KJHburg

Spectrum SouthEnd Mixed Use Project S Tryon St.

So is the Cardinal Innovations building going to get knocked down?  Anything will be an improvement over that, but if Spectrum is serious about creating a pedestrian-friendly atmosphere, this will be a real game-changer for this intersection.  If nothing else, it's great to see South End starting to transition away from the monotonous five story stick built buildings that have defined it for the past decade.

• Like 4

Yes 1100 South Tryon where Cardinal once was I think they moved into the old Chiquita space in the Nascar Plaza will be knocked down.  Spectrum is only offering short term leases there now. 

Of course just to be clear US Bank has not committed to this tower but it is educated speculation on many of our parts.  US Bank is growing in Charlotte and now spread in 2 buildings a couple blocks apart and a Tryon Street address would be important to a bank.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Doesn't it seem like the hotel would potentially be taller in design (up to 17 floors) than the planned 10 floor Office Buildings?

^^ I think the hotel is on top of the parking deck which gives it a head start upward. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Doesn't it seem like the hotel would potentially be taller in design (up to 17 floors) than the planned 10 floor Office Buildings?

I think 17 floors would include likely 6 floors of parking, which would make it shorter. I'd say all would cap out at around 150 feet.

I was hoping for more height here to connect Uptown and South End but will gladly trade that for a well thought out pedestrian treatment.

Looks like I was wrong. Spectrum is seeking up to 250' in height for the hotel and 180' for the office.

EDIT: that said, unless something drastic happens, I stand by my 150' cap for the entire project prediction.

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 4

This project is making the stick apartments at Morehead and South Tryon even more absurd than before. What a waste of a prime corner location. when the next building North is BOAT.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

I wish they could find a way to have the courtyard open up and be more pedestrian friendly to Tryon.  That strip of Carson gets no foot traffic as it is currently, and I feel like creating a pedestrian friendly Tryon-Camden corridor is in everyone's best interest.   I imagine it would be more difficult to use the parcel efficiently if they pivot the layout though.

• Like 2

I am surprised no one has complained about the parking deck fronting Tryon...  Or is it possible they still put retail there?  They do have pretty decent size sidewalks going around it though.  18 feet on Tryon and 1 feet on the others.  I am in the building on this lot now, so I will let you know when they move us.  There is a rumor they might move us mid lease to another one of their buildings nearby...300 S. Tryon?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I assume these two buildings are the 8-floor buildings. Where will the 17-floor hotel be? 

On top of the Parking Deck, in Development Zone A. 

• Thanks 1