MLBrumby

Nashville, as MLB Expansion Market

Couple of notes here:

• Home plate faces the afternoon sun, most parks are oriented northeast
  • The roof is umbrella-style (like T-Mobile Park), which means no climate control
  • The pedestrian bridge is NRHP-listed, which includes the approach being demolished, and I think the Bridge Building (in spite of the extensive renovations) is NRHP-eligible

1 minute ago, Nash_12South said:

I noticed the orientation too. That could be a "problem", on days like this......

I think that is why they have the roof. to block the sun. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I think that is why they have the roof. to block the sun. 

It wouldn't block it though. Early- and late-season afternoon games, the sun is going to go right through that big-ass arch and into a right-handed batter's eyes.

Of course, if they take a cue from their gridiron neighbors to the north the Stars wouldn't be playing many games in October...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

I'm genuinely interested in this thread from the perspective of why Nashville thinks it's a better fit for MLB than Portland or Charlotte; Davidson County's per capita is 15% lower than Mecklenburg County's, in a significantly smaller tv market that already has three "professional" teams (MLS is about as professional as EFL League Two, but whatever), and Charlotte is smaller than Portland.

Butts in seats no longer drive margins for a significant majority of MLB teams; it's all about the TV contract, and though Tampa just got a massive upgrade to its deal, it's still a crap deal comparatively in a market nearly 70% larger than Nashville's. 

So what gives?  Is it the guy who knows other famous people but doesn't appear to have any money but makes lots of loud noises?  Sincerely confused.

Why?

Because it's Nashville. Nashville has it and those other towns don't.

These people know what they're doing. There's a reason there are at least eleven half billion to two billion dollar developments occuring. 

Edited by Ingram

Don't feed the trolls. That last incoherent sentence "So what gives?  Is it the guy who knows other famous people but doesn't appear to have any money but makes lots of loud noises?  Sincerely confused."  had to be written by a 14 year old. Mature adults don't think that way about a whole city. Sounds like the pi$$ing contests college students get into about how great their hometowns are. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, claya91 said:

Big baseball fan here.. several issues come to mind.

1. We have a brand new 91 million dollar triple A stadium 

2. MLB is having attendance issues and Nashville would be the second smallest metro to host a MLB team.

3. The majority of baseball fans here have allegiance to the Braves and to a lessor degree (unfortunately) the Cubs.

4. Nissan Stadium is a bottom tier NFL stadium and any further expansion would be disrupted (and necessary to host a super bowl)

If that logic had merit then the Oilers would never have come. After all the two most popular teams in the region before their arrival were the Steelers and Cowboys. On top of that I don't know anyone who cares one iota about the Braves today and they are certainly not going to not go to a game in Nashville because of loyalty to them or even worse the Cubs.

Outside of the playoffs, baseball games have never been filled to capacity. Going back to the 90s, I've seen all of the teams have games with far less than capacity crowds.

The Super Bowl has a top rotation of Miami and New Orleans. You can definitely now add Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Those cities are going to host anywhere from one to two (maybe even three) Super Bowls a decade. The next group is Tampa Bay and Phoenix. Those two will get at least one a decade. That leaves Houston and Atlanta in the every once in a while category and that's assuming Atlanta's Super Bowl wasn't just a one off gift for building a stadium just like the Super Bowls for Indianapolis, Detroit, Minnesota, New York, San Francisco, and Dallas. 

So that means if Nashville elbows it's way into the Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas rotation (which it can); it will probably only get a Super Bowl once every seven to twelve years. 81 home baseball games a year over that same time span would be worth more.

Edited by Ingram

There is not an MSA with 2 million or under with 4 of the big five franchises. If there is please correct me. Do we have the population and the spending power to support another major league team?

5 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

There is not an MSA with 2 million or under with 4 of the big five franchises. If there is please correct me. Do we have the population and the spending power to support another major league team?

Majah Leeguh Sahcah don't count.

Edited by Ingram

This might be one of the five: billion dollar developments on the river Cooper was talking about.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Perhaps in 2024 and beyond. 

6 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

This is even more confusing. This shows as the entertainment living room. Which is at the end of the pedestrian bridge. So the pedestrian bridge would dump out into a concert venue? What what?

which means the pedestrian bridge would dead end into a locked gate 360 days a year.    a la the Ascend Greenway and the Cumberland Greenway through First TN Park

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ingram said:

The Tennessee Titans have had empty seats everywhere for the last five seasons for just eight home games a year. A privately funded baseball stadium mixed use development will probably get the go ahead over a near billion dollar stadium renovation for a team that can't fill the seats for eight games a year.

You want to talk about empty seats?  Go look at attendance for teams not in the historic baseball markets...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Agree about the Braves, but I would've thought there were more Reds fans than Cubs fans in Nashville.  

Um... Cardinals... 

cubs fans are everywhere.  but Nashville has been a 3 team city for a long time.  Reds, Braves, and Cardinals.  Reds have fallen off, but the other two are still strong.  Ill admit the Braves are probably pulling the most now.

Just now, volsfanwill said:

Um... Cardinals... 

cubs fans are everywhere.  but Nashville has been a 3 team city for a long time.  Reds, Braves, and Cardinals.  Reds have fallen off, but the other two are still strong.  Ill admit the Braves are probably pulling the most now.

TN is Braves country, boy!