VB "Sports Center"

zeppelin14

This project was approved yesterday and will move forward. This will be built next to the Convention Center:

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/council-votes-to-build-68-million-sports-center-near-virginia-beach-oceanfront/1294771598

A lot of the nimby's are already on Facebook complaining. In all honesty, I feel as if this is a waste since there's the sportsplex nearby that they could just expand on.

Screenshot_2018-07-10-18-45-03_1531275993289_48228887_ver1.0_640_360.png

Edited by zeppelin14
  • Like 1

Correction 68 million. Light rail was 88 million and cost overruns. This should be put to a vote through way light rail was. 

This facility does look awesome and state of the art. I also get that it will draw national sports competions for track and field, and boost year round tourism. However, I feel like this is a slap in the face to the majority of VB residents. I just don't get how they can justify that kind of money for a track and field facility. I feel like the city is settling on this one because the arena fell through. 

• Like 1

Just not excited about this. We already have a wonderful sports center that serves our needs. Without the arena I just don't see much benefit to this. It's like losing on a game show where the main prize was a car and the consolation prize was a basket with an assortment of barely edible cheeses, meats, and candy that nobody likes that I somehow manage to get from someone every Christmas. I mean, I guess it's the thought that counts...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vdogg said:

Just not excited about this. We already have a wonderful sports center that serves our needs. Without the arena I just don't see much benefit to this. It's like losing on a game show where the main prize was a car and the consolation prize was a basket with an assortment of barely edible cheeses, meats, and candy that nobody likes that I somehow manage to get from someone every Christmas. I mean, I guess it's the thought that counts...

I feel like this was forced through so that the politicians can say "look what we did!!!".  Its' not a bad development, but $68 million is a VERY steep price tag. Definitely not worth that kind of expense IMO.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, BFG said:

I was in the Convention Center area, and noticed they're pretty far along with this project. Would still prefer an arena here, but oh well...

Here’s a video update of the project posted today (includes the interior). 

• 7 months later...

Has anyone been by this thing recently? It's design is nothing short of a giant warehouse in Suffolk. From VB Blvd side has the multiple HVAC units at ground level and blank metal paneled wall....just awful. The metal panels are different colors (light and dark gray) and randomly placed, I'm assuming that's their design but wow! The field house at Princess Anne looks waaay better than this thing and that's not saying much. Why not incorporate some tinted or mirrored glass panels? Guess we will have to wait and see how this turns out but right now it looks like a cold storage facility. Not what I would expect from something so near the heavy tourist/convention area.   

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I know the regional arena is on indefinite hold, but I've been watching the NBA since it returned, and I can't help but think "The Bubble" in Orlando is similar to what they're building at the Beach with the Sports Center. Had Junior Olympics gone on, I think this would've been a nice venue for the track-and-field and gymnastics events.

Edited by BFG

On 8/14/2020 at 7:44 PM, urbanlife said:

Cool sports venue, the architecture sucks though.

Purely utilitarian In. design, I agree. And to think that the arena would’ve been sitting there and starting to look pretty sweet right about now. :-( The only good thing here is that there are a ton of mature trees that block this building from your view as you stand in front of the convention center. At least for three seasons, that is lol.  Kind of sad that internationally renowned Skidmore, Owens and Merrill created such a fine building, i.e, The Convention Ctr, one which was meant to set the bar for future building architecture in that area, only to have this ugly shed/hanger/warehouse pop up there 10+ yrs later. Ugh.  Hopefully we get a convention hotel soon, and it will look pretty cool. That Dallas firm (....—Traub) loves this area and they were proposing a handsome building  

2 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Purely utilitarian In. design, I agree. And to think that the arena would’ve been sitting there and starting to look pretty sweet right about now. :-( The only good thing here is that there are a ton of mature trees that block this building from your view as you stand in front of the convention center. At least for three seasons, that is lol.  Kind of sad that internationally renowned Skidmore, Owens and Merrill created such a fine building, i.e, The Convention Ctr, one which was meant to set the bar for future building architecture in that area, only to have this ugly shed/hanger/warehouse pop up there 10+ yrs later. Ugh.  Hopefully we get a convention hotel soon, and it will look pretty cool. That Dallas firm (....—Traub) loves this area and they were proposing a handsome building  

Oh yeah, you would think they would have done something that played off the convention center, even if it was a step down from the convention center, they could have at least done something. This building looks like what a sports center would look like if it was built in a light industrial center.

On 8/16/2020 at 10:42 PM, CrazyPy said:

You know what I don't see, locker rooms for 24 basket ball teams.  Actually don't see any locker rooms at all.

Maybe they plan on using the two meeting rooms as makeshift locker rooms or the locker rooms under the stands in the indoor track is shared with the basketball courts?

Yeah, I don't get the industrial look either. I worked in a complex across from Lynnhaven Mall, and this building looks like it would've gone in that park. 

I hate that the arena plans fell through, and hope that the regional arena plan resumes once we start getting back to normal.

I agree, but we all know that it  came down to Cost.  It’s a public project. They weren’t going to spend another 5-20 million or whatever to make it look pretty because there would be no return on investment. With these things all it’s about what’s going on inside. Nothing will be going on outside. None of these athlete-kids will care what the building looks like outside anyway. City put all the money into the track, hydraulically levitating and banking with 5000 (!) spectators seats. Think about how much that cost—that’s an entire building unto itself. That was a change at the last minute. Based on what they heard from consultants. I think that’s probably what killed any additional exterior “improvements….”

Edited by baobabs727

On 8/18/2020 at 3:36 AM, urbanlife said:

Maybe they plan on using the two meeting rooms as makeshift locker rooms or the locker rooms under the stands in the indoor track is shared with the basketball courts?

Only locker rooms mentioned under the courts are for officials. Personally think this was a waste of money, but hey we got something!