Greenville skyline

motonenterprises

Will Greenville's skyline ever be seen from I-85? I feel that is one thing we are missing here. Lots of people travel I-85 but never see a skyline. The big street lights in the middle of the interstate and signs are the only things that give you an idea that you are in an important city for the state. The new tower is probably more likely to be seen from the interstate, because of the end of downtown it is located on. So give me your thoughts. Also, do you think we will hear an annoucement for a tower taller than this one? Maybe at the Gateway site.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope oneday we will have a visabale skyline from I-85 but it will probably be a while. With the 20 story tower announced it is definitly a step in the right direction.However I think in order to be seen from I-85 at least a 30 story tower is needed. (Maybe the Gateway site)

Actually, on a clear day you can see the downtown from 85. If you come north on 85, right after you get into the county, on one of those hills if you look left, you can see the Landmark building. It's just one, but with this new building and all of the others that are taking place at this time... I think it's in the near future to have a more visible skyline. I must admit that you have to be looking for it to notice that one building, but I'm just saying that it is possible now and should just become easier and easier.

Also, I do think that it is important to be able to see it from such an important interstate. It makes a statement to all who travel 85. I look forward to watch our skyline slowly (or not so slowly*) rise up out of the trees!

You can definitely see the Landmark Building a couple of times on northbound I-85. One is between exits 39 and 40, the other is between I-185 and White Horse Road/U.S. 25. The second can also be seen on the southbound side and probably better. :)

One thing to be aware of concerning this new tower is that it will most likely not be as visible from I-85 as it sounds. It will sit lower and therefore not rise much, if any, higher than the Landmark Building on the skyline. The thing that it will add from a distance is more density, something that is lacking in most angles of the skyline. Of course this will be a thing of the past once the growing list of highrises begins to be completed. :D

I didn't know you could see it now. I will have to pay attention to that next time I go through there. I always thought the terrain would make it difficult to see.

Believe it or not, you can see Spartanburg's skyline from the old 85 around the Hearon Circle/Asheville Hwy Exit. Also on 26 just north (west) of the mall.

To see the Landmark Building, you need a pretty clear day, but it's definitely there.

Spartanburg has better visibility from both business I-85 and the I-85 bypass, and also I-26. I think this is a great thing for downtown Spartanburg, because it probably attracts the curious off of the interstates and into town for a closer look. :)

I-385 in Greenville should do the same for travelers throughout the area. The beautification project makes people realize there is more to see if they follow that road into town.

There's no "hurry" to build anything on the level of these towers in Greenville. It takes time to get everything worked out and properly prepared to ensure that the project will be successful. I'm just glad we know about them this far ahead of the construction phase. :)

Archived