My idea is regarding lower broadway and a small idea I have wanted to happen for a long time.

I feel that part of lower Broadway from a certain section down to the river (let’s say from 4th or 3rd avenue south and broadway intersections down to the river) should be pedestrian only and limited to cars (bikes and stuff would probably be ok). I feel like this idea definitely has pros and cons but in the end would generate more tourism to Nashville and be worth it. The cons would be that it could attract more drunkards to party in downtown or be an inconvenience for people wishing to get picked up from a bar by an Uber, but at the same time both from 4th or 3rd Avenue and from 1st Avenue there would be designated stops for taxis, Uber’s and other cars to pick persons up with the right street design. I feel that having part of a tourist zone be pedestrian friendly helped more tourists come to Times Square in New York, and could help more tourists come visit lower Broadway and feel more safer and secure when it comes to vehicular traffic and having less of a hassle avoiding cars when crossing streets. 

Aside from making part of  lower Broadway pedestrian only I feel that in this area they should make a median area with seating and information/bike racks/pedal tavern drop offs (yes I know that’s cringeworthy but this is nashville after all lol), and also theme the area to a music theme obviously, specifically Johnny cash. This sounds stupid but I feel metro could draw a line from 4th/3rd Avenue to 1st Avenue and encourage tourists to walk the line and take pictures while doing so as a tourist attraction, and at the end there could be a sign saying “Music City” or a music note or something else, as a sign that people could take pictures with to show the world they really were in Nashville. I know this may sound really tacky, but the other day I was in 12th Avenue south and saw a extremely long line of tourists waiting to take pics with the I believe in Nashville sign, and I feel that could be duplicated on lower Broadway and in many other areas of Nashville as a whole. Anyways let me know what you think.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35-40 story hotel for SE Corner of KVB and Hermitage Ave. This should be one of the premier sites in Nashville, occupying what will eventually become one of the most photographed angles of the city at one of it’s busiest intersections.  Hence, it deserves something quite special.

The structure should not only be top notch in design, it should also have a crowning feature that helps set our skyline apart.  I propose the world’s largest LED sphere—perhaps up to 125 feet in diameter. It may end up containing upwards of a million lights.  There is also technology for curved LED screening that may continue evolving that could work as well.  It would be necessary for the light and images to be bright and visible from long distances.  So many effects could be achieved with a globe like this, and it could have various themes for different days/seasons.

The deck immediately below it could be an outdoor observation destination so people could see the sphere up close, as well as get pics of the city all around.  It would become one of the ultimate photo ops for anyone visiting Nashville. 

Here are links to a couple of videos showing current technology that could be applied—-but this would be even bigger/better than these.

New York Times Ball Drop for New Year’s Eve.  My idea would be appear  seamless from a distance, as opposed to this which has distinct triangular patterns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OMQCSvVgmc

Here is one of the LED projection globes. I think things have come even further in the past 4 years since this was built:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDntySX6ETw

SW corner of KVB and Hermitage Ave idea.jpg

Nashville Talent Showcase Room:

This would be a larger night club, perhaps in a warehouse space with some decent main floor footage, that would feature a rotating stage.  This would allow for folks to partake in all the amazing up-and-coming musical talent this city has to offer. 

There would be three sections so that while one act is performing, there would be another striking their stage, and a third setting up/sound checking.  But only one would be visible to the crowd at any given time.  This way, you could have 20 minute sets of fresh talent, and as soon as they are done, the stage would rotate 120 degrees, and the next act would be ready to go instantaneously. So, in a couple hours time, an attendee could hear 6 different artists play 4-5 songs apiece.

It would be cool to have an established act be a surprise guest each night—-no one in the crowd would know who it was until the stage rotated. Would be a fun place for them to try out some new material on a neutral crowd. It could become a place to be seen and heard.  THE hot spot for what’s fresh for the future of music.  Perhaps there would be a celebrity tied to it who could help host sometimes, for instance, “Garth Brooks’ Talent Showcase." 

Of course, there would be food/drink served at tables in a room with a capacity of at least 250 guests.  Sort of a larger, more modern version of the Bluebird Cafe.  For it to have maximum chance to win, it would need to be in downtown, SoBro, The Gulch, or maybe Midtown.  

• 4 weeks later...

The members of this forum could create a 30-minute presentation demonstrating silly height restrictions and other ways to make Nashville more walkable and livable.  We could reference SMegalopolis' excellent development map (many thanks, @smeagolsfree) and other resources we use.  Lots of footnotes.

We could invite a council member or two, as well as other civic leaders, to each meet-up, go through the presentation, and leave time for Q&A (CM asks the questions, we give the answers).  We could even take this on the road to community meetings and such.

Thanks guys. Speaking of the map, I have greatly added to the information and adding locations of previous years. Much tweaking going on now and getting it almost where I want the map to be. 

Please , if you see information missing and you know what it is, let me know. I now use the following to gather the information if you want to know.

Construction company websites.

Architectural company websites.

Emporis.com

The local media, mainly the TN, NBJ, and the Post.

Metro Parcel viewer.

Metro Development tracker.

My memory which can hold very little more as these projects sort of run together.

Archived