Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

1 hour ago, samsonh said:

Eh agree to disagree. Until this group brings on someone with billions in net worth, they will need public money, and lots of it. 

This city attracts billion dollar developers like peanut brittle crumbs attracts ants. That won't be a problem.

Edited by Licec

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They are mentioning they could put the MLB stadium somewhere on the TSU campus along the river somewhere. Also mentioned was the PSC site and Tennessee Titans President Burke Nihill said the franchise would not oppose a third major-league stadium downtown.  

I think the third is the Soccer stadium but I would not consider that downtown.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

They are mentioning they could put the MLB stadium somewhere on the TSU campus along the river somewhere. Also mentioned was the PSC site and Tennessee Titans President Burke Nihill said the franchise would not oppose a third major-league stadium downtown.  

I think the third is the Soccer stadium but I would not consider that downtown.

Thanks. I think Burke Nihill meant to say third major-league team downtown (Titans, Predators, MLB).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Updated summary article on MLB  to Nashville group at The Tennessean.  Not much new to report other than they want to have a new stadium built and ready by early 2025. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/09/22/what-we-know-mlb-major-league-baseball-team-nashville/5795349001/

This still seems so disorganized. These guys want to build a billion dollar plus stadium somewhere, they have no team yet, they do not have the private funds for said stadium.  The TSU location would be a disaster, the only hope this team would have to be profitable would be to be downtown. And that raises the costs dramatically. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Updated summary article on MLB  to Nashville group at The Tennessean.  Not much new to report other than they want to have a new stadium built and ready by early 2025. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/09/22/what-we-know-mlb-major-league-baseball-team-nashville/5795349001/

Geez, just doing the math and working backwards from early 2025, that's just over 3 years to identify, secure, and establish:

The Team (existing franchise, most likely), Bona fide Ownership, a comprehensive Strategic Biz Plan, Financing, Public/Private Agreements for Stadium, etc., Site Selection and Procurement, Stadium Construction, and so forth.  That timeline feels very tight to me (but I've never done it myself, LOL). Wow.

• Like 1

They have been grasping at straws from the start. No location, no franchise, no funding! It’s all hype and has been from the start.

Sorry to dash hopes, but these are big names with big dreams with little on the business end it seems. They have put the cart in front of the horse from the start. I wish them success as I know it would be good for Nashville, but there does not seem to be a clear person in charge of this  group as a major spokesperson. No momentum building and it would seem now they are trying to get free land from the state. No tax payer dollars indeed! The TSU site would be wrong for Nashville. Not to knock N Nashville, but the pro sports teams need to be close to the core of downtown with everything else.

Seems as if there is a new proposal for a site or some other breaking news trying to keep it in the news every week and they are getting little traction. The time is coming where major investors are going to have to put up or shut up if they are looking at that kind of timeline.

Even with the best case scenario it will take Metro a year to approve it no matter where it goes.

• Like 2

It's... almost.... like.... we.... just... built.... a..... stadium..... (6 years ago)

I get it, First Tennessee Park is small and would need extensive construction to be considered major ready. I wholeheartedly agree with Ron that the team is blowing smoke at this point. Of course they want their own land for a new state-of-the-art stadium, but at what cost? They are willing to spend money on the stadium, but not the land? If money isn't a concern – and if they are speculating about a multi-billion dollar stadium it isn't – spend the money on the existing ballpark and make it work!

I know we've discussed at nauseum how the site plan that they show in the article doesn't work, but that would be one of the biggest fails on the state/metro level to allow even that concept to be presented. Talk abut cutting off the pedestrian bridge from the East Bank!

Given the fact that attendance is down across the MLB , I too think that they can make First Horizon work. There has to be a way to design a state of the art ball park. And location isn’t bad, considering the three auto bridges and a possible second pedestrian bridge to the East bank.with all the new and upcoming building in Germantown there should be enough restaurants and nightclubs to bring into play. And I’m sure that there’s space for a few parking garages ( hopefully with buildings on top). Seems to make sense to use what is at hand, then start all over again 

• Like 3

The farm over on TSU's campus to Acme on Broadway 5.9 miles, 4 miles if you stay off the interstate. 
The Nashville SC stadium to Acme on Broadway is 3.2 miles. 

It didn't seem that much farther, but it's not much of a straight shot and there isn't an ideal way to get over there. 

I think most of that land is in the flood plain too, while not a big deal, but I would think would add a huge cost to the construction. 

At this point, the pie in the sky idea would be to convince Icahn to become a majority owner, build it on PSC, and work out something with the city/state to get property to relocate that operation. Technically it would be a win all around for everyone, but the deal would have so many working pieces, it would be a house of cards, floating on a cloud, built on a wish, haha. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Technically it would be a win all around for everyone, but the deal would have so many working pieces, it would be a house of cards, floating on a cloud, built on a wish, haha. 

You failed to mention that it would be accompanied by the sweet, sweet fragrance  of unicorn farts!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

The farm over on TSU's campus to Acme on Broadway 5.9 miles, 4 miles if you stay off the interstate. 
The Nashville SC stadium to Acme on Broadway is 3.2 miles. 

It didn't seem that much farther, but it's not much of a straight shot and there isn't an ideal way to get over there. 

I think most of that land is in the flood plain too, while not a big deal, but I would think would add a huge cost to the construction. 

At this point, the pie in the sky idea would be to convince Icahn to become a majority owner, build it on PSC, and work out something with the city/state to get property to relocate that operation. Technically it would be a win all around for everyone, but the deal would have so many working pieces, it would be a house of cards, floating on a cloud, built on a wish, haha. 

That was my point as far as location of the MLS stadium as it is just more convenient. Access to the TSU site is not very good. Ed Temple Blvd is really the only good way in and out. You can access through the Nations from Walter E Davis but again a traffic nightmare. I have seen it when the interstate has backed up for one reason or another and folks use that as a short cut to Briley…not pretty or fun.

You need clean access  to hotels, restaurants and parking and I am waiting to see what happens with the MLS stadium to see if that even works or not. I’m not convinced.

• Like 1