Vantage South End - 1100 S Tryon

KJHburg

1 hour ago, lancer22 said:

I'll take the under

A bet I would love to lose.  I do know the building doesn't come down until June.  That is 100% guaranteed.  As someone else mentioned, other construction could start sooner.  I will keep an eye on the gravel lot to the south.  When they close that lot, we will know construction will be starting as that is where the parking lot will go.  I think it makes the most sense to start there if they start before demoing the existing structure.  No way they build one of the virtually identical towers with the other trailing 5 months behind.

Edited by pgsinger

10 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

I bet I would love to lose.  I do know the building doesn't come down until June.  That is 100% guaranteed.  As someone else mentioned, other construction could start sooner.  I will keep an eye on the gravel lot to the south.  When they close that lot, we will know construction will be starting as that is where the parking lot will go.  I think it makes the most sense to start there if they start before demoing the existing structure.  No way they build one of the virtually identical towers with the other trailing 5 months behind.

If this wins Honeywell (and I think they are the best positioned for it, since Portman needs some more work with CDOT), they really only need one building to start. I doubt anything is vertical before summer though. Just site work.

Edited by Guest

If I were a Fortune 100 company and wanted high visibility I would choose this project hands down over the Portman project or stay uptown and anchor Legacy 3.   

Yes I will start a parking lot watch along with others on that back lot and see any movement.  If I was spectrum I would go ahead and build the garage and  you can lease out spaces to other people too in the meantime until the offices and hotel get opened.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If I were a Fortune 100 company and wanted high visibility I would choose this project hands down over the Portman project or stay uptown and anchor Legacy 3.   

Yes I will start a parking lot watch along with others on that back lot and see any movement.  If I was spectrum I would go ahead and build the garage and if you can lease out spaces to other people too in the meantime until the offices and hotel get opened.  

Couldn't have said it better

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

SouthEnd scoring a Fortune 100 company will likely be the kickstart to more height outside of 277. 

As crazy as this sounds, I think most projects in South End will top out around the 250' mark. For one, this seems to fit best into the South End vision plan. Also, seems like city council is pushing everything to TOD, which I believe has a 250' max. However, in 20 years, I could see the northern part of the Gold District get some height, in essence mirroring LU across 277 if that makes sense.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 9:29 AM, lancer22 said:

I'll take the under

You may have already won... Spectrum is not allowing any short term lease extensions in the building despite having at least one tenant here through May. They also relocated some tenants inside the building. Someone mentioned they were going for LEED certification on the new building. I'm wondering if this means they are going to start the slow demo/salvage of the building between now and the end of May. Which, I would take as an indication they want to be quick overall, so maybe construction on the rest of the parcel starts prior to May 31...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

This is another great project for the area!  Just makes me think that Uptown Cab and Midnight Diner's days are dwindling.  Can't imagine the diner leaving bc it always seems pack and CLT needs more 24/7 spots, but Avidxchange did this to the old Mattie's Diner...guess everyone has a price. 

Maybe they can make the diner be a ground floor restaurant for whatever building they may develop on that land. No surface parking anymore but who in Charlotte would really miss that.

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

This is another great project for the area!  Just makes me think that Uptown Cab and Midnight Diner's days are dwindling.  Can't imagine the diner leaving bc it always seems pack and CLT needs more 24/7 spots, but Avidxchange did this to the old Mattie's Diner...guess everyone has a price. 

Uptown Caberet's land has been for sale for 5 or 6 years. As I understand it, there is a clause that the purchaser of the land leases back the Caberet to the current owner. Its the only "classy" strip club nearly uptown. It makes boat loads of money. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Uptown Caberet's land has been for sale for 5 or 6 years. As I understand it, there is a clause that the purchaser of the land leases back the Caberet to the current owner. Its the only "classy" strip club nearly uptown. It makes boat loads of money. 

This is the issue. A strip club is a 0/10 amenity for an office or an apartment building.....well maybe not depending on your tenants

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

This is the issue. A strip club is a 0/10 amenity for an office or an apartment building.....well maybe not depending on your tenants

I've been to sales meetings at strip clubs in Manhattan that serve some awesome Ribeye. As you can imagine the sales exec running the meeting wasn't the classiest fella.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've been to sales meetings at strip clubs in Manhattan that serve some awesome Ribeye. As you can imagine the sales exec running the meeting wasn't the classiest fella.

Look at the Cheetah in Atlanta (classy name btw), it has survived being in the heart of Atlanta's top office district. NCR recently paid them a fortune to remove their neon signs outside lol. 

Charlotte zoning law changes 10-12 years ago effectively ban any new urban strip clubs.  Uptown Cabaret exists by being grandfathered in.  I'm sure they are minting money, and if they close for redevelopment, it's not like they can open a new location a few blocks away.....that said, everyone had their price.

• Like 1

Just now, atlrvr said:

Charlotte zoning law changes 10-12 years ago effectively ban any new urban strip clubs.  Uptown Cabaret exists by being grandfathered in.  I'm sure they are minting money, and if they close for redevelopment, it's not like they can open a new location a few blocks away.....that said, everyone had their price.

Speaking that their price was 35% higher than market value just to buy the land and agree to a lease back, their price is pretty high. I'd be interested in knowing what the current price is, because their price actually makes sense in today's market value.

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Uptown Cabaret getting bought out and replaced with an 8 story beige box would be the most Charlotte thing ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3