Deceptive skylines

The thread is self explanitory.

I have three off the top of my head

Richmond, VA population a little under 200,000 looking like it shoulds have a pop. of 350,000 to 400,000 people

Columbia, SC pop. 126,000 skyline looks like the city should a least have 200,000 people.

Winston-Salem, NC pop. 190,000(?) their skyline is off the hook for a city of its size! it looks like it should have a pop.250,000 to 300,000.

Give me some feed back!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't think of another one right now, but I agree with your list, PompeyJohnson... I know that there are more out there, but it goes the other way around; there are big cities that deserve to have more impressive, denser skylines. Richmond's skyline is absolutely impressive for its size.

I'd say a good many beach and mountain cities probably have disproportionately large skylines, because many of them as a result of their fortunate locations were settled by "big money" back during an era when cities were built more "urban" than most today, tourism spawns hotels and condos, plus the natural boundaries encourage upward growth.

out of all the cities mentioned so far, IMO Charleston, WV is the only city that has a deceptive skyline. The skylines of Winston-Salem and Richmond are just about right for their size when you consider that the city's metro area population relates more to the size of the skyline, then its city population does. Other examples of cities with "deceptive skylines include Fort Lauderdale, Hartford, Miami, and Providence. But their metros all have a population over 1 million. A couple of cities with truely deceptive skylines would Roanoke, Va and Asheville, NC.

Archived