• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't they normally hold them in enormous venues (bigger than what we have here)? There was a post in the soccer thread recently that showed the number of hotel rooms projected in 2026 and Orlando was projected to have QUITE a few more than what we have are. I figure that would factor into it, as well.

2 minutes ago, e-dub said:

Don't they normally hold them in enormous venues (bigger than what we have here)? There was a post in the soccer thread recently that showed the number of hotel rooms projected in 2026 and Orlando was projected to have QUITE a few more than what we have are. I figure that would factor into it, as well.

they held it at the Citrus Bowl and had just over 74k
I assume they could get close to that at Nissan Stadium with seating on the field

37 minutes ago, e-dub said:

Orlando is kind of an abberation with hotel rooms, because of their massive theme parks. They have close to the amount New York has while having a fraction of the population. Nissan stadium could support this event. 

A big boy on the NE corner of 4th Ave. South and Symphony Place.   Currently, that surface lot is divided into 5 parcels/ different owners (I believe), so there would be a lot of work in consolidating a purchase.  But it could become an iconic address and visual focal point for whatever corporate HQ would choose to go there.

- A 35-40 story structure would fit nicely on this footprint, which is almost exactly the same dimensions as Pinnacle Tower.

- Several levels of parking could go in underneath, plus an 8-10 level garage above ground that would be seamlessly disguised inside the outer skin (a la Bridgestone Tower).

- There would be some street level activation (perhaps a restaurant facing the Symphony Hall).  The main lobby entrance would be facing 4th Ave. South.

- A dedicated elevator would run all the way to the top for an observation deck that would provide 360 degree views of downtown. Being so close to the tourist district, this would become a very popular and profitable destination ride. 

Some contend that it is too close to Broadway for such a large structure, but it is the same distance that AT&T Tower is to the north.  Others have suggested it become a park, but we already have Music City Walk of Fame Park directly across the street to the SW, and Riverfront Park just 2 blocks to the east.

I do believe the  "alleyway" that runs between 3rd and 4th Avenues from Broadway to Symphony Place should be retained, but cars/parking removed and trees/landscaping installed to create a beautiful walkway connecting the Honky Tonk District with the Symphony Hall.

From a purely visual aspect,  this tall boy would help bridge to gap between CDB and SoBro caused by Lower Broadway, so views from the east from across the river and looking down Broadway from the west wouldn't look quite as divided.  Also, the perspective from across Walk of Fame Park's west side towards the Schermerhorn would be balanced with the Symphony Hall in the middle, Pinnacle Tower behind it, Bridgestone Tower to the right, and this new 35-40 story (or more) structure to the left.  Would make for another definitive Nashville shot from that angle.

Here's a rough rendering of a 40-42 story version (primarily for blocking purposes).  I could certainly see a distinctive crown on this one.

4th Ave North and Symphony Place, Mark Render, June 9, 2018.jpg

The site is in the center of this screen shot (notated as SP+ Parking) from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map:

4th Ave North and Sympny Place map.png

There was a huge debate when there was a Hyatt Place proposed where the Trail West building and where the current Moxy is now going. Metro barely approved 19 stories for that location, and it never happened. 

Metros current height restrictions limit anything that close to Broadway because of the so called historic nature of Broadway. The proposed hotel that will be behind Acme will be 18 stories and there was position to that as well.

Notice even with the Fifth and Broad project, the set backs go halfway into the block. I don't get it either, but based on the past actions of the dipsticks running the show, we will never get a lot of height downtown unless the codes are changed

Also 60 , 50 , 40 stories are limited to a few places. Metro at least approved the 40 story SAP project, but there was a lot of opposition to that one as well.  Currently under Metros Height limitations, the only place you can go unlimited is the CBD west of 3rd, I think is the street. We all know what happened when Tony G wanted to go a 1000', but the FFA shot that one down.

This may not be the thread for this but with all the foot traffic we see on LB, not to mention upcoming 5th and Broadway, someone should look at having better waste disposal.  How often have we had to dodge stinking trash pouring out of alley's, various smelly liquids pooling on the sidewalks and street. I've often wonder how tourists see that - can't be any better than when we see it.

The bollards they've recently installed look great, especially when compared to the steel railing. I'm guessing they're going to be installed down both sides of the street eventually?

