Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

16 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Still prefer NBA in Nashville over MLB.  But, should MLB expand in Nashville, it would be good to have a summer sport for locals and tourist, along with soccer.

And as long as the Preds control Bridgestone Arena, there will be no NBA franchise there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

And as long as the Preds control Bridgestone Arena, there will be no NBA franchise there.

Also as long as the Grizz are in Memphis.  I know it's en vogue amongst Nashvillians to hate on Memphis, but personally, I love Memphis too and want it to thrive, so I hope the NBA stays there.

Also, GO GRIZZ... IN JA WE TRUST!!!!

:D

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

Also as long as the Grizz are in Memphis.  I know it's en vogue amongst Nashvillians to hate on Memphis, but personally, I love Memphis too and want it to thrive, so I hope the NBA stays there.

Also, GO GRIZZ... IN JA WE TRUST!!!!

:D

I'd like Memphis a lot better if I-40 ran straight through it so I could get across the river quicker. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

I'm not familiar with the terms of the Preds's control of the arena, but isn't it possible to schedule NBA and NHL games in the same arena? Why does that have to be a zero/sum scenario? I'm asking out of genuine interest, not to be argumentative. But, it's likely a moot point anyway until a NBA owner wants to move a franchise, I don't think there are any expansions on the horizon. 

Also, I'd like if I-40 went through Titanhog's house, just because :tw_tounge_wink:

• Haha 1

A large part of the revenue stream for ownership of a major league sports team is major control over the arena they play in and the Preds ownership has that kind of control, so I understand. They make big bucks I'm sure over scheduling events in one of the world's 10 busiest arenas. The only way an NBA team could play in the arena is if the Preds owned them.

BTW, the New Jersey Devils and Nets came very close to moving to Nashville 20+ years ago. Also, the Spurs (many, many years ago) and  either the Timberwolves or the  Hornets looked closely at Nashville for a home.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

I'm not familiar with the terms of the Preds's control of the arena, but isn't it possible to schedule NBA and NHL games in the same arena? Why does that have to be a zero/sum scenario? I'm asking out of genuine interest, not to be argumentative. But, it's likely a moot point anyway until a NBA owner wants to move a franchise, I don't think there are any expansions on the horizon. 

Also, I'd like if I-40 went through Titanhog's house, just because :tw_tounge_wink:

You don't have to be an ass.  I think most people wish I-40 could go straight through Memphis instead of having to go all the way around.  I understand why it was done that way...to preserve historic parts of Memphis...which is better than what we did in Nashville.

Again...thanks for being an ass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

Advocating for the destruction and displacement of humans is not funny.

The animosity towards Memphis for some people here is that it is numerously populated and controlled by a certain group. That's why disparaging posts about it are never removed. The emotion towards it versus other cities is fascinating to observe and quite noticeable.

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

I'd like Memphis a lot better if I-40 ran straight through it so I could get across the river quicker. :D

I think it's better than a city like charlotte which is beige and boring.

Edited by JoeyX

I didn't realize my statement of preferring an NBA team would spark a mini-feud between some members.  I understand why Memphis was mentioned, but  I for one don't desire nor want Memphis to lose the Grizzlies "if" Nashville ever gets an NBA franchise.  If for no other reason, you guys proved the rivalry would be heated.  I don't think an NBA franchise in Nashville would take away from the Grizzlies.   While the Grizzlies could lose some revenue from a decrease in sales of paraphernalia in Nashville, would that be that a significant loss?

Also, there eleven arenas that have both NBA and NHL teams .  One has two NBA teams and  an NHL team (Staples Center).

1. American Airlines Center (Dallas) - Mavericks and Stars
  2. Barclays Center (Brooklyn) - Nets and Islanders
  3. Capital One Arena (Washington) - Wizards and Capitals
  4. Little Caesars Arena (Detroit) - Pistons and Red Wings
  5. Madison Square Garden (New York) - Knicks and Rangers
  6. Pepsi Center (Denver) - Nuggets and Avalanche
  7. Scotiabank Arena (Toronto) - Raptors and Maple Leafs
  8. Staples Center (Los Angeles) - Clippers, Lakers and Kings
  9. TD Garden (Boston) - Celtics and Bruins
  10. United Center (Chicago) - Bulls and Blackhawks
  11. Wells Fargo Center(Philadelphia) - 76ers and Flyers
  • Like 1

Nashville will not get an NBA franchise unless someone builds a second arena. Having both the NBA and NHL playing in the same arena during the same monthly timeframe would mean the loss of other events at the current arena.

