Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

On 10/21/2020 at 2:13 AM, subkyle said:

I really respect what the Governor is saying there. I think the MLB needs to hear us/feel us wanting them here. I do wander a bit too if he wouldn’t be opposed to helping with $$ to lure them here. 

That would probably not sit well with a good number of folks, both in/out of his own party.

Personally, hell no. Find a way to finance it 100% yourself or go somewhere else. Pro sports teams that are worth billions need to stop asking for state/county/municipal handouts. *looks at Texas Rangers & Atlanta Braves as examples*

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

That would probably not sit well with a good number of folks, both in/out of his own party.

Personally, hell no. Find a way to finance it 100% yourself or go somewhere else. Pro sports teams that are worth billions need to stop asking for state/county/municipal handouts. *looks at Texas Rangers & Atlanta Braves as examples*

I don’t disagree with your assessment, but I do think there is a time and place for local governments to help lure entities that can help the local community in one way or another. Were you ok with giving Bridgestone, Amazon and the Nashville Predators big tax breaks to have them here? I’m not sure that a MLB team will help the city like some of these entities, but it’s worthy of consideration I think. I think the Preds and Titans are worth everything they got, just not sure about baseball 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, subkyle said:

I don’t disagree with your assessment, but I do think there is a time and place for local governments to help lure entities that can help the local community in one way or another. Were you ok with giving Bridgestone, Amazon and the Nashville Predators big tax breaks to have them here? I’m not sure that a MLB team will help the city like some of these entities, but it’s worthy of consideration I think. I think the Preds and Titans are worth everything they got, just not sure about baseball 

Certain cases, such as the Predators is a double score with a venue that is one of the most successful for concerts/shows, obviously prior to Covid. We got a NHL team and a year-round utilized venue, that pays big dividends, unlike a MLB ballpark. 

MLB is proven to be pretty top heavy with successful franchises versus the rest and most ballparks sit empty for half the year and aren't used for anything outside of a rare major concert or other event, such as Busch Stadium in St. Louis with int'l soccer matches. Sure, it garners attention and potentially more tax dollars, but I just don't see it being fiscally worthwhile, and especially not wise now, to throw $ at big professional sports entities. 

Companies on the other hand, it's a tricky endeavor, but I think with how many cities have been chopped at the knees with revenue cratering and companies realigning strategies during and post-COVID, it'd be difficult to swing. Bridgestone was worth it keeping them within Davidson County versus fleeing to that bland & boring suburban utopia of Williamson County. Also, with Amazon, it's clear that the benefits with them will certainly pay off, particularly if they're forced to divest being labeled a monopoly. That could be a huge win for Nashville. 

Again, NHL & NFL are different from MLB in what they truly do bring to the table. 

2 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

How do the Braves do, isn't there stadium like 20 minutes outside of downtown now?

Atlanta is a completely different city (IE their downtown core is not a tourist draw like ours) and their stadium deal is heavily favored to the team owners (and not taxpayers). I am t wasnot sure how their stadium does with attendance, but the stadium was built in the suburbs due to season ticket holders' safety concerns (from what I have read, but be wrong). 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said before. I'd be willing to come up an hour and a half for multiple games a year in Nashville as opposed to driving three and a half hours for a team I hate worse than the freaking Yankee's in Atlanta!  The South is under severed with MLB.  If the Brave's want to cock block Charlotte or Nashville from getting an MLB team then they can kiss my rear end even more, it's shining and out there.  THEY ARE NOT MY REGIONAL TEAM and  I HATE the brave's almost as much as this Bama fan hates UT football (I Hate UT more than Alabama Poly Tech Institute because Y'all are worth hating more than the freaking barn (auburn) and they aren't worth crap to cf history like they think they are).  The two must cities deserving of MLB is Charlotte and Nashville because for the reason I said above, south is under served and Atlanta doesn't own our markets.  In the South you have brave's, Ray's and the Marlins, if you want to count Texas than Astro's and Rangers too and that's it!  If Nashville could ever pull the A's out of Oakland I'd be done with my beloved Detroit Tigers.  An expansion team or the Ray's I still remain a Tiger fan but still good for multiple games a year and routing for Nashville when they're not playing Detroit.  Other than college football or SEC football in person there is nothing like MLB to go to a game in person!  NFL sucks! NCAA basketball sucks! NBA basketball, wish to see a Celtics game in the Garden one day.  NHL I don't get it like soccer but looks fun to see unlike soccer but wish NSC all the best! I'm not against MLS and was rooting for MLS to Nashville, it's just it's as boring  or sleep worthy as PGA...

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 3

^^^ Yeah I rambled but the jest of it is I hate the Brave's, they're not the local team like they think they are.  People talking here that MLB is boring and I completely disagree with that.  And if you are a UT fan I paid y'all a complement saying I hate UT more then Alabama Poly Tech aka auburn while describing how bad I hate the brave's.  To your question yes I'm for MLB to Nashville.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, titanhog said:

So…am I correct in assuming the reason we’re getting so much interest from some high-level people is that this may be their only chance to get in on the ground floor of an MLB team as partial owners?

It's very rare to be sure. Nashville has proven itself to be a very good midsize pro-team market.  To borrow an analogy from another sport, Nash punches above its weight. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, titanhog said:

So…am I correct in assuming the reason we’re getting so much interest from some high-level people is that this may be their only chance to get in on the ground floor of an MLB team as partial owners?

That is part of the equation for sure.  If MLB expands, it will be 2 more teams making for 16 in each league.  That is a sweet spot as far as scheduling, etc. goes.  Going to 33 teams and up causes all kinds of issues.  So, there are realistically only 2 slots available for investors to get on the ground floor looking ahead several decades. 

• Like 3