Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I know that no one else shares this view, but I would have liked a new convention center where all of the dangerous housing exists on Remount and Tryon.  

Since it's obviously not going to occur, a new Panthers Stadium and entertainment district on this decrepit and violent site would be nice.  

Before there is anything done with that site, the Billionaires need to finish their argument. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

I hope it will be feasible to maintain (new) affordable housing here even when it gets redeveloped. It obviously can support much greater density and variety of uses than what is currently there. 

A medium sized mid-rise stick built would be able to equal the same amount of affordable housing that currently exists there with a ton of space leftover.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

A medium sized mid-rise stick built would be able to equal the same amount of affordable housing that currently exists there with a ton of space leftover.

That site is enormous.  Personally, I don't think that that site mandates affordable housing.  It could be built in other areas.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That site is enormous.  Personally, I don't think that that site mandates affordable housing.  It could be built in other areas.  

I think the fact that people live in affordable housing in that exact spot, mandates the fact that they should be able to live in that exact spot, or nearby. 

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think the fact that people live in affordable housing in that exact spot, mandates the fact that they should be able to live in that exact spot, or nearby. 

There are many sites just west of 77 that are nearby and which would be far more suitable for affordable housing.

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

There are many sites just west of 77 that are nearby and which would be far more suitable for affordable housing.

How is somewhere inaccessible to the Blue Line far more suitable for affordable housing? 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

They could take buses or drive.  I used to drive by their frequently and saw tons of cars.

Not everyone can afford to own, maintain and drive a car, and our bus system is severely lacking. A healthy urban neighborhood is not just an enclave for the rich

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Was curious about the size of the land there and saw a real estate transaction was made on 12/31. Does this mean a deal has been made regarding the ground lease disagreement? Or just your typical real estate dealing?

image.thumb.png.b9900db82873c59105e516d32c653ebb.png

image.thumb.png.a2e827352dcb0408088008adfa4194e6.png

woah. This almost got lost. Let me look into it.

7 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Yes, let's just keep segregating all of those working class and low income households on the other side of the interstate, "over there" where they are suitable to live. We can't have prime real estate for upper middle class and affluent people taken up. They don't have other options! Where are upper middle class supposed to live? Some Camden or Greystar operated luxury apartment!?!?

In light of all  of the great developments in the area, I simply thought that I'd like to see this site to be redeveloped.  I did not intend to start a class warfare debate.    It's an enormous site that could accommodate many things.

Edited by SydneyCarton

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In light of all  of the great developments in the area, I simply thought that I'd like to see this site to be redeveloped.  I did not intend to start a class warfare debate.    It's an enormous site that could accommodate many things.

And it will be redeveloped, for the entire community. This is an enormously contentious development location, suggesting moving poor folks across the highway is never a good idea, when speaking about this topic.

Edited by Guest

Affordable housing should always be as transit accessible as possible - because as others mentioned above me, taking transit is also more affordable than car ownership. Pairing the two is a great start to solving charlotte’s economic mobility issues. Also, placing affordable housing only in poor or racially segregated or already affordable areas doesn’t do much and shows a lack of serious thought. It packs more of a punch to make our neighborhoods economically (and otherwise) diverse - school access, transit access, other neighborhood level benefits. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brookhill village 2 is 36 acres. That's a LOT of land. Even just setting aside a tenth of it for affordable housing would mean more units than currently exist if they use standard Southend density. For reference, Spectrum Southend down the street is less than than that including the large parking deck.

• Like 4

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Anyway, back to my original point, I think that this would be a great site for a new stadium and entertainment district like the ones being built in St. Louis and Orlando, for example.

I agree about the stadium, but I truly think they will opt for Charlotte Pipe.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Anyway, back to my original point, I think that this would be a great site for a new stadium and entertainment district like the ones being built in St. Louis and Orlando, for example.

Almost every stadium built outside a city core in the last 20 years is now being abandoned for a move back into cities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Almost every stadium built outside a city core in the last 20 years is now being abandoned for a move back into cities.

But this area and Charlotte Pipe are within the city core IMO.  I agree that a new stadium in Rock Hill or North Charlotte would not be a good idea.

Edited by SydneyCarton

Not to detract further from this thread, but I did a search to see if there’s a Brookhill thread and couldn’t find one.   However, I saw many comments on other threads about this site being a possible location for the Panthers and the pros and cons of such a prospect.   I guess I wasn't the only one with this idea....

Anyway, back to 1100 S. Tryon...

Edited by SydneyCarton