Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

7 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

When a building eventually blocks the view of uptown from this building a view from the upper floor straight down should be worth something.

and believe me that will happen but it will be a very urban area upper Southend.  USE as I call it.   If you want views in southend you better build TALL. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Density-ish. I looked at that photo and my reaction was that over half the block is being dedicated to car storage.

I see your point...and yes if anybody hates seeing parking garages it’s me lol but I think this one might not be too bad. But I love the placement of it instead of each individual building having parking connected to it. I think once done you’ll appreciate it. I wonder if the garage will have any retail? 

Edited by j-man

9 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

A mine shaft under there? I thought I remembered that the St Catherine mine was in that area near St Catherine street.

What a missed opportunity for someone to open up a shaft for either a microbrewery or restaurant. If I were retired,  I swear I'd put a glass or plexiglass cover over a shaft and offer, "Charlotte Gold", or "Miner's Choice".  Something. Damn.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

What a missed opportunity for someone to open up a shaft for either a microbrewery or restaurant. If I were retired,  I swear I'd put a glass or plexiglass cover over a shaft and offer, "Charlotte Gold", or "Miner's Choice".  Something. Damn.

Fun Story:

There was a part of the mine that was filled in with old cars on top of each other, the Gold District plans to preserve the cars, and the shaft, and make it a destination/park.  So just a bunch of antique cars stacked on each other, seems very cool to me.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Fun Story:

There was a part of the mine that was filled in with old cars on top of each other, the Gold District plans to preserve the cars, and the shaft, and make it a destination/park.  So just a bunch of antique cars stacked on each other, seems very cool to me.

That would be very cool. I hope it happens. 

My *dream* (but which I am fully aware will never happen) is that the city would re-move the original Mint building--they did it once already!--to the Gold District, maybe even on Mint Street...and re-convert it to a museum about its actual, original purpose, in conjunction with any/all other planned historical mine projects in the district. I think it would be an amazing capstone to an entire 'experience', and be a means of really articulating Charlotte's importance in the national economy, even back in the early 19th century. 

Eastoverians could decide if they still wanted a museum presence in their neighborhood--that modern portion of the building would remain, to be adapted if needed--but if they decided "no," what would it really matter? 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Fun Story:

Very cool. Although by its very nature a mine shaft with rusted antique cars seems like a huge liability and I don't know how they pull it off...

16 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Very cool. Although by its very nature a mine shaft with rusted antique cars seems like a huge liability and I don't know how they pull it off...

100% agreed, lol. NO idea how they pull it off. 

30 minutes ago, ertley said:

That would be very cool. I hope it happens. 

My *dream* (but which I am fully aware will never happen) is that the city would re-move the original Mint building--they did it once already!--to the Gold District, maybe even on Mint Street...and re-convert it to a museum about its actual, original purpose, in conjunction with any/all other planned historical mine projects in the district. I think it would be an amazing capstone to an entire 'experience', and be a means of really articulating Charlotte's importance in the national economy, even back in the early 19th century. 

Eastoverians could decide if they still wanted a museum presence in their neighborhood--that modern portion of the building would remain, to be adapted if needed--but if they decided "no," what would it really matter? 

Brilliant!  I like!

The idea of a mint here and Dahlonega, Georgia, Carson City, as well as San Francisco and Denver was to maintain control of hard money. Once gold or silver was struck in an area and miners sold their bullion, a local private mint would spring to convert the metal to useful coinage. The quality and assay of such coinage would be unknown. Hard money did not travel as well in those days as now. Governments everywhere have been fastidious about maintaining quality and control over coinage before the time of paper money when coins were all that circulated. Thus a strike in an area with sufficient bullion to spark private mints was a threat to the central mint and the trustworthiness of the government. The U. S. then would come in and require bullion sales to the new local mint (examples above) to counteract the threat of uncertain coinage. The Bechtler mint in Rutherfordton is an example of these private mints.

https://www.ncpedia.org/bechtler-mint

• Like 4