Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

16 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

Maybe I haven't seen on this board or in media reports, but two things:

1. The smallest (in terms of MSA populations) U.S. city with four of the big five (NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS and NHL) is Denver with about 3 million people. The Nashville MSA is 2 million and we have three of the big five. Do we have the population so support a fourth? Relatively speaking, no city in U.S. history has  ever had such a disproportionate number of franchises related to its overall population. Is Nashville "that special" so as to be the exception that can successfully be the first do do so? I don't think so.

2. And related to the first question: If we got MLB, could that hurt corporate support for all four? There are only so many corporate dollars to go around to three pro franchises, much less four.

The question is not do we want MLB? I like baseball (big Cubs fan) and would like to have a franchise in the.  But at this point in our city's evolution? I'm not so sure. Seems potentially harmful.

Detroit was the closest, which was able to support the NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB  when its MSA had less than 3 million people.

That said, unlike Nashville, Detroit was home to 3 of the largest and fastest growing corporations in the world at the time too. A good corporate presence is also critical for sponsorship purposes and having a fan base with enough disposable income to support so many teams.

With that being said, an argument could be made that Charlotte would be a more likely candidate for a MLB team than Nashville.

Edited by urbanplanet17

• 1 month later...

Ya'll are cute.  A-Rod AND J-Lo can't get a team, but JT can?  And Nashville can? Lulz.

As I've said in the Charlotte speculation thread: MLB doesn't wanna be in half a dozen markets it's currently in; it sure as hell isn't gonna decamp from KC, Cleveland, Cincy,  Oakland,  Miami,  or South Side for the 36th largest metro area in the country, which already has two major league franchises.

Charlotte will have more than 3 million people in 2030 and STILL won't have MLB.  Portland will have 2.7mm people in 2030 and STILL won't have MLB.  Nashville might have 2.3mm people in 2030 and STILL won't have MLB in 2050.

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Ya'll are cute.  A-Rod AND J-Lo can't get a team, but JT can?  And Nashville can? Lulz.

As I've said in the Charlotte speculation thread: MLB doesn't wanna be in half a dozen markets it's currently in; it sure as hell isn't gonna decamp from KC, Cleveland, Cincy,  Oakland,  Miami,  or South Side for the 36th largest metro area in the country, which already has two major league franchises.

Charlotte will have more than 3 million people in 2030 and STILL won't have MLB.  Portland will have 2.7mm people in 2030 and STILL won't have MLB.  Nashville might have 2.3mm people in 2030 and STILL won't have MLB in 2050.

Guess we'll see.  And yes...we ARE cute. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

JT is a minority investor. Not lead. 

you're cute too!

Edited by nashvylle

27 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

“Ya’ll are cute”?  “Gonna”?

Do you want anyone to take you seriously? 

He's right though. This stadium will have to be privately funded and there is no  one involved currently who  has the capital to even begin this. Plus his demographic comments are dead on. MLB is shrinking  and the Nashville Metro area will not generate enough local tv money to make this team competitive.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, samsonh said:

He's right though. This stadium will have to be privately funded and there is no  one involved currently who  has the capital to even begin this. Plus his demographic comments are dead on. MLB is shrinking  and the Nashville Metro area will not generate enough local tv money to make this team competitive.  

TV contracts and ownership are most important for a league to be successful, I agree. But I still do not know why MLS did not award Detroit or Phoenix a MLS team, given they demographics they have over Nashville, Charlotte, St. Louis, Sacramento. So who knows. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

My response was in regard to the snark and arrogance and the (pet peeve) use of lingo like "gonna" "ima" etc., which would immediately result in a reprimand in our firm if used in an email, memo, etc.  As our managing partner mentioned once when an intern (a male second-year LS student) actually typed 'gonna' in a memo, "Did we hire a twelve year old girl to write this?" 

I don't think anyone would argue against the points made, although Nashville's projected population growth has been vastly undercounted over the past four decades.  It will grow by closer to 500k over the next decade as it's recently hit a 'sweet spot', which is recognized by people who study population growth in Sunbelt urban areas. There are two points like that among second-tier cities... a labor market of 1M and a MSA population of 2M. At some point, it's likely that Clarksville will be added to the MSA, which alone will add a quarter million more people. Nobody here is arguing Charlotte's size vis-a-vis the other cities both with MLB and seeking a team. But as noted above, it's about more than just population. If that alone were the key, Austin would be getting one without a challenge from any other city among its so-called peers (even with two other MLB teams), which it's pretty much leaving in the dust. That brings us to a key point, which is where a new market may cannibalize existing markets. To wit: The Braves would not want to give up South Carolina as a prime market without a huge fight.  Nobody would argue against the well-publicized fact that MLB is also wanting to shrink (at least NO MORE EXPANSION teams), but that doesn't rule out the real possibility that existing teams would move to new markets. Several of those teams were listed above. News Flash! Money Talks VERY LOUDLY among pro team owners, and Nashville will have no problem finding big financial backers from entertainment. I understood that Lopez and Rodriguez couldn't find a partner to raise in excess of a billion dollars, not that MLB wouldn't sell to them. Plus, they were trying to buy a NY team on top of that. No doubt, aside from population Nashville is widely considered the most appealing market (due to demographics, age, racial composition, wealth, tourism) among its peers for MLB. One of those keys is the aforementioned problem of new teams cannibalizing existing markets. Only two contiguous states to Tennessee have MLB teams, and Nashville is much more of a Reds market than it is for the Braves.  

