Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

11 minutes ago, nicholas said:

If it looks anything like this, it will be hugely transformational for the South End gateway.  I like the open space between the office buildings.  But did Spectrum forget what color is?  Looks really bland aesthetically.

I completely agree. I’m hoping it’s not that grey. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

It will be different from that rendering. I have learned something from this UP site.

Can anyone name a project that was BETTER than initial renderings?  Dimensional Place is one.  FNB appears to be better (nothing built yet obviously).  Kimpton Tryon Park is better (some might strongly disagree and the first rendering was a placeholder).  Legacy Union is less stubby (I'll leave it at that).  Latest CLT lobby renderings (exterior) are way better than originals.  Levine's apartments wrapping the garage are better (not that he'll ever actually build them).   Can't think of any others off the top of my head...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

This may sound dumb but does this Spectrum development have anything to do with the cable provider Spectrum? Do they have a real estate division or something?

none what so ever. Keep in mind Spectrum was originally Time Warner. Them changing their name to Spectrum was just a annoying coincidence (for "The Spectrum Companies"). Next time I talk to them I'll ask them how they felt about that name change.  That said this isn't a dumb question, back in the day Duke Energy developed quite a lot of stuff, that division was later spun into what we now call Crescent Communities today.

Edited by Guest

36 minutes ago, JBS said:

These are good examples, though to my eye they actually match the renderings pretty well.  Nonetheless, they both turned out better than I expected.

Not to get too far off topic but the current 300 South Tryon is not the first rendering for that site. The first one was awful and I’m so glad we have what we have now. Now, back to spectrum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Not to get too far off topic but the current 300 South Tryon is not the first rendering for that site. The first one was awful and I’m so glad we have what we have now. Now, back to spectrum. 

What we know as 300 South Tryon is the FOURTH building proposed at that location. First by BarclaysAmerica in the 80s, and then Spectrum 2 more times afterward. Once for RBC Centura, and once for Wachovia.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What we know as 300 South Tryon is the FOURTH building proposed at that location. First by BarclaysAmerica in the 80s, and then Spectrum 2 more times afterward. Once for RBC Centura, and once for Wachovia.

I’m referring to RBC. Wachovia would have been the 1400 footer I believe? 

3 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I’m referring to RBC. Wachovia would have been the 1400 footer I believe? 

nope. 4 First Union would have been were the Kiosk/Elevated seating area, across the street is today.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Ha, news to me.  I only remembered the one that mostly looks like the final product.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

none what so ever. Keep in mind Spectrum was originally Time Warner. Them changing their name to Spectrum was just a annoying coincidence (for "The Spectrum Companies"). Next time I talk to them I'll ask them how they felt about that name change.  That said this isn't a dumb question, back in the day Duke Energy developed quite a lot of stuff, that division was later spun into what we now call Crescent Communities today.

In my time (Ahem) Duke Power, now Duke Energy, had a division named Crescent Land and Timber which managed all the vast holdings accumulated for the company as part of generation uses, buffers and general acquisitiveness of the company with pockets without bottoms. CL&T controlled the land leased to individuals around the lakeshore of power lakes including Norman and Wylie. More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crescent_Communities

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 6:36 PM, atlrvr said:

Spectrum has indicated an accelerated development schedule ( breaking ground pretty much right after rezoning) while being mum on partners or tenants.

If they start construction this quickly, it will likely only be on the parking deck and hotel.  My office is currently in this building and our lease runs through February.  The building is probably between 50% and 75% occupied as at least all of the 2nd and 3rd floors are occupied., but non of the first floor is occupied.  Our lease does not give them a right to relocate us, and I think this would be pretty expensive relative to the lost income.

However, if the parking deck is the only thing that requires significant digging, then maybe this works out on timing.  By the time they are coming out of the ground with the deck, the existing building will be empty and demoed.

• Like 2

If they start construction this quickly, it will likely only be on the parking deck and hotel.  My office is currently in this building and our lease runs through February.  The building is probably between 50% and 75% occupied as at least all of the 2nd and 3rd floors are occupied., but non of the first floor is occupied.  Our lease does not give them a right to relocate us, and I think this would be pretty expensive relative to the lost income.
However, if the parking deck is the only thing that requires significant digging, then maybe this works out on timing.  By the time they are coming out of the ground with the deck, the existing building will be empty and demoed.

I think the deck is all above ground. Just need to dig for foundation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess to be clear, I expect the resonant decision to not be finalized until December or January regardless, so I don't view a February or March demo being a material delay.

Out if curiosity, do you know if Feb was their max date they'd be willing to extend?  Wonder if that's all remaining tenants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I guess to be clear, I expect the resonant decision to not be finalized until December or January regardless, so I don't view a February or March demo being a material delay.

Out if curiosity, do you know if Feb was their max date they'd be willing to extend?  Wonder if that's all remaining tenants.

Makes sense.  I would love it if they asked us to move!  This building is a dump.  It force my company to find a more permanent home.

I don't have certainty on your second point, but that is my understanding.  We were looking for a 1 year lease in Feb of this year, but I was told this building was a good option because they would only do a 1 year lease.  There is an e-Cig company here that takes up a whole floor.  The other "bigger" tenants are a couple medical offices, an accounting firm, and us (real estate - Shocked?).   My presumption is that every lease expires on or before March 1, 2019.  I will ask some of the other tenants to try to confirm.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pgsinger said:

If they start construction this quickly, it will likely only be on the parking deck and hotel. 

This project has the option to be built in phases, with the northern office building constructed while the existing building is still in place.

• Like 2

This is what 1100 South Tryon's office space listing says only short term leases.  13xxx sq ft vacant of out 58,000 sq ft total.

Short term deals / flexible lease term

- negotiable rate

- up to 13,500 SF

- Prime South End location, just 2 blocks from Uptown

- Systems furniture available

- 3/1,000 parking

from siteindexcharlotte.com

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Spectrum is having their public meeting this Tuesday in SouthEnd for their proposed project who knows KJ may be there.

http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2018Petitions/Pages/2018-085.aspx

18 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

Im going to show up and ask as many people ad possible if they are KJ before being kicked out

Honestly, it shouldn't be too difficult to spot KJ - he's alleged to drive this car (photo below)  

For further details, see @KJHburg  intriguing "Crescent Stonewall Station" post dated Monday August 20 at 10:41 P.M. on p. 54 of that thread. 

IMG_2410.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Update:  Most tenants are moving out on or before February 28, 2019.  The e-cigs tenant is currently waiting for their new space to be completed then they are out.  That is significant because they are by far the largest tenant.  To my knowledge, there is one tenant with a lease that extends substantially beyond February, 2019.  That tenant and Spectrum are in buy-out negotiations.  I would expect the buy-out to be substantially final in the next 30 days.  

Is anyone actually attending the meeting tonight?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pgsinger said:

Update:  Most tenants are moving out on or before February 28, 2019.  The e-cigs tenant is currently waiting for their new space to be completed then they are out.  That is significant because they are by far the largest tenant.  To my knowledge, there is one tenant with a lease that extends substantially beyond February, 2019.  That tenant and Spectrum are in buy-out negotiations.  I would expect the buy-out to be substantially final in the next 30 days.  

Is anyone actually attending the meeting tonight?

I'm going to try to cover it for CA but from remote. I'll post whatever I get once it goes live.