Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nice feature in the New York Times about the MLB group in Nashville:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/sports/baseball/mlb-expansion-nashville.html?referringSource=articleShare

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 10.14.36 AM.png

But goodgawd, that's a horrible drawing. Hope that's not anything official by the MLB group. Is that supposed to be a Confederate soldier at bat? What's that hideous fungus around his mouth? Oy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

But goodgawd, that's a horrible drawing. Hope that's not anything official by the MLB group. Is that supposed to be a Confederate soldier at bat? What's that hideous fungus around his mouth? Oy!

That's exactly what I thought.  Looks like a danged confederate soldier.  WTH?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Awwww... New Yorkers are so dumb. That's what they think everyone in the South looks like. Dumb! We can laugh at them too because of their mayor. Bless their hearts! 

True, although if we were to have a contest over which city has the worst mayor, I'm not really sure which city would win.

At any rate, this article really makes it sound like there's some teeth to this effort to bring MLB to Nashville and that it's not just some scheme by John Loar to fleece the city. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

People are done with sports. Bringing in politics has cost the leagues fans and viewers. You can forget about MLB and NBA coming here. Few people here will support those ingrates. The leagues are going to be struggling to get back the fans and viewers they've lost for years or decades to come. Forget about expansion.

Edited by JoeyX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2020/08/03/summers-most-watched-network-is-fox-news-channel/#7cee3e4f101a

Well we know which shows @JoeyX has been watching. 

Seems like PLENTY of people are watching these so called "ingrates". 

ANYWAYS.

The article above about the triple A team and how and MLB team can't be in the same city seem like a pretty large barrier to getting an MLB team here. 

Maybe the MLB team can convince Vandy baseball to buy First Tennessee Park and play there, and the triple A team can move on down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JoeyX said:

People aren't watching the ingrates. You can protest that all you want.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/television-ratings-mlb-nba

Oops.

"ESPN saw a record audience for the first game back last Thursday: according to The Los Angeles Times, the match-up between the New York Yankees and the defending World Series champion Washington Nationals averaged 4.075 million viewers, the highest for a regular-season game since 2011. Meanwhile, the Giants-Dodgers game that night was ESPN’s highest-rated late-night regular season game ever, averaging 2.76 million viewers....

The NBA, meanwhile, returned on July 30th with a doubleheader that saw strong numbers for TNT. The opener for the season restart between the Utah Jazz and the New Orleans Pelicans saw an average of 2.1 million viewers tune in to see the Jazz pull out the final possession victory. The main event on the evening between the Lakers and Clippers garnered even more viewers, peaking at 4.1 million viewers from 9:45 to 10:45 that evening; as a whole, the game averaged 3.4 million viewers."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/television-ratings-mlb-nba

Oops.

"ESPN saw a record audience for the first game back last Thursday: according to The Los Angeles Times, the match-up between the New York Yankees and the defending World Series champion Washington Nationals averaged 4.075 million viewers, the highest for a regular-season game since 2011. Meanwhile, the Giants-Dodgers game that night was ESPN’s highest-rated late-night regular season game ever, averaging 2.76 million viewers....

The NBA, meanwhile, returned on July 30th with a doubleheader that saw strong numbers for TNT. The opener for the season restart between the Utah Jazz and the New Orleans Pelicans saw an average of 2.1 million viewers tune in to see the Jazz pull out the final possession victory. The main event on the evening between the Lakers and Clippers garnered even more viewers, peaking at 4.1 million viewers from 9:45 to 10:45 that evening; as a whole, the game averaged 3.4 million viewers."

That was the first day.  TV viewership dropped after that.

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-nba-ratings-crash-why-are-nba-and-mlb-ratings-at-an-all-time-low-after-black-lives-matter-protests/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

That's a fair point, but ratings should be expected to regress to the mean a bit after the first day.  Ratings are still above what they typically are for the regular season for the NBA (I can't really speak to baseball because I'm not really a baseball fan anyway) and that's with a way higher percentage than usual of games being aired in the middle of the workday as opposed to in the evening due to the tightened schedule, and all games being played in the Eastern  Standard Time Zone.  Anyway, the point is, the assertion that "people aren't watching the ingrates" is false. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

Can anyone confirm the legal Language regarding “territory” with respect to major league teams and minor league teams, and the Nashville Stars having to “buy out” the Sounds?

