideas that could further develop Nashville and our brand. 

• Perhaps you have thoughts on a particular piece of property and what would be best suited for that site.  Feel free to add sketches, diagrams, comparative photos, etc. for what might be good at that locale. 
  • Are there particular neighborhoods that could be stimulated with some fresh concepts?
  • What elements of Nashville's history could be better spotlighted, honored, and cherished?
  • What sorts of tourist attractions can be added to our menu?  Where should your concept be located? We already have a thread for amusement parks, so any of those ideas should go there. 
  • Any annual events that we should consider to add to our diverse schedule? There is a thread already for a huge Music City Music Festival already, but any other ideas beyond that? For instance, hosting "X Games." 
  • What about sports/teams for Nashville beyond the Titans, Predators, Sounds, and Nashville SC? 
  • Any ideas for new performance venues, or resurrecting old ones?
  • We already have a Nashville Parks thread, as well as a couple of Transportation threads, so any ideas pertaining to those subjects should go there. 

Our city/region is growing in so many ways, and we need to keep envisioning new developments to keep things relevant, vibrant, and creative for those of us living here, as well as attractive to visitors.  If you want to get into detail on how to finance your idea, that would be fine...but let's not get too bogged down on the fiscal side initially. Let the ideas flow.  : )

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get things started with one I have shared before, and it's actually a three-parter.

Part One: A creative trade between the Metro Government and State of Tennessee. Metro would trade the site of the Adventure Science Center and Ft. Negley (not including the Greer Stadium land and surroundings---just the fort site) to State Parks, and they would turn the Center into a North-South Civil War Museum that would cover the war from both sides.  Nashville is unique in that it was initially part of the Confederacy, but was one of the first cities captured by the Union, and was under northern control for most of the war.  So much history that could be spotlighted from that perspective, along with details about the Battle of Nashville, and a the massive fort/brigade that the Union built (ironically with much labor from slaves) to defend the city.  The Adventure Science facility has plenty of space that could be adapted into a state-of-the-art museum, and with the fort literally right outside the back door, it could make for great walking tours.  Civil War history is a solid tourist trade, and this could become a must-see stop for any aficionados, as well as an educational family outing for locals and out-of-towners.

Part Two: The State would, in turn, trade a several acre parcel that is on the eastern side of Bicentennial Mall along 6th Ave. North that currently is home to a sprawling one-story warehouse that holds some state info (some of which I think will be transferred into the under-construction State Library and Archives immediately to the north).  A new Adventure Science Center would then be built on this site, with at least double the square footage of the current one, an underground garage for employees/visitors.  The State could help with some of the construction costs, or at least waive any taxes on the structure long-term as part of the trade. By having the Adventure Center at this locale, it would help make Bicentennial Mall a destination for school groups and families for fun and learning with the new Tennessee State Museum in the other side of the mall, all of the history sprinkled in various monuments/displays in the park itself, along with the Library/Archives, and Farmers Market.  it could become a miniature version of the National Mall in DC with all of it's museums, Smithsonian, etc. on either side.

Part Three: The State could also create Museum of Natural History that would go immediately to the south of the new Adventure Science Center, with Harrison St. on the south border. This could become yet another tourist attraction, as well as being another educational stop for school field trips, local families, etc.  We have a rich topographical and anthropological history that extends way back beyond the 1700s that could be fully explored in a museum like this. Once again, there could be one level of parking underneath.

Here is the Adventure Science Center site on the north side of Ft. Negley. This image and the one below it are at the same scale, so you can see the size of the properities alongside each other.

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 6.48.17 PM.png

Here is the Bicentennial Mall site on the east side of 6th Ave. North (and immediately to the west of First Tennessee Ballpark.  Half of the elongated block would be dedicated to the new Adventure Science Center (the northern half), and the southern half would be for a new State Museum of Natural History.  

Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 6.47.34 PM.png

I like parts one and three.

