zeppelin14

VB "Sports Center"

This project was approved yesterday and will move forward. This will be built next to the Convention Center:

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/council-votes-to-build-68-million-sports-center-near-virginia-beach-oceanfront/1294771598

A lot of the nimby's are already on Facebook complaining. In all honesty, I feel as if this is a waste since there's the sportsplex nearby that they could just expand on.

Screenshot_2018-07-10-18-45-03_1531275993289_48228887_ver1.0_640_360.png

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 1

Aren't they sending like 60 million on this? I think it's a shame that kind of money is going towards this when the city could of put up that money to back through arena deal. 

• Like 1

I think they’re trying to get more athletic events closer to the strip to promote year-round tourism. But when you have the complex across town, I think the arena would’ve made more sense here. 

Correction 68 million. Light rail was 88 million and cost overruns. This should be put to a vote through way light rail was. 

This facility does look awesome and state of the art. I also get that it will draw national sports competions for track and field, and boost year round tourism. However, I feel like this is a slap in the face to the majority of VB residents. I just don't get how they can justify that kind of money for a track and field facility. I feel like the city is settling on this one because the arena fell through. 

• Like 1

Just not excited about this. We already have a wonderful sports center that serves our needs. Without the arena I just don't see much benefit to this. It's like losing on a game show where the main prize was a car and the consolation prize was a basket with an assortment of barely edible cheeses, meats, and candy that nobody likes that I somehow manage to get from someone every Christmas. I mean, I guess it's the thought that counts...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

Just not excited about this. We already have a wonderful sports center that serves our needs. Without the arena I just don't see much benefit to this. It's like losing on a game show where the main prize was a car and the consolation prize was a basket with an assortment of barely edible cheeses, meats, and candy that nobody likes that I somehow manage to get from someone every Christmas. I mean, I guess it's the thought that counts...

I feel like this was forced through so that the politicians can say "look what we did!!!".  Its' not a bad development, but $68 million is a VERY steep price tag. Definitely not worth that kind of expense IMO.

• Like 1