VB "Sports Center"

zeppelin14

As of 07/30/20

At least it looks nice inside, but wow if they would commit to spending some money here coming up to soften the exterior with scale appropriate landscaping (big!!!!) or some type of decorative panels, freestanding glass-like walls or something,  art installations.... This is ridiculous. You can’t really cure bad architecture of this scope and scale. $$$$  Unbelievable. Wondering now how much more it would’ve cost to make a moderately significant difference in aesthetics here?

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 2

I’m sorry to keep harping on this, but I drove past it this afternoon, and it looks like a giant warehouse. I hope they bring some events to put VB and the area on the map, but this looks terribly out of place down there, esp. since they want another high class hotel in that area. 

• Like 2

This is from the Pilot. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a chance to stop yesterday and get a pic. But I don’t think that’s the side facing VB Blvd.; I think that’s on the other side of the building. The angle I saw was just a long wall. 

A118F943-93D5-4071-993A-070C7AEDDA03.jpeg

5 hours ago, BFG said:

This is from the Pilot. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a chance to stop yesterday and get a pic. But I don’t think that’s the side facing VB Blvd.; I think that’s on the other side of the building. The angle I saw was just a long wall. 

A118F943-93D5-4071-993A-070C7AEDDA03.jpeg

It looks equally terrible from every angle. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Virginia City said:

Can someone take a picture of the outside for those that no longer live in the area?

Watch that video I posted above. As of one month ago, but it’s not changed all much outside. You will see the entire exterior and much of the interior. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

These are from the side and back side of the building, I took them on March 15th so it's outdated, but it pretty much looks the same. 

It really was done poorly to face a major road with the service side. I get they need that type of area but I've seen much better designs than this. They could have brought the building closer to the road in the front, moved the bmp and left room for shops in the back with an alley in between. So much land over there, really no excuse. 

IMG_20200315_155643.thumb.jpg.31a9a5a39be4c5f52778d9ce1013b9d9.jpgMVIMG_20200315_155609.thumb.jpg.a8c9cd7bb2e870833a571a9d5b5e5441.jpgIMG_20200315_155547.thumb.jpg.061597e94f1a432e4b84db990f06d51e.jpg

We really could've had a nice arena and maybe an NCAA tournament (not this year, obviously). Supposedly, the NHL was even looking at us.

Instead, we get an Amazon warehouse where you can play basketball and run around a track. To say "That's So Hampton Roads" is the understatement of the year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to Dan Patrick's show this week, the NBA is considering regional bubbles for next season. Orlando of course is under consideration, and I believe Vegas is as well. Just for craps and giggles, I wanna see the region come together to promote the new complex, since fans probably still won't be in attendance.

3 hours ago, BFG said:

The grand opening was today. Regardless of our thoughts on the design, the city has booked 54 events for the first year, 39 of which are new to the area.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw-sports-center-1002-20201002-54blcb4bonc7dpf7irlheb5mqq-story.html

I'm happy they have so many events booked but I'm still thoroughly underwhelmed by this project. 

• 9 months later...

COVA Biz magazine talks at length about the facility and new complexes elsewhere, plus the idea of whether pro sports could come here. 

I disagree with James Koch’s idea that this area is too small for pro sports, and thinks we sell ourselves short with small-town thinking. 

https://covabizmag.com/the-business-of-sports-in-coastal-virginia/

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 7:46 PM, baobabs727 said:

City Council will be appropriating what I think will be approx. another $6or $7 million for additional storage.  By all accounts, the Sports Center has been a tremendous success. It’s even looking a bit better from the outside as the landscaping matures. 

It has been great and brought alot of people and money. But I'll never forgive them for what they did fronting VB blvd

• Like 1