Publix in midtown Greensboro

cityboi

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cityboi said:

According to city agenda document Publix is headed for midtown Greensboro and will include a parking deck.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/home/showdocument?id=37923

we have 2 like this in Charlotte. One has 2 levels of parking with the store on top (new Cotswold location) the other location on South Blvd has 2 levels of parking underground with the store on top.   That is the only way they could get their stores to fit into tight urban infill areas with adequate parking.  

9 hours ago, RichardC said:

And, of course, Winston-Salem has already had the first Publix in the Triad, with its parking deck, for about two years.  Publix is already in the area as well in Clemmons and Statesville.

And High Point. So this isn't even Publix's first venture into the Greensboro-High Point MSA. With the distribution center apparently looking likely, I would venture to guess that that means that we're going to be seeing a lot more of them sprouting in the area.

42 minutes ago, cityboi said:

It's not the first but the location is unique at least in the Triad. It will be located in midtown which is on the edge of downtown. It's as close as you can get to an "urban" supermarket in the Triad.

I wasn't downplaying this development. I was responding to Richard who basically ignored the High Point location while pointing out the locations near W-S. This development is a good one for midtown (and by extension, downtown). With the likely distribution center, I would expect Publix to continue expanding in the region. There are 4 right now in the area and then this one (the 5th) in the works. I expect there to be another 3-5 Publix locations announced in the Triad region over the coming 3-5 years.

3 hours ago, HRVT said:

I wasn't downplaying this development. I was responding to Richard who basically ignored the High Point location while pointing out the locations near W-S. This development is a good one for midtown (and by extension, downtown). With the likely distribution center, I would expect Publix to continue expanding in the region. There are 4 right now in the area and then this one (the 5th) in the works. I expect there to be another 3-5 Publix locations announced in the Triad region over the coming 3-5 years.

My response was towards Richard's too.lol  you ok 

More on plans for Publix in midtown looks like the parking deck and store will be stacked.

This would be the second Publix in the Greensboro area. The other being at Grandover Village. It was also be the third in Guilford County. High Point has a traditional Publix store.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2018/06/10/could-kotis-westover-site-land-greensboros-first.html

https://greensboro101.com/plans-for-publix-grocery-store-parking-deck-on-kotis-westover-avenue-property/

publix_kotis.jpg

13 hours ago, cityboi said:

More on plans for Publix in midtown looks like the parking deck and store will be stacked.

This would be the second Publix in the Greensboro area. The other being at Grandover Village. It was also be the third in Guilford County. High Point has a traditional Publix store.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2018/06/10/could-kotis-westover-site-land-greensboros-first.html

https://greensboro101.com/plans-for-publix-grocery-store-parking-deck-on-kotis-westover-avenue-property/

publix_kotis.jpg

Based on what I'm seeing here, this looks a bit like what I proposed on CityData. Looking at GoogleMaps, it appears the part of the building they have labeled as "Osteria" will be gone as long as the section for Chicken Salad Chick. Given the high vacancy rates there, that's probably the best way to do it.

You are going to need some Publixes especially when the huge new distribution center comes to town.  Those possible 1000 employees will want to shop at their employer I am sure.  Right now all the Publix stores in NC and southern VA are served from NE Atlanta which is way too far in the grocery business.  And with the most interstate highways of any city in the state, Greensboro is the perfect site for that new distribution center.  

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

You are going to need some Publixes especially when the huge new distribution center comes to town.  Those possible 1000 employees will want to shop at their employer I am sure.  Right now all the Publix stores in NC and southern VA are served from NE Atlanta which is way too far in the grocery business.  And with the most interstate highways of any city in the state, Greensboro is the perfect site for that new distribution center.  

Agreed. The highways work well logistically for Publix while also moving their supply chain further north so that everything doesn't have to come from 6-10 hours away (depending on where you're talking about shipping). Publix has been looking at moving into the Hampton Roads and Richmond markets. 3-4 hours is doable (with easy highway driving). 10 is not.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, KJHburg said:

where is this Kotis midtown project what corner?   It looks great hope it gets started. Publix has to open more stores in the Triad especially Greensboro with their 1000 employee distribution center.  

It's on the corner of Battleground and the parking lot road, next to the Wendover offramp where RED Cinemas currently is, which will be included in the project by the looks of it

On 1/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, KJHburg said:

where is this Kotis midtown project what corner?   It looks great hope it gets started. Publix has to open more stores in the Triad especially Greensboro with their 1000 employee distribution center.  

Yep. What trickbot said. The great thing as that the future Greenway that leads out of downtown to the northwest part of the city borders the property. The last renderings I posted shows phase 1 and 2 which is the retail and hotel. The apartments are phase 3. Also looks like the hotel was moved on the opposite side of the project. It a mammoth development. The length of it is impressive.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, DanRNC said:

Oh god, even Greensboro has a "midtown" now? 

Yup we sure do :)

Archived