Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

I can't read the whole article (sorry don't have the funds to subscribe), but not everyone appears no board with MLB here.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/while-a-nice-thought-a-nashville-mlb-team-isn-t-realistic/article_40109808-b2ce-11eb-8bf7-cfea74613183.html

I think this is the key!

While the appetite for professional baseball in Nashville certainly exists, and a local group has been fundraising for a few years trying to catch the eye of Major League Baseball, it just doesn’t seem feasible for Nashville to be awarded an MLB team under the current circumstances.

There’s an estimated $2.2 billion expansion fee that would need to be paid, then MLB would have to work out regional television contracts with Cincinnati, St. Louis and Atlanta, as creating a new Nashville market would cut into revenue streams for all three teams.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think this is the key!

While the appetite for professional baseball in Nashville certainly exists, and a local group has been fundraising for a few years trying to catch the eye of Major League Baseball, it just doesn’t seem feasible for Nashville to be awarded an MLB team under the current circumstances.

There’s an estimated $2.2 billion expansion fee that would need to be paid, then MLB would have to work out regional television contracts with Cincinnati, St. Louis and Atlanta, as creating a new Nashville market would cut into revenue streams for all three teams.

A very good point to keep in mind, but these are not challenges unique to Nashville to be fair. Any expansion or relocated franchises will face similar hurdles, and when looking at a league map, Nashville is one of the most isolated areas in terms of nearby teams because we're roughly triangulated by St. Louis, Atlanta, and Cincinnati.

5 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

Saw this today...

FB_IMG_1620846022520.jpg.05fb2f3f3cb756df41f586a0f1f775bf.jpg

I would be more than happy to share the love and let Louisville get a team personally, it would make a lot of sense after all. Unfortunately, it's likely hurt a lot by it's proximity to Cincinnati and relatively smaller market in comparison to other candidates. 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 1

Ok…one more stab at the current Sounds park location as a “last resort” spot for an MLB stadium if all of the east bank potential sites fall through.

If they were able to take back that entire block and start over (money talks)…is there a configuration on that lot that would work (everything inside yellow block)?

sounds stadium.jpg

2 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

I dont see how they could tear down brand new residential property.

or a 1,000 space, multi-level parking garage. 

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Ok…one more stab at the current Sounds park location as a “last resort” spot for an MLB stadium if all of the east bank potential sites fall through.

If they were able to take back that entire block and start over (money talks)…is there a configuration on that lot that would work (everything inside yellow block)?

I think a better option would be to relocate to the state 1-story building to the left of FHP, and combine that parcel with FHP land. IF that were to happen, 5th Ave / John Lewis Way would have to be cut off. 

I don’t think it will happen…but I’m just asking is there enough room there with that entire area in the yellow box to build an MLB stadium?  Yes…it would take a ton of money to buy out the new buildings that were built there…but…would it be worth it to stay in downtown if they can’t find anyplace else?

3 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I don’t think it will happen…but I’m just asking is there enough room there with that entire area in the yellow box to build an MLB stadium?  Yes…it would take a ton of money to buy out the new buildings that were built there…but…would it be worth it to stay in downtown if they can’t find anyplace else?

I would give anything for this to be downtown.  I absolutely love that I can walk to Preds, Titans and NSC (for now) games after grabbing a beer on Broadway.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheRaglander said:

I would give anything for this to be downtown.  I absolutely love that I can walk to Preds, Titans and NSC (for now) games after grabbing a beer on Broadway.  

Of course, the best place would be near the Titans’ stadium…but doesn’t look like that will happen (if we get a team).

If accurate, this article seems to indicate the Ray's ownership is using Nashville's interest (& other cities) purely as leverage; in a negotiation ploy with the mayors of TB and St. Pete. The mayor of St. Pete isn't biting, but the mayor of TB is apparently still on the hook. I guess we'll see.

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/rays-relocate-nashville-stadium-situation/579570

• Like 3

8 hours ago, samsonh said:

Further point on this: after reading Tennessean article it is quite clear MLB to Nashville group is expecting city to front a large portion of stadium costs. A non starter imo.

Is there a link to the article where the MLB group is stating or indicating they want the city to "front a large portion of stadium costs"?

Edited by Licec

Seems clear to me that Sternberg, Auld and Amador haven't talked with anyone in Nashville.  Jockeying for the public funds to build their big sandbox in Ybor City. Tampa's mayor is engaged.  Despite the lawsuit, my money's on a new park in Tampa, just not with the $1b price tag.  I do think the 'sister city' arrangement with Montreal is silly, but that's also possibly a part of their negotiating tactics.  The longest of long shots would be an entaglement from the lawsuit brings about a sale of the team and Nashville's group is ready to buy it, but then there's nothing to say they'll decide to keep the team in StP indefinitely. 

Edited by MLBrumby

24 minutes ago, Licec said:

Is there a link to the article where the MLB group is stating or indicating they want the city to "front a large portion of stadium costs"?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2021/05/29/tampa-bay-rays-considering-nashville-relocation-mlb-franchise/5265219001/

This just shows that unless a city is willing to support its team they're probably going to go to a market that will”

in the context of the current Ray’s ownership trying to leverage a new stadium out of the city, this quote can only be read one way.

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Seems clear to me that Sternberg, Auld and Amador haven't talked with anyone in Nashville.  Jockeying for the public funds to build their big sandbox in Ybor City. Tampa's mayor is engaged.  Despite the lawsuit, my money's on a new park in Tampa, just not with the $1b price tag. 

Agreed they will stay in Tampa, but I wonder what a barebones stadium would run these days. I’d guess at least a billion.

42 minutes ago, samsonh said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2021/05/29/tampa-bay-rays-considering-nashville-relocation-mlb-franchise/5265219001/

This just shows that unless a city is willing to support its team they're probably going to go to a market that will”

in the context of the current Ray’s ownership trying to leverage a new stadium out of the city, this quote can only be read one way.

Agreed they will stay in Tampa, but I wonder what a barebones stadium would run these days. I’d guess at least a billion.

That's quite a leap to say they want public funding for a stadium based on that statement alone.

I found this and it stated they would not seek public money to fund a stadium.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2019/10/01/nashville-mlb-team-stars-stadium-renderings/3828450002/

Edited by Licec

1 minute ago, Licec said:

That's quite a leap to say they want public funding for a stadium based on that statement alone.

I found this and it stated that they would not seek public money to fund a stadium.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2019/10/01/nashville-mlb-team-stars-stadium-renderings/3828450002/

Eh agree to disagree. Until this group brings on someone with billions in net worth, they will need public money, and lots of it. 

• Like 1

They may stay in Tampa and they may not. They've been trying to get a new stadium there for at least 15 years to no avail. They may choose to move the Rays to Nashville to take advantage of having the club play in one of the most popular destinations in the country, as well as having ownership of an accompanying world renowned entertainment district.  Thus increasing the value of the team exponentially.

• Like 1