I believe all potential expansion cities (except Montreal maybe) have a minor league team. 

Edited by nashvylle

Well, I am sort of with the minority here. I don't give a rats behind for myself if another sports team comes here or not. It would  be good for the city, but as long as it is not on the back of the taxpayers. I think that is what most people are tired of. 

When you support big money bringing in a sports team these days, then I am now of the opinion they should take all the risk. They need to find a sight and a business plan that works, pay for the infrastructure like any other business that would go there, and if there are TIF funds available then they can apply like any other business. The days of treating these deep pocketed big boys with kid gloves I think is over. Cities are tired and many are now in bad financial shape thanks to COVID. Some of these major league sports may be in big financial trouble after this year if COVID continues to cause havoc with their games and players.

They need to pay the going rate for the land and not take a park that people use on a daily basis or at least did before the pandemic. Time for big league sports to pay their way or die on the vine. I could live my life for a 1000 years and never see a sports game and I would be just fine, but I know a lot of you cant seem to survive without a daily sports fix. That is your drug.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Well, I am sort of with the minority here. I don't give a rats behind for myself if another sports team comes here or not. It would  be good for the city, but as long as it is not on the back of the taxpayers. I think that is what most people are tired of. 

When you support big money bringing in a sports team these days, then I am now of the opinion they should take all the risk. They need to find a sight and a business plan that works, pay for the infrastructure like any other business that would go there, and if there are TIF funds available then they can apply like any other business. The days of treating these deep pocketed big boys with kid gloves I think is over. Cities are tired and many are now in bad financial shape thanks to COVID. Some of these major league sports may be in big financial trouble after this year if COVID continues to cause havoc with their games and players.

They need to pay the going rate for the land and not take a park that people use on a daily basis or at least did before the pandemic. Time for big league sports to pay their way or die on the vine. I could live my life for a 1000 years and never see a sports game and I would be just fine, but I know a lot of you cant seem to survive without a daily sports fix. That is your drug.

It beats moaning and groaning about a building everyday of the year. At least sports fans take a few breaks during the offseason.

46 minutes ago, shanky said:

I've spent all of 10 minutes inside first Tennessee park so I'm not knowledgeable at all about the place, but is there any reason why it couldn't be expanded to MLB?

The footprint is too small for a build out to 35,000 seats.  Some other structures would have to be torn down, Jackson Street rerouted, etc.

Maybe I haven't seen on this board or in media reports, but two things:

1. The smallest (in terms of MSA populations) U.S. city with four of the big five (NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and NHL) is Denver with about 3 million people. The Nashville MSA is 2 million and we have three of the big five. Do we have the population so support a fourth? Relatively speaking, no city in U.S. history has  ever had such a disproportionate number of franchises related to its overall population. Is Nashville "that special" so as to be the exception that can successfully be the first do do so? I don't think so.

2. And related to the first question: If we got MLB, could that hurt corporate support for all four? There are only so many corporate dollars to go around to three pro franchises, much less four.

The question is not do we want MLB? I like baseball (big Cubs fan) and would like to have a franchise in the.  But at this point in our city's evolution? I'm not so sure. Seems potentially harmful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

The footprint is too small for a build out to 35,000 seats.  Some other structures would have to be torn down, Jackson Street rerouted, etc.

I also think we would need the state's help relocating their tech center adjacent to Bicentennial Mall.

15 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

Maybe I haven't seen on this board or in media reports, but two things:

1. The smallest (in terms of MSA populations) U.S. city with four of the big five (NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and NHL) is Denver with about 3 million people. The Nashville MSA is 2 million and we have three of the big five.

Denver has all 5. Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Rapids, Avalanche.