As far as part two is concerned, I would move Adventure Science Center to what I would call Upper Broad-a massive new theater and museum district on what is now the Beaman site and the other dealership across the street. On the Beaman side I would put a new Frist Museum nearest the interstate. at the top near the split I would put Adventure Science Center and in the middle a brand new TPAC. (Dinah Shore Theater maybe?)

On the other side near the split I would put a state of the art interactive museum called the Museum of Music (we are Music City after all, time to get serious),  on the bottom nearest the interstate I would put a state of the art museum that would be an interactive automobile museum that would be much more than simply a vintage car display, and in the middle I would put an IMAX/3D theater complex.

So where to put the car dealers? Tear down 100 Oaks Mall and make it into 100 Oaks Autoplex. Put the Vanderbilt clinic directly behind it and the shops and stores could relocate to Thompson Lane or Nolensville Road.

And what about the empty Frist Museum/Post Office? Turn THAT into a bus transit center eventually connecting to a revitalized Union Station when Metro gets the notion that it might be more cost effective (as opposed to the recently rejected transit plan) to bribe CSX into allowing commuter rail that would service an expanded Nashville Yards which would include skyscrapers built over tracks that would let commuters unload from trains right underneath where they work!

I'm not finished....where the Endeavour development is currently happening I would build a retail district on all 4 corners of Broadway and 12th ave. called Nashville's Fashion Row.

It would front Broadway and include boutiques of local designers as well as better known national and international brands. That would be much more attractive to tourists and locals alike than say, Whole Foods.  which would better serve the South Gulch population (as well as the Rutledge Hill population via the Division Street Connector) if it were located on Division between 12th and 8th avenues now that Publix will serve the North Gulch from the Capitol View development.

Anyway, I was the guy last year who was looking for someone to put all this in an architectural rendering. If anyone thinks they can help, please let me know.

Mark...I was just going to mention a huge Civil War park there...but didn't think about moving Adventure Science.  That's actually brilliant.  We surely could use a civil war park...and that is 100% the obvious place for it.  I would have a large interpretive center / museum where Greer sits...or place it where the Adventure Science Center is and use the Greer area as both a memorial site and maybe "reenactment" site?

Great ideas Mark.  

There are a great many ideas I've had over the years, but here are four random ones... in no particular order.  

1.  Make a concerted effort to redevelop the Jefferson St. corridor and the surrounding neighborhoods near Fisk University, putting an emphasis on highlighting the African American history that took place there.

2.  Rebrand the couple mile stretch of Nolensville Road in which all of the latin american and middle eastern businesses are as a sort of international district, and really make an effort to invest in it and take pride in it and make it a focal point of sorts.

3.  Create a high quality pedestrian plaza atop the alley way next to Tequila Cowboy that connects the Schermerhorn with Broadway not just visually and functionally, but also as a way to make an obvious connection between two of the faces of the Nashville music scene

4.  This is far lower on any list of priorities, but several years ago I heard about so-called 'musical roads' being tested out in the Arizonan desert that essentially played a recognizable tune when you drove over grooves in the road.  It's a bit silly, admittedly, and I don't know where you'd put it that wouldn't create a traffic mess of tourists driving there just for that and going well under the speed limit, but I still think it'd be an interesting for tourists to be able to go to Music City and drive on a musical road.  It's okay, you can tell me it's a stupid idea.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I would rather see the Adventure Science Museum stay and expanded with a natural history museum to complement the site, and a civil war museum as well. 

At one time Adventure Science Center was looking to move closer to Downtown presumably to capture more tourist traffic but was unable to find a location with sufficient parking-my scenario would put parking either underneath it or behind it in a multistory parking garage.

This thread reminds me of a my days as a member of the Urban Design Forum at the Civic Design Center when at one meeting we were given a project to come up with our own plan for Downtown Nashville if money were no object.

Great job Mark for starting this!

Don't forget my idea to turn the backside of the 2nd Ave buildings (on 1st Ave along the river) into a Paris-style sidewalk cafe district (overlooking the river).  You would have to shut down 1st Ave in the area (probably)...but it would definitely help us NOT turn our back on the river like we have it now.

This....