Edited by JoeyX

1 minute ago, JoeyX said:

Nashville will not get an NBA franchise unless someone builds a second arena. Having both the NBA and NHL playing in the same arena during the same monthly timeframe would mean the loss of other events at the current arena.

Staples Center in LA does fine with two NBA teams and a NHL team plus concerts. 

39 minutes ago, JoeyX said:

How do you know they aren't losing out on concert dates to the Forum in Inglewood or some other large arena?

Nashville only has one large indoor venue capable of hosting 17,500 people.

fair point, but 365 days per year minus 41 regular season home games minus +/- 6 playoff games - 10 days for SEC men's tournament = 308 days remaining for concerts. In my opinion you can add in a NBA franchise and still have enough time for concerts.  

Unless the Predators were to become a major part of an NBA ownership group for a team at Bridgestone, it simply won't happen.   There were rumors circulating at one point about 4 years ago that Southwest Value Partners was pondering building an arena as part of the Nashville Yards complex, with the idea of luring  an NBA franchise as part of the concept.  That faded pretty quickly.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Unless the Predators were to become a major part of an NBA ownership group for a team at Bridgestone, it simply won't happen.   There were rumors circulating at one point about 4 years ago that Southwest Value Partners was pondering building an arena as part of the Nashville Yards complex, with the idea of luring  an NBA franchise as part of the concept.  That faded pretty quickly.  

I always thought a Major League Soccer stadium as part of Nashville Yards would have been incredible... a boy can dream. 

10 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think is has to do with what they consider markets. I am not familiar with all of this, but a team in Nashville would take fans from Memphis and Memphis needs a successful pro team, and should not have to compete with Nashville again. We need for Memphis to be a second successful large city for the state and do everything possible to see that Memphis succeeds rather to hope for failure.

I use to think that way, but you have to look at the big picture. You really want the entire state to be healthy, not just a part of it.

Exactly. Middle Tennessee has been booming, East Tennessee has been growing steadily but West Tennessee is actually slightly losing population. Memphis is holding steady and perhaps slightly gaining population but the Weststate as a whole is lagging behind.

As a former Memphis resident and all around cheerleader for the city it leaves me very concerned.

• Like 2

If I remember right almost twenty years ago around 2001, 2002 or 2003 when the Grizzlies were looking to move it was between Nashville, Louisville and Memphis.  If I remember right there first choice was Nashville but since Nashville gave complete control of the arena to the Preds so they (the Preds) had to agree to it as well.  The Preds did not want to share the arena and a fan base to a sport that plays its seasons at the same time frame they play there season so they stopped them from coming to Nashville.  As for the Grizzlies, did anyone here really stop rooting for the team they've pull for before and become a Grizzlies fan?  I'm still a Celtics fan and could care less about the Grizzlies, probably still would had they moved to Nashville other than I'd might have a second favorite team.

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

If I remember right almost twenty years ago around 2001, 2002 or 2003 when the Grizzlies were looking to move it was between Nashville, Louisville and Memphis.  If I remember right there first choice was Nashville but since Nashville gave complete control of the arena to the Preds so they (the Preds) had to agree to it as well.  The Preds did not want to share the arena and a fan base to a sport that plays its seasons at the same time frame they play there season so they stopped them from coming to Nashville.  As for the Grizzlies, did anyone here really stop rooting for the team they've pull for before and become a Grizzlies fan?  I'm still a Celtics fan and could care less about the Grizzlies, probably still would had they moved to Nashville other than I'd might have a second favorite team.

Where did you hear that from? That the NBA was going to move to a place where there was already an NHL team that had control over the arena. Also the only teams that have both NBA and NHL teams are teams that have NFL and MLB teams. Nashville only had two teams at that time.

Edited by JoeyX

^^^That is what the news was reporting at the time.  Also back then no one thought hockey was working nor was it going to in Nashville so they probably thought the Preds were on there way out.  That's my guess anyways, I hear what you are saying but actually the first two cities mentioned for the Grizzlies was Nashville and Louisville with Memphis coming later out of the blue.  I think Memphis was the better choice for the same reason you mentioned and Memphis has always been more of a basketball city than Nashville.  I think (could be wrong) Memphis probably produces the most instate basketball talent in TN.

Edited by L'burgnative