Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

17 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Today @ 12:45 p.m

848799690_lending5.thumb.jpg.499a2f90d809036b5e73fe1d9e85cc9b.jpg

I can't recall if this has already been mentioned by RDF, derrr.... Tyree Ricardo... but is the Catholic Diocese property in play at all?  I'd have to think they've realized the gold mine they are sitting on.  IIRC they were so enamored with the big gold 400 South Tryon building that they designed and built a mini-me version of it back in the early 80's.  I think that's right.  Or could be urban legend.  Or I just made that up.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I can't recall if this has already been mentioned by RDF, derrr.... Tyree Ricardo... but is the Catholic Diocese property in play at all?  I'd have to think they've realized the gold mine they are sitting on.  IIRC they were so enamored with the big gold 400 South Tryon building that they designed and built a mini-me version of it back in the early 80's.  I think that's right.  Or could be urban legend.  Or I just made that up.  

to my knowledge it is not in play at this time, but at some point Money will talk.

28 minutes ago, Tyree Ricardo said:

to my knowledge it is not in play at this time, but at some point Money will talk.

the question is it is literally sitting on a gold mine where is the old St Katherines gold mine shaft in this area?   I think if anything the bus lot could be sold since that could easily be moved towards the airport and out of the uptown southend congestion and still serve all their schools.  

• Like 1

Today I learned that the street is named Catherine Street and not Saint Catherine, though obviously for the mine. Official 1935 street map of Charlotte has it so named and placed.

I searched for ten minutes and could not find the origin of the name Saint Catherine for this mine. It seems to have been McCombs mine first, then St Catherine.

A shiny new dime for whomever uncovers the reason for Saint Catherine mine name.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Seabrooke said:

Finally some cladding! Almost time for the “‘It’s so ugly’ for 40-60 pages before half heartedly liking it” brigade to move into this thread, I can’t wait to hear their opinion of every single building layer that is eventually covered or polished in the end, every intelligent rebuttal slapped with a mindless “value engineered” or “the glass is the same color as everything else it’s so boring” comment. 

I, for one, am excited for them to move on from the Ally Building!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Seabrooke said:

Finally some cladding! Almost time for the “‘It’s so ugly’ for 40-60 pages before half heartedly liking it” brigade to move into this thread, I can’t wait to hear their opinion of every single building layer that is eventually covered or polished in the end, every intelligent rebuttal slapped with a mindless “value engineered” or “the glass is the same color as everything else it’s so boring” comment. 

I don’t think you’ll see much of that as this project is fairly liked from the renderings. But I did see an annoying comment about “Charlotte beige” as if the renderings haven’t been out for about a year now. I think the actual shape  of these buildings and their height save it from the negative comments. 

Edited by j-man

40 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I’m not ready to call DOA with the hotel, but the second tower I would imagine is on hold until further notice. Again because of the current situation.

The hotel would be 18-24 months away from completion I would think so that should be fine as this will pass and demand will ramp back up.

• Like 4