Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

On 2/3/2019 at 11:07 PM, titanhog said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a name change.  The Nashville Titans would work just fine for me.

As long as they remain the Titans.  As an ORU alum, I'm still a little salty about their name change from Titans to Golden Eagles.  Titans is a great name for a sports team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

As long as they remain the Titans.  As an ORU alum, I'm still a little salty about their name change from Titans to Golden Eagles.  Titans is a great name for a sports team.

I was always partial to the Tornadoes during the name contest. Copperheads as well, that lent itself to a good color scheme. Just think, we could have had the Tennessee Tornadoes in the NFL and the Nashville Fury in the NHL.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Heard 102.5 talking about this on the radio today. They were just bs-ing on what they thought the Commissioners biggest question would be to the group and they all agreed it would be, "Where would this team play and how would you pay for the stadium?"

Briley is on the record saying he would welcome MLB but there would be no public money for a stadium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

Briley is on the record saying he would welcome MLB but there would be no public money for a stadium.

So it sounds like this plan is already dead in the water? Who is going to pay 100% out-of-pocket for property, stadium construction, franchise expansion costs, etc. for a dying sport that is losing fans year-over-year?

These "NASCAR in Nashville" and "MLB in Nashville" enthusiasts are focusing way too much on an absolute pipe dream.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NashvilleObserver said:

So it sounds like this plan is already dead in the water? Who is going to pay 100% out-of-pocket for property, stadium construction, franchise expansion costs, etc. for a dying sport that is losing fans year-over-year?

These "NASCAR in Nashville" and "MLB in Nashville" enthusiasts are focusing way too much on an absolute pipe dream.

I do not think NASCAR is as much of a pipe dream as MLB. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

To me that means no bonds, like for MLS but that doesn’t say anything about tax breaks or other incentives, like what amazon and other businesses got. 

But regardless of all that. Land is the biggest bugaboo, if it’s not downtown or inside the 440 loop. I think it’s a failure. 

But short of PSC Metals (my and many people’s always present dream to get that redeveloped)  maybe River North? Somewhere else on the east bank north of the stadium? Somewhere down by the river off of Hermitage Ave? 

Just my immediate thoughts. 

19 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

The group understands that public money will not be available, but likely a pipe dram regardless, but so was MLS.  

According to Loar, there is land near Nissan Stadium that is already owned by the Metropolitan Sports Authority and is large enough to carve out space for more than just a stadium.

He says the plot is large enough to build a "destination" entertainment complex that could houses both professional football, baseball and other events -- an idea so enticing, Loar believes, it would lure investors without needing public money to fund the project. 

https://www.wsmv.com/news/local-businessman-pushes-mlb-expansion-in-nashville/article_f46d8802-280f-11e9-963e-df6d48925cd1.html

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

According to Loar, there is land near Nissan Stadium that is already owned by the Metropolitan Sports Authority and is large enough to carve out space for more than just a stadium.

He says the plot is large enough to build a "destination" entertainment complex that could houses both professional football, baseball and other events.

The parcel the stadium is on is 29 acres. AT&T park where the giants play is located on 12.5 acres. It's a park that is super similar to what I would think they would want to build, so they could show off the Nashville skyline in one of the outfields in all their tv coverage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Park

So the 2 parcels with woodland street in the middle total about 12 acres, so that would be feasible, IF there wasn't a bridge there. I don't think they would want it behind the stadium, but you could probably position it in the lot behind the stadium so that the open outfield was looking towards all the stuff being built on 2nd Ave. 

We tailgate in that lot for Titan's games and it's never full. 

SportsAuthority.jpg

OutfieldView.png

51 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The parcel the stadium is on is 29 acres. AT&T park where the giants play is located on 12.5 acres. It's a park that is super similar to what I would think they would want to build, so they could show off the Nashville skyline in one of the outfields in all their tv coverage. 

Would that face west southwest?  Or it could be oriented west northwest?  Generally ballparks face east and preferably east north east.  Could be like GAB in Cincy....skyline sits behind home plate.

A good location for a ballpark I think would be between the railroad tracks and Spring Street/Jefferson Street bridge.

Also, if homeplate is facing 2nd Ave. South that would be facing southeast-up here in Cincinnati the homeplate at Great American Ballpark faces Southeast.

I knew they were going to do some private investmement stadium/entertainment/retail/dining development on the east bank. I figured it would be a new NFL stadium instead of a Major League Baseball stadium.

They're probably going to build something similar to the L.A. NFL stadium complex.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

At some point they will build a new football stadium on the east bank and it will probably go where any proposed MLB stadium would go according to the diagram above, most likely on the huge area east of the current stadium. So any idea of putting a MLB stadium there will be nixed in a NY minute, IMO.

When they build the new stadium which I think they will at some point, they will have to keep they old stadium in play until construction is finished on the new stadium. I also think that when and of course if it is built, then it will follow the models of most all of the newer stadiums and incorporate a huge mixed use project around the new facility.

• Like 1

I went to Milwaukee for a few baseball games last year and a couple at Atlanta.   Brewers have an awesome venue, but it is not really near anything.   Atlanta's new stadium  has basically the Gulch built around it.   If Nashville were to get a relocated team, they would have to build something similar to Atlanta (Marietta) to make it work.   But, I don't believe MLB needs expansion at all and I dont think that Nashville would support it long term.  

• Like 1

Yeah I don't see it as being an expansion team. I would think it would be like Oakland or Montreal moving to a new city.

I haven't been to the new Atlanta stadium but I'm looking forward to it at some point, everyone that goes has nothing but good things to say about it.

If they can't fill the seats they're going to have a hard time justifying a new stadium for eight regular season games a year. The stadium seats have looked anywhere from 20% to 40% vacant for the past four years.

The NFL can't justify fleecing taxpayers for a team that can't fill the seats.

Edited by Ingram

17 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Yeah I don't see it as being an expansion team. I would think it would be like Oakland or Montreal moving to a new city.

I haven't been to the new Atlanta stadium but I'm looking forward to it at some point, everyone that goes has nothing but good things to say about it.

I actually liked Turner Field better, but the surroundings of Sun Trust make it  awesome.  We stayed at a Double Tree the next exit down and just Ubered to Battery Park.  Im going up to Cincinatti at the end of the month to watch a couple of Nats games.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ingram said:

If they can't fill the seats they're going to have a hard time justifying a new stadium for eight regular season games a year. The stadium seats have looked anywhere from 20% to 40% vacant for the past four years.

The NFL can't justify fleecing taxpayers for a team that can't fill the seats.

Renovating Nissan Stadium would be an uphill battle, much less building a totally new facility.

Plus ya can't beat the current locations'.......location!

• Like 1