Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pompeyjohnson

Deceptive skylines

16 posts in this topic

The thread is self explanitory.

I have three off the top of my head

Richmond, VA population a little under 200,000 looking like it shoulds have a pop. of 350,000 to 400,000 people

Columbia, SC pop. 126,000 skyline looks like the city should a least have 200,000 people.

Winston-Salem, NC pop. 190,000(?) their skyline is off the hook for a city of its size! it looks like it should have a pop.250,000 to 300,000.

Give me some feed back!

agreed. Alot of that has to do with the fact that these are government and financial cities. Cities like that require more office space.

Can't think of another one right now, but I agree with your list, PompeyJohnson... I know that there are more out there, but it goes the other way around; there are big cities that deserve to have more impressive, denser skylines. Richmond's skyline is absolutely impressive for its size.

I'd say a good many beach and mountain cities probably have disproportionately large skylines, because many of them as a result of their fortunate locations were settled by "big money" back during an era when cities were built more "urban" than most today, tourism spawns hotels and condos, plus the natural boundaries encourage upward growth.

out of all the cities mentioned so far, IMO Charleston, WV is the only city that has a deceptive skyline. The skylines of Winston-Salem and Richmond are just about right for their size when you consider that the city's metro area population relates more to the size of the skyline, then its city population does. Other examples of cities with "deceptive skylines include Fort Lauderdale, Hartford, Miami, and Providence. But their metros all have a population over 1 million. A couple of cities with truely deceptive skylines would Roanoke, Va and Asheville, NC.

I think Asheville has a deceptive downtown, not skyline. The downtown is fairly large and there's a great deal of stuff to see and do. However, the skyline is pretty small and fits the metro area well.

Yellow knife is incredibly beautiful. I have heard of it but never knew it was such a metropolis.

Cambridge, MA has a very big skyline for a city of only 101,000. It is in a much bigger metro and has a very high pop density too.

I have to agree. It does have nice skyline. The aerial photo makes the buildings look at least 15-20 floors high.

Yellowknife seems to have a nice skyline for its size. Also, I see a lot of room for growth in the downtown area. Nice pics!!!

I can't imagine why Yellowknife has such a distinct CBD for its size - other then maybe the harsh winters they get, plus the fact that its very isolated. When cities are that isolated, they tend to be more dense.

New Haven also has a bigger skyline than I would expect. Arlington is another example, but it is just because it is next door to DC.

Obsessed isn't the right word. More like I respect and love their nation for what they have accomplished in terms of basic rights that any 1st world nation should have.

I wish to live there someday.