Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

• 2 weeks later...

• dubone changed the title to 1100 S Tryon - Spectrum Mixed Use Project in SouthEnd
  • 1 month later...

The article mentioned they are marketing this as a "gateway to South End".   What are the chances of something being built across the street where the Enterprise is that blocks the Spectrum property?  (Hopefully I am not forgetting something already in the works).  I am a big fan of the Spectrum design.  While I am all for increased density, I would hate for this beautiful set of buildings to be blocked by something less becoming.

13 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

What does this mean?  Who /what protects it?

Here is the article on it courtesy of the agenda:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/18814/that-weird-little-enterprise-on-tryon-was-an-award-winning-architectural-design-back-in-its-day/

I don't actually see it on the register of historic buildings in Charlotte, so I have no idea if it can be torn down or not.  It would be cool if it could be preserved, upfitted, and incorporated into a larger site plan, since it is something of a historic structure, but I think we all know the likelihood of that happening.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its actually historic architecture.

While I am generally very pro-preservation, I gotta say this building would be an excellent candidate to just pick up and move to a more appropriate location. I don't think it was ever a coherent part of its district so there wold be no contextual loss associated with moving it.  If any part of Charlotte is well suited for increasing its density it is here (and First Ward).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jtmonk said:

I believe this will be on part of the block with the Enterprise.  This is the corner of Tryon and Morehead.

DBDE38DC-508B-438F-9E7A-076A106662B1.jpeg

correct. This won't obstruct any views though. 7 floors stick built = 80 feet. 9 floors office equals probably more like 150+ feet

1 minute ago, JorgiPorgi said:

In the first picture: what is that fun in the back of the left building? Is that part of the hotel portion? 

That fin is an overhang for one of the patios. theres a matching one accross the way. FYI this center green portion is going to be just over 1 acre. Hopefully i have my own article going up tomorrow. *FINGERS CROSSED*

53 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

correct. This won't obstruct any views though. 7 floors stick built = 80 feet. 9 floors office equals probably more like 150+ feet

That fin is an overhang for one of the patios. theres a matching one accross the way. FYI this center green portion is going to be just over 1 acre. Hopefully i have my own article going up tomorrow. *FINGERS CROSSED*

Project reminds me of a nicer Gateway Village (which I like).  Very similar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JBS said:

Project reminds me of a nicer Gateway Village (which I like).  Very similar.

Yea it definitely has a Duda Paine vibe, first time we saw it I thought it was Duda, who did Gateway. They are really good at activated public spaces. Gateway Village has by far the best plaza uptown. They basically invented "place making" in Charlotte

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I just wish both buildings weren't perfectly symmetrical.... something different with balconies, or heights, or orientation, and maybe  slight rearrangement of materials.

That would make the public plaza feel more original....

That's a fair point. As someone who hates campuses, this definitely has a campus vibe. Which makes you wonder...