27673348547_1c456f2fee_c.jpg

Dock it downtown, make it a boutique hotel, war and navy museum, food court and landing place for Presidential helicopters.

It would squeeze though the locks with 2' to spare and the 23' draft probably keeps it floatable on it's journey to Nashville.

^ ^ ^ That would be way cool, but I suspect would just not be feasible with depth, river bend, and bridge height issues getting something of that length, girth, and tonnage down the Cumberland. Would be quite the feat if it could happen though!    I love touring old ships.   : )

On 6/2/2018 at 6:43 PM, markhollin said:

• Any annual events that we should consider to add to our diverse schedule? There is a thread already for a huge Music City Music Festival already, but any other ideas beyond that? For instance, hosting "X Games." 

I know it's not most peoples cup of tea, hell I lost interest many years ago, but....

Seeing Nashville host a WWE Wrestlemania would be incredible
at this point they do a week long event at multiple venues in the city they choose and the smaller indie promotions all shows up to have shows in the same city during that time.

22 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

I'd like Nashville to host a rock & roll oriented music festival in the Spring or Fall. Something like Forecastle in Louisville, Pitchfork in Chicago or Primavera in Barcelona Spain.

used to have Ozzfest each year when Starwood was still open.
Warped tour has come here each year for a while now, though this is the last year for it.

What's the story on the brick building on Church and 16th? If it was properly rehabbed it could be something special. 

Honestly with the influx of hotels, I'd really love to see us get a domed stadium and with that I think we could become a regular cycle stop for the Super Bowl and other major events like Wrestlemania previously mentioned. 

I guess this is less of an idea and more aspirational.

On 6/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, PHofKS said:

This....

Dock it downtown, make it a boutique hotel, war and navy museum, food court and landing place for Presidential helicopters.

It would squeeze though the locks with 2' to spare and the 23' draft probably keeps it floatable on it's journey to Nashville.

I’ve always been a huge history buff and when I was a kid I used to drag my parents and siblings to go tour the USS Alabama in Mobile every time we’d be in south Alabama visiting family. I’d be ecstatic if we ever got something similar here. Forget the boutique hotel, just show the ship as it sailed :wub:

Here's an idea I forgot to include earlier......move the Maxwell House hotel back to its original spot on the corner of 4th and Church and build a 30-40 story  art deco  building to house it.

Maxwell House is an internationally recognized brand and would become (once again) Nashville's signature hotel.

3 hours ago, DDIG said:

What's the story on the brick building on Church and 16th? If it was properly rehabbed it could be something special. 

Honestly with the influx of hotels, I'd really love to see us get a domed stadium and with that I think we could become a regular cycle stop for the Super Bowl and other major events like Wrestlemania previously mentioned. 

I guess this is less of an idea and more aspirational.

I think the building you are talking about is owned by the Reed or Read family. That was part of their auto dealership holdings as is all the blocks to Broadway including the site of the Suburu dealership now.

I am not sure why they are holding onto the property which is several acres. I am sure with the state of things in Nashville, they have been approached by developers.

4 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Here's an idea I forgot to include earlier......move the Maxwell House hotel back to its original spot on the corner of 4th and Church and build a 30-40 story  art deco  building to house it.

Maxwell House is an internationally recognized brand and would become (once again) Nashville's signature hotel.

This building would need to be demolished in order to put Maxwell House back on its old corner. Seems unlikely, but an interesting concept to consider, I suppose.

CA6BD706-785C-4EC2-A304-EB9C3CC1CE98.jpeg

On 6/3/2018 at 3:31 PM, PHofKS said:

This....

or the USS Tennessee.   it is an Ohio class ballistic Missile Submarine.  these are rapidly reaching the end of their service life, within the next 10-15 years.   

10 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

or the USS Tennessee.   it is an Ohio class ballistic Missile Submarine.  these are rapidly reaching the end of their service life, within the next 10-15 years.   

I'd love to have a SSBN docked here, but its probably infeasible.  As I understand it, you need to tear the boat apart to remove the nuclear reactor.  Can anyone confirm?

Archived