That said, I actually think Nashville is not yet ready (in size and market appeal)  and yes, MLB needs to decide if they're going to go into contraction or actually reassign teams to different markets. There are already enough pro teams for the city to digest.  As noted above, Nashville will not give any more handouts to a team, and MLB would never move to Nashville and set up in a suburban area. They would want to be downtown. I also have no doubt that Nashville will be ready by 2030, and apparently these high powered principals (there will be others too) think there's a good chance of it too. More power to them however, and if they ever do get a MLB team, it will have been helped tremendously by serious efforts like this one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

TV contracts and ownership are most important for a league to be successful, I agree. But I still do not know why MLS did not award Detroit or Phoenix a MLS team, given they demographics they have over Nashville, Charlotte, St. Louis, Sacramento. So who knows. 

I think MLS was Seduced by David Tepper being a Billionare Owner of one of their Francises.  Add in the other positives from Charlotte and we have a winner.  CLT always tends to have outsized benefits from its Corporate presence as well.  

On 8/5/2020 at 5:10 PM, e-dub said:

Even though I MUCH prefer the NL game, I think an AL team here would be the better "for business".

Why would AL be better for business than NL?

5 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I think MLS was Seduced by David Tepper being a Billionare Owner of one of their Francises.  Add in the other positives from Charlotte and we have a winner.  CLT always tends to have outsized benefits from its Corporate presence as well.  

Exactly. If Nashville gets a David Tepper like owner (IE a Frist), the demographics become second. 

1 minute ago, nashvylle said:

Exactly. If Nashville gets a David Tepper like owner (IE a Frist), the demographics become second. 

I agree with you on the face of that.  Only difference is that MLS is aggressively expanding and has a Rosey growth outlook over the next Decade.  MLB is having a hard time so Nashville and Charlotte’s only hope is if a Team Relocates.

Nashville definitely has a head start since no one (meaning ownership group) in Charlotte is even speaking about an MLB Team.  For some reason though I keep reading articles about Charlotte being on a short list of cities.  Unless Tepper and/or Bruton Smith do something I think MLB in CLT will be a pie in the sky thought.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I agree with you on the face of that.  Only difference is that MLS is aggressively expanding and has a Rosey growth outlook over the next Decade.  MLB is having a hard time so Nashville and Charlotte’s only hope is if a Team Relocates.

Nashville definitely has a head start since no one (meaning ownership group) in Charlotte is even speaking about an MLB Team.  For some reason though I keep reading articles about Charlotte being on a short list of cities.  Unless Tepper and/or Bruton Smith do something I think MLB in CLT will be a pie in the sky thought.

Right, good point. And MLB2Nashville says their goal to bring MLB is via either expansion or relocation. 

No one seemed to give neither Nashville nor Charlotte a chance for MLS until Ingram / Tepper came along. 

JT is momentum, definitely not the lead investor needed. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Why would AL be better for business than NL?

I'm thinking when the Yankees and Red Sox come to visit, those would be guaranteed sellouts. I think the Tigers would sell very well, here, too. I also think that Nashville being so far away from any existing AL team would probably drive ticket sales.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Guess we'll see.  And yes...we ARE cute. 

I'm not.... but I am skeptical of Nashville's ability to support MLB at this point. Maybe in 20 years but not now. 

Up here the Reds were hurtin' with empty seats....I think the Sounds probably had more fans in the seats than the Reds for some of their homegames.

So it's hard for me to see MLB expanding. I could be wrong though, Nashville is such a destination city pre covid that if it got back to 2019 levels and then blew past it that could be a factor going forward.

You know NOTHING! But I appreciate that we all have gotten under your skin. So to speak... or maybe in the language you understand, we're gonna 'buse you... figuratively, of course.  You can look ahead in your senior HS text books to see what that means. Here's another freebie... never argue with a lawyer unless you know how s/he might respond. Now... um, wiggum... please wiggle away. You're really detracting from the value of these fora. 

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

I know you have dunning kruger.  I know you probably got a job because of daddy.  I know that if I say the word "sinecure" you're not gonna know the meaning without google, and that you think American Psycho is a patriot story.  I'll "run along," a-ok, but, wow, you're in a bulge bracket or white shoe place? I think no.

Cue up Twilight Zone theme. 

Edited by MLBrumby

• 1 month later...