Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

• 2 weeks later...

57 minutes ago, JoshuaDrown said:

I’m sure they can envision something cool and functional for the street corner... but I like this every time I walk by. I don’t know if it has any real history, but it looks like it does, and that counts for something.

F91D3214-A3C3-48D8-870F-507100854C40.thumb.jpeg.19078a99df21be676b65c71987d53bb8.jpeg

I have LITERALLY never noticed this. Likely because the block is so bland. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be really interested to see if this creates a precedent for the other midscale buildings that might be on underutilized lots. American City and Morehead Square in particular. Those buildings haven't been around quite as long as 1100 South Tryon (30 years!) but still an interesting thought.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Thought I would go ahead and place this here.  Thanks @EngineerCLT for the renderings.  Hotel looks to be 20 floors and office buildings look to be 8 or 9 depending on the first floor. 

415885053_Pagesfrom20180724Renderings.thumb.jpg.23e30f6137115849950be1f5c4132cf1.jpg

ugh then you notice the catholic diocese in the background

Given their involvement with the Kimpton chain I would not be surprised if Kimpton operates this hotel  as it was mentioned as boutique brand.   I think this is great contrast to the Railyard and Dimensional Funds bldg and will be a great addition.  I like variety of styles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Given their involvement with the Kimpton chain I would not be surprised if Kimpton operates this hotel  as it was mentioned as boutique brand.   I think this is great contrast to the Railyard and Dimensional Funds bldg and will be a great addition.  I like variety of styles.

seems awfully close to the other Kimpton. There is a lot of whitespaces in Charlotte for hoteliers.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jtmonk said:

I am a little surprised that the hotel is pushed back form Tryon Street.  I know there's not much to look at across the street but you would think they would take advantage of being on Tryon Street. 

Office views are much more lucrative than hotel views. 

FYI, renderings aren't final, possibly from another vendor than LS3P, the architect. There will be a community meeting soon, this is one option that has been looked at, this building is very much in development still.

54 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

ugh then you notice the catholic diocese in the background

Speaking of which, I was just in Raleigh and was surprised by how substantial the new Catholic Cathedral is. Despite its tucked-away, semi-suburban location (across Western from Pullen Park, perhaps adjacent to Dix park) it is a significant figure on the skyline.   While I certainly don't think it is an impressive building compared to most Cathedral's, in the context of new Southern cities its interesting (location aside).

Anyway, when I saw it I thought of the Charlotte Diocese parcel and how a more urban version of the Raleigh Cathedral would be an interesting addition to the hood.  There certainly would be downsides (large-scale activity only once a week, parking conflicts w Panthers games, most of the Catholics are in the burbs, etc.), but it would certainly provide some much-needed architectural variation to Southend.

I assume there is no talk of this parcel being in play this cycle? (I haven't heard any). I had thought there was talk of selling back in 2008 but I may be remembering incorrectly.

CROP_raleigh-cathedral1.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2018 at 8:58 PM, KJHburg said:

This is the building that currently sits on the site of the proposed Spectrum project.  It will be torn down and I am guessing if they want LEED certifications for the new building a lot of this building can be recycled.   In my opinion those bricks on the outside could be reused again maybe for pavers or something.  

IMG_1081.JPG

When was this semi-circular on square edifice built?

Spectrum owns the Kimpton Hotel in uptown called the Tryon Park Hotel and because of their relationship they might want to operate another hotel with them in SouthEnd.  Remember 2 Kimptons were proposed in Charlotte but only the one uptown was built.  http://lodgingmagazine.com/kimpton-announces-plans-for-two-new-hotels-in-charlotte-n-c/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Thought I would go ahead and place this here.  Thanks @EngineerCLT for the renderings.  Hotel looks to be 20 floors and office buildings look to be 8 or 9 depending on the first floor. 

1379827266_spectrumsouthend.PNG.257b8da3b06520089f1c2a284551a2dc.PNG

415885053_Pagesfrom20180724Renderings.thumb.jpg.23e30f6137115849950be1f5c4132cf1.jpg

If it looks anything like this, it will be hugely transformational for the South End gateway.  I like the open space between the office buildings.  But did Spectrum forget what color is?  Looks really bland aesthetically.

• Like 1