Parke West, 3415 Murphy, 15 story residential (210 units), 9 story dual brand hotel, 19,000 sq. ft. of retail, underground garage

markhollin

I think one reason here is that the building is right next to the Richland Hall Histoic neighborhood overlay. That has a lot of the neighbors concerned. A lot of the things that were built in the area in years past would not be allowed now.

I get it, but Metro is just so inconsistent with height, overlays, set backs, its just maddening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DDIG said:

My issue is it is on the other side of I-440 and practically on West End and across the street from about 8 office towers. I saw a report where the opposition said it was "In a neighborhood" OK then that large Highwoods building on West End is in a neighborhood by that definition. I understand neighbors are intimidated by large buildings, but if you are in the I-440 loop and about 10,000 jobs are coming downtown THAT WE KNOW OF it needs to densify somewhere, and much better within the I-440 loop than anywhere else.  We start killing large density projects in the core then what is our plan to handle growth?

I could not agree more. This is not the same area or neighborhood as Richland. Build it and build it soon. 

• Like 3

A friend of mine is mostly concerned about the traffic:

"My Nashville friends...please be loud and oppose this.  New development at corner of West End Avenue and Murphy Rd, including hotel.  Will create an additional 4300 additional trips on Murphy Rd a DAY.  I can't even comprehend that."

NoSP -- Richland-West End Neighborhood Association

Edited by LA_TN

12 hours ago, LA_TN said:

"My Nashville friends...please be loud and oppose this.  New development at corner of West End Avenue and Murphy Rd, including hotel.  Will create an additional 4300 additional trips on Murphy Rd a DAY.  I can't even comprehend that."

The vast majority of those trips won't go on Murphy Road past Interstate 440. Seems these guys are conflating that segment with Murphy through Richland and Sylvan Park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, West End turning left onto Murphy Rd is awful, especially coming from 440. This will not make things better in the morning when people are coming to the development, but I can't see it change things as much on the way home in the evenings. Having a hotel there may actually spread those 4000 car trips throughout the day, which would likely help with rush hours. I imagine Bowling Ave will get more traffic as people attempt to avoid Murphy/West End.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mike G said:

To be fair, West End turning left onto Murphy Rd is awful, especially coming from 440. This will not make things better in the morning when people are coming to the development, but I can't see it change things as much on the way home in the evenings. Having a hotel there may actually spread those 4000 car trips throughout the day, which would likely help with rush hours. I imagine Bowling Ave will get more traffic as people attempt to avoid Murphy/West End.

This is a good point, though I suspect a significant portion of the traffic turning left from West End to Murphy comes from westbound I-440, so their ability to use Bowling as a cut-through is limited.

It would be helpful if there were an entrance to the development on West End. The Delta Express adjacent to I-440 closed, there could be a space for an entrance utilizing that and the Chateau West parking lot. There would be room for eight vehicles queued up to make a left turn, more if the concrete median on West End were shortened. The light at Murphy would also provide some gaps to make the turn without requiring a new signal. I guess you could also beef up the bus stop there if you're into that kind of thing.

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

James Kelley, a member of the Richland-West End Neighborhood Association board of directors, is afraid that if development continues around his neighborhood that it will change his quality of life.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/12/10/nashville-development-west-end-tower-traffic-gbt-realty/2205953002/

Ah yes, the guy walking his dog on a side-walk in a ritzy neighborhood is the poster child for being wronged by Nashville's growth on the other side of the interstate :tw_lol:

So they want "Stable zoning" that wouldn't allow for developers to double the current zoning in their neighborhoods. Yet the people that complain about the tall-skinny and HPR zoning in East Nashville cannot get any reprieve or help from the west side. Very interesting....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ingram said:

No insults to the people in this area unlike the ones thrown at the Fairgrounds people.

Puzzling.

Not really.

I guess it matters what perceived class people belong to.

While there is definitely at least some truth to your assessment, you need only return to the Amp debate pages to see see the wealthy WestEnders getting their share of insults thrown at them.  But to be fair, some NIMBY quietly writing a big check to development opposition groups is usually just a lot less comedically ripe for ridicule than some incoherent, red-faced rant at a public hearing.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I actually like the little plaza a lot better. A much better look than the previous rendering, IMO. Much more doable and easier than leasing office space. Great Job GBT!

Putting the drop-off in the back also helps.  With Dose and Chateau next door, easy access to 440, and great bus service up and down West End, this is an excellent location.  I've had an office in American Center (next to Maggiano's) for several years and can attest to the benefit of being so close to 440.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

Nice! Looks like we get to keep Dose and the wine shop, too, which is good.

Don’t get too excited yet. My understanding is the Richland neighborhood is still doing everything they can to kill this project even with the really nice redesign. They don’t believe they should be subject to development near them.