Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

• 3 weeks later...

5 hours ago, nashvylle said:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-baseball-orlando-1120-20191119-t2qlhg3p7bh4lgehb62e3y6ylq-story.html

Rumors are Disney is partnering with them.... which would put Orlando in the lead, IMO. 

No way they get an expansion team with the Rays struggling to get a new park 70 miles down the road, not to mention the Marlins' empty stadium.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Rays could move to Orlando, but baseball in Florida (not preseason) is such a difficult proposition.  I think one team in the state in a few years. Where? IDK. But the speculation continues that one of the FLA teams will be looking for a new home. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

I'll post pics when I can, but I was just in Portland, OR, and they are serious about MLB expansion. While I don't see it being successful, they are much further along then Nashville is. They have a store selling MLB to PDX merchandise across the street from their MLS stadium (which is lovely and in the heart of an urban district with no parking but access to two light rail lines). What was odd to me is that I don't believe the city currently has MiLB.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 21jump said:

What was odd to me is that I don't believe the city currently has MiLB.

There is a short-season single-A team in Hillsboro (their Franklin).

Hillsboro_Hops.png

(By the way I'm glad the Sounds do not have a "fun" name.)

Providence Park, their MLS stadium, was formerly Multnomah Stadium or Civic Stadium; it hosted the Portland Beavers (a triple-A team in the Pacific Coast League, same league as the Sounds) on and off since 1903.

I would argue a city that can't maintain a consistent AAA presence will have a hard time keeping a franchise in the show, but what do I know.

• Like 3

By the way, I posted a topic in the Tennessee forum of UP about MLB's plans to eliminate its affiliation and support of many minor league teams. Chattanooga's and Jackson's teams and the entire Appalachian League would be gone. There is already pushback to have MLB's anti-trust exemption removed if they do. It would be tragic.

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 7:22 PM, WebberThomas4 said:

New York Giants - San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals - Arizona Cardinals

Carolina Panthers - Florida Panthers 

Winnipeg Jets - New York Jets

LA Kings - Sacramento Kings

I knew of those but only named the one pertinent to the issue. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:07 PM, jmtunafish said:

To pay homage to the Nashville Stars of the former Negro League, the group trying to bring MLB to Nashville has applied to trade mark a team logo similar to that of the old Nashville Stars, and has even said the name they'd like for a future MLB team is Nashville Stars.  In addition, they're partnering with the Negro Leagues Museum to potentially cooperate marketing and social media.

Music City Baseball, a group trying to bring Major League Baseball to Nashville, recently filed an application to trademark this logo.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2020/05/13/nashville-mlb-logo-trademark-john-loar/3110380001/

I know it could be ridiculously confusing (and maybe even against the rules) but I'd still love to see the Nashville Hits more than anything.

I appreciate the history behind the Stars, but the name is a bit boring in my opinion.

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

Heck, look at the SEC.  How many Tigers and Bulldogs can ya fit in a conference?

No kidding. I think "Tigers" is the 2nd most used sports mascot after "Eagles" in the country, with "Bulldogs" 3rd. 

I'm all for some form of originality because the same names gets old.

I feel like this group has made a smart move partnering with the negro league people. I agree the name is pretty boring, but this group could be a secret ingredient we have to put us over other cities for a new franchise or relocation. Kind of in the same way 5th and broad partnered with the African American music museum in getting that development pushed through. 

• Like 2

I used to be close to an attorney who worked with the Dunavent group bidding for an NFL franchise for Memphis in 1993. He advised them to propose the nickname "Kings" but Dunavent insisted on "Hound Dogs" (Elvis Presley Enterprises was involved).  Reportedly, he claimed that the name was already used (NBA), but my former colleague assured him that they had permission from George Maloof that they would be able to use the name. Of course, the link was to the ancient Egyptian Kings... the "King" of Rock and Roll... and Martin Luther King Jr.   When the group lost the bid, Dunavent told my friend he wished he had taken his advice... as there'd be no way the NFL would turn down homage to MLK Jr. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I kind of like that MLB teams are a little basic.  Their logos are too.  "D" for Detroit, "NY" for New York.  Just great classics.  The crazy names (Toledo Mudhens) is great for minor leagues.  Again, just my opinion.  

I'm not a huge baseball guy myself but I totally agree with you.  I much prefer the classic logos and team names to the cartoonish ones like the Devil Rays and Marlins.  My fitted White Sox cap cap is a regular part of my casual wardrobe!  haha

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I am not a huge baseball fan either.  But I will say this, going to a game is much more fun than watching them on TV.  IMO golf and baseball is good napping TV programming.  But going to a MLB baseball game... there's really nothing like it.  Growing up in Detroit and going to old Tiger Stadium... I have also been to Wrigley Field.  If we get a team I will definitely go to a few games.  

I couldn't agree more.  I'd rather watch just about anything than baseball on TV, but going to a game live... being in the sunshine with the sounds of the roar of the crowd and the crack of the bat... the smell of roasted peanuts... the nachos and beer... and more beer... and maybe a hot dog and some soft serve out of one of those tiny helmets... and then maybe more beer lol... the camaraderie with your fellow fans around you... and, oh yeah... the baseball game itself!  Definitely a good time... although I will say that, at least in Chicago, MLB games are a little too pricey for me to want to go very often, which is why minor league baseball is so perfect for someone like me.  When I go visit my parents in South Bend in the summer sometimes we'll go to a South Bend Cubs game (the Cubs single A affiliate) and tickets are like five dollars or something absurdly cheap... it's just about the best way one could possibly spend five bucks in the summer time in my book.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I used to be close to an attorney who worked with the Dunavent group bidding for an NFL franchise for Memphis in 1993. He advised them to propose the nickname "Kings" but Dunavent insisted on "Hound Dogs" (Elvis Presley Enterprises was involved).  Reportedly, he claimed that the name was already used (NBA), but my former colleague assured him that they had permission from George Maloof that they would be able to use the name. Of course, the link was to the ancient Egyptian Kings... the "King" of Rock and Roll... and Martin Luther King Jr.   When the group lost the bid, Dunavent told my friend he wished he had taken his advice... as there'd be no way the NFL would turn down homage to MLK Jr. 

And so we got Jaguars....Jacksonville Jaguars....and never, ever would there have been the Tennessee Titans.  That's a great story...thanks for sharing.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

I love baseball but don't get to watch it. That said, I muuuuch prefer watching baseball on television. I'm a fan of pitching, so having the camera really let me see what the ball does on its way to the plate and all the slick stuff the catchers do to coax strike calls from the umpire is my jam.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...