Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

14 hours ago, j-man said:

Maybe they can make the diner be a ground floor restaurant for whatever building they may develop on that land. No surface parking anymore but who in Charlotte would really miss that.

I wish, but it never seems to happen like this. I think logistically it would be a challenge to close and then reopen, but the bigger issue is that I bet the rent would be prohibitively expensive and/or the new owner would be more worried about keeping office tenants happy and not see a diner as a selling point. 

• Like 2

^^^ I think Spectrum will bring in Elior for some dining concepts.  As a tenant in their 300 South Tryon building and operators of La Belle Helene and Parliament Coffee I think they will whip up some concepts for this project.    The rent would be fairly high I would imagine.  Spectrum is a first class developer with quality projects for sure.  I hope they bring some non food retail in there as well maybe fronting Tryon St. 

• Like 2

Tossing in a dumb question here.  But from a density, parking and overall fit, how feasible would a building to the tune of at least 8-10 stories be on the block that houses Uptown Cabaret?  It is an odd shape and outside of the building that is going in across the street on S. Morehead, and the other office building that has the gym on the bottom floor, there are not many "cool neighbors" right next door.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Tossing in a dumb question here.  But from a density, parking and overall fit, how feasible would a building to the tune of at least 8-10 stories be on the block that houses Uptown Cabaret?  It is an odd shape and outside of the building that is going in across the street on S. Morehead, and the other office building that has the gym on the bottom floor, there are not many "cool neighbors" right next door.

Something like Springhill Suites could be built there, but parking would be difficult. Its doable, but it would be hell to drive around in haha. 

The plan 10+ years ago was to straighten College out..... don't know if that's still under consideration, but that would square off the block.....I believe the plan was to eliminate Morehead Square Dr and combine with S College allowing for something to be built along that parking deck.... very tricky site.

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

The plan 10+ years ago was to straighten College out..... don't know if that's still under consideration, but that would square off the block.....I believe the plan was to eliminate Morehead Square Dr and combine with S College allowing for something to be built along that parking deck.... very tricky site.

Last I saw that is how it was being marketed. I haven't seen a marketing deck for this site in probably 2 years though. 

18 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

Would be funny if they build 8-10 stories on the site and block the views of the newly constructed $1m+ townhomes across from midnight diner

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

from a Business Journal article about burgeoning South End office market  there is this: 

""McClure said the forces that Spectrum saw at its 300 South Tryon project in uptown also translate to its South End development: access to amenities, transit, residences and related factors. He said Spectrum, which is working with an institutional client of Invesco Real Estate at its South End project, expects to begin work there in the second quarter and will likely deliver in late 2020.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/31/how-charlottessouth-end-became-a-new-home-for-hq.html?ana=e_clt_bn_exclusive&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTldKbE0yWXdOVEE1WVRZeCIsInQiOiJHYVhJejk3ako4RngyRmNjcmRJSUhqbldiNmtCMkJrUTV2Q2F6T3NQZm1QTGl5SGRTa1pEM2dGTXJTYjc0T21uMU14U3laVEJuMVRWbkZCY2RNUG1QM2xkZ0x6eENOWEZET1pvaHFQc3ZFK2RvNEV4NDE5R2h3WjUwQllKVEZnMCJ9

This is telling me that they have one of LendingTree or Honeywell.

That's right ladies and gents, rumor has it, LT is back on the market.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Wells Fargo leased the entire building, which is why LendingTree is back out there. 

Now I'm not happy that it's that company that took it.  Seems like a better fit for a Lending Tree caliber company not Wells.  

I guess though I'm still happy 300ksqft is off the market which is what I wanted, just not it be from Wells

Edited by navigator319

57 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Wells Fargo leased the entire building, which is why LendingTree is back out there. 

What is the difference in price per sq ft. between somewhere like 300 S Brevard and the Spectrum property?  I was never thrilled about LT in 300 S Brevard.  As a big CLT Tech success, I would rather see them in a new build with prominent signage.  It won't happen, but I actually think LendingTree in the NAI Southern tower would be awesome.  They would have prominent signage and a killer view.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

What is the difference in price per sq ft. between somewhere like 300 S Brevard and the Spectrum property?  I was never thrilled about LT in 300 S Brevard.  As a big CLT Tech success, I would rather see them in a new build with prominent signage.  It won't happen, but I actually think LendingTree in the NAI Southern tower would be awesome.  They would have prominent signage and a killer view.

Probably $6-$7 per sq ft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am glad Wells is taking that space off the market.  Stream Realty really did a good job renovating.  Plus if I was Wells I would put my name on top.  Wells and Lendingtree in the same relatively small building was never going to work.  

My new predictions Honeywell stays uptown and anchors another tower in Legacy and Lendingtree since they are back out there dating again needs a partner and that could be Spectrum 1100 South Tryon project.  However I am sure everyone is in the buffalo hunt for Honeywell Spectrum (their current landlord) , LH, Beacon with LoSO or even Portman though I think that is a long shot for their project. 

• Like 3

I have some memories running together.  @KJHburg, maybe you can remind me...  Wasn't there a firm that said in a Q4 investor call that they anticipated closing on some land in Uptown in early 2019?  Was that cousins???  Am I blurring that with one of the other projects already announced??  I still think Honeywell ends up at Spectrum.  I think Spectrum has a tenant since they are moving so quickly, and I think Honeywell is more methodical and decisive than LendingTree.

1 minute ago, J-Rob said:

I have some memories running together.  @KJHburg, maybe you can remind me...  Wasn't there a firm that said in a Q4 investor call that they anticipated closing on some land in Uptown in early 2019?  Was that cousins???  Am I blurring that with one of the other projects already announced??  I still think Honeywell ends up at Spectrum.  I think Spectrum has a tenant since they are moving so quickly, and I think Honeywell is more methodical and decisive than LendingTree.

Yes, Cousins. And they regret saying that so candidly. 

1 minute ago, J-Rob said:

Cousins said uptown which may be the North Tryon Library Spirit Square development maybe.  I am not sure Cousins said uptown or SouthEnd.  I listened to it but now can't remember. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Cousins said uptown which may be the North Tryon Library Spirit Square development maybe.  I am not sure Cousins said uptown or SouthEnd.  I listened to it but now can't remember. 

Nah. Its something different. 

• 1 month later...

We have not talked about this one much in a while.  We moved out last week, so I am more or less tapped out of updates.  However, I did snap the two pics below prior to leaving.  I have no idea what they are, but my guess would be electric conduits to use during construction.  DFA had a temporary electric box installed near the Camden/Tryon intersection. 

Also, Spectrum was supposedly drafting letters instructing tenants to get out as soon as their leases ended and trying to convince tenants not to try holding over.  We were trying to holdover because our new space was delayed significant by the LL.  I never saw the letter (I would have), so I am not sure it actually went out.  Interestingly, they never told us we could not holdover.  The only answer we got from Spectrum was they could not get in touch with Invesco.  Also, in January, they built out the first floor for Fontem Ventures.  The places is much nicer than when it was Cardinal Innovations, but nothing very expensive all cubicles.  

I am sticking with my bet that nothing happens at this site until after June 1.

20190304_150909.thumb.jpg.9cbf373efd8c380cdfdfc656721d2683.jpg20190304_150914.thumb.jpg.ad3d06f3c85354b6623ad78f862f97de.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1