Will there be a time when LB will be pedestrian only from 1st up to 5th?

^ ^ ^ Apparently they have trash pick-up three times a day on peak days, but that isn't even enough.  So much of it is bottles and the cardboard boxes they come in---we're talking hundreds of thousands per day.  There are some establishments that don't have alleys, and that's where the problems lie.  Perhaps they'll have to create a series of tunnels for trash pick up.  

4 hours ago, Alley said:

...someone should look at having better waste disposal.  How often have we had to dodge stinking trash pouring out of alley's, various smelly liquids pooling on the sidewalks and street. I've often wonder how tourists see that - can't be any better than when we see it

Agreed. My dad visited downtown for the first time in years and I RANDOMLY ran into him on 2nd Ave. His first comment after "Hey!" was "Man it stinks down here!" You can't walk down any street without encountering a puddle of stale beer or garbage ooze. Even the brand new 21C Hotel sits their four leaking trashcans right on the sidewalk. It's just gross.

9 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Agreed. My dad visited downtown for the first time in years and I RANDOMLY ran into him on 2nd Ave. His first comment after "Hey!" was "Man it stinks down here!" You can't walk down any street without encountering a puddle of stale beer or garbage ooze. Even the brand new 21C Hotel sits their four leaking trashcans right on the sidewalk. It's just gross.

It stinks just like the French Quarter does, but that does not stop the party that is Lower Broad. I do know a lot of the bottle are being recycled now and a lot of the stink comes from sour beer pouring out of those bottles. Better regulation of waste disposal for these bars and restaurants needs to be put in place. As much money as they rake in, they need people cleaning the alleyways behind them almost all the time.

The full block at the NW corner of 1st Ave. North and Church Street has been sitting empty for quite some time after the 1900s era, 4 story brick beauty burned down least 15 years ago.  It has been a Premier surface lot for 124 cars since.

I envision a new 4 story Victorian facade replacement that would be an homage to the also-burned original Maxwell House Hotel 4 blocks to the west.  A high-end hotelier would once again be the primary tenant, as this area of town (especially a few blocks to the west) is becoming known for it’s boutique brands in refurbished buildings.

Most of it’s street activation would be along 2nd and 1st Avenues due to the approximate 12 foot grade sloping downward from west to east along Church St. and Bank St. But there may be a way to stair-step some entrances/openings along those sides as well.

The 2nd Ave. front would not only feature the entrance to a spectacular lobby, but could also have a restaurant/club, and perhaps a small museum (along the lines of Johnny Cash Museum for someone like Willie Nelson or Dolly Parton).   

The 1st Avenue side could have several restaurants/clubs featuring outdoor seating in front to serve as a catalyst for all of First Ave. tenants from Broadway north to Union becoming part of a Riverfront Cafe District.

All of this will serve to draw more of the entertainment district further north. This needs to be done strategically to help take some of the pressure off so Broadway foot traffic is more dispersed. 

I also see a smaller 5th floor atop the structure with wide open seating areas surrounding it for at least one high class restaurant featuring live jazz music.  Some of the space might also be utilized for events like wedding receptions, etc. The southern and eastern sides there would feature spectacular views of the riverfront.

Underneath would be at least a 4 level garage for no less than 480 cars.  This would not only serve hotel guests, but also the eateries, and other businesses in the neighborhood.

The commercial Victorian style with red/brown brick and arched window treatments will fit perfectly with other architecture in that historic district.

The massing of the structure as it sits on the block. Looking NW from above the Cumberland River, with 1st Ave. North in the foreground, and Church St. on hte left moving upward to the west:

First and Church render, June 16, 2018.jpg

This is what the Maxwell House looked like in it’s prime.

Nashvilles-Maxwell-House-Hotel-1925.jpg

Similar window and facade treatments like these along 2nd Ave. North could be echoed.

160 2nd Ave. North interior, Lofts at 160 1 x.jpg

That building was gone before I came to Vandy. I took an architecture class with Folgarait and that vacant lot was a subject of one of his lectures/assignments. He always loved the TPAC/Andrew Jackson building. If memory serves, it was mid-1980s when it burned under extremely suspicious circumstances. 

Archived