Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

Just now, titanhog said:

Even with remediation…it’s going to happen eventually.  Of course, I don’t want it to be at the taxpayer’s expense.  Hopefully some deep-pocketed developers pay for all of that…but who knows?  But it will eventually happen.  That land is too valuable.

100%, whoever finally gets it done is going to make a fortune. 

Unless it's the city, they will spend $100 million to clean it and then sell it for $3 million and 2 pedal taverns. :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

removing contaminated soil is much more expensive 

That’s understandable, and I’m aware of that. My point is , if a developer is fortunate enough to be able to build on such a high profile piece of property as this , then digging out old soils is probably not going to be a deterrent. They more then likely will be looking at underground parking structures anyway. And for any ROI , it’s going to be a massive development to begin with, probably larger then NY and Reed together. This is just to prime of a site to be anything less. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bnacincy said:

Cincy has a minor league team, the Florence "Y'alls" (don't ask, long story on the nickname) in Florence KY

The Y'alls arent Triple A; they're independent league.  They play in Florence Y'all...not far from the Florence Mall...go Red Legs!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

We have seen some massive holes dug around town as of late ( lake Palmer, AEG yards site..etc) wouldn’t any development on this PSC site be digging huge areas for underground parking garages anyway? Just seems logical , that the cost of removing soil contaminated or not would be included in any project anyway. 

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

That’s understandable, and I’m aware of that. My point is , if a developer is fortunate enough to be able to build on such a high profile piece of property as this , then digging out old soils is probably not going to be a deterrent. They more then likely will be looking at underground parking structures anyway. And for any ROI , it’s going to be a massive development to begin with, probably larger then NY and Reed together. This is just to prime of a site to be anything less. 

Just keep in mind that the PSC Metals site is the size of the Gulch South area. think about how many parking garages have been built over there and how much digging we would be talking about. 

That being said, I would hate to see any above grade parking on the East Bank. It'll happen, of course, but I would love if we could set the design guidelines for no at or above grade parking structures.

• Like 3

If the Titans end up building a new domed stadium financed using at least some public money, what impact do you think it will have on a baseball stadium being built?  Considering the fight that's going to take place over a new football stadium I would think the chances of a new baseball stadium are done.

Of course there's always the possibility that baseball stadium gets built  using private money but that never happens.  I  don't think there will be much of an appetite from the public to finance two professional sports stadiums

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shanky said:

If the Titans end up building a new domed stadium financed using at least some public money, what impact do you think it will have on a baseball stadium being built?  Considering the fight that's going to take place over a new football stadium I would think the chances of a new baseball stadium are done.

Of course there's always the possibility that baseball stadium gets built  using private money but that never happens.  I  don't think there will be much of an appetite from the public to finance two professional sports stadiums

We actually discussed this at the last meetup and I think the general consensus is that it would kill the idea of a new stadium - for now. Private money is always an option, but I don't see the ownership group shelling out their own money, just doesn't happen nowadays. The TSU site is interesting in that they may piggy back off state financing a college stadium, but that would be a mistake. Both for the university and for the team. Access to the stadium would be remarkably tough. While the university would get alot of screen time, the MLB would probably want some exclusive rights to the ballpark which could hurt the availability to the university. Plus TSU would probably have trouble filling that stadium so it wouldn't look all that great constantly having a half full stadium.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ I think they might be able to fudge and have the direction where straightaway center would look directly south towards Cumberland Park.  Sunset in spring/summer is to the west/northwest (between Woodland St. Bridge and CSX Train Bridge on the river), so there would be no issues with sunset in batters' eyes if set up this way, especially because the upper level grandstand along the first base line would block the sun in early evening.  With a set-up like this, you could still have decent views of downtown over the right and center field walls. 

Coincidentally, this south-looking orientation is the same as First Horizon Park. 

If it were configured with views of the new football stadium to the east or whatever ends up in the PSC site, it would not be nearly as spectacular--in fact, probably disappointing.  A stadium on the riverfront only makes sense if they views are terrific. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, titanhog said:

Another reason why I wish they could would have known this a few years ago and been able to build this on the land where the Sounds stadium is now….since it was the Negro League ballpark site.  However…would be wonderful if this was the first majority minority owned team.  Gotta believe there are many African American women and men willing to come on board.

Unfortunately,  still lacking a billionaire.  Until this group gets a true billionaire as the majority owner (all the more true with the low likelihood of government money for a MLB stadium),  this thing ain't happening.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Dave Stewart, who played in the MLB for 16 years, won the World Series three times, was named World Series MVP once, and who has pursued owning other MLB teams, has been brought on to lead Nashville's Diverse Equity Ownership initiative where they hope Nashville's MLB team will be the first majority minority owned team in the league.

"We started this process four years ago. Nashville is a fast-growing city. It has a beautiful population of people," he said. "There's so much going on here. So, MLB put Nashville as one of its top places for expansion, and I think that triggered the idea to go down this path."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033192-dave-stewart-leading-nashville-group-prioritizing-mlb-ownership-for-people-of-color

This is a shortened version of the ESPN article... Group led by Dave Stewart preparing bid for potential MLB expansion team in Nashville (espn.com)

Would like to see some affordable housing in their proposal, if it ever goes forward.  

I saw where Oakland's attendance the other night was a little over 3,000.  Wow.  Isn't that one of the teams that want to relocate?  If a team re-locates, could their current ownership possibly work with this ownership to bring baseball to Nashville?  That would be enough monetary resources, right?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

I saw where Oakland's attendance the other night was a little over 3,000.  Wow.  Isn't that one of the teams that want to relocate?  If a team re-locates, could their current ownership possibly work with this ownership to bring baseball to Nashville?  That would be enough monetary resources, right?

There still will have to be incentives. These owners always come with their hands held out and not bearing gifts.

34 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Oakland will most likely relocate to Las Vegas. The A's ownership has mention Las Vegas several times. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 8:22 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, Party Pooper, but again no site, no big money, no team, no news! They are trying to stay in the news to stay relevant. The group comes out with a semi-minor announcement every month or so to keep them in the news, like this one so some people can say WOW!  This is not a major announcement. I have watched this BS for two years now and it is the same ole same ole. They know like we all do it will be important for the team to be closer in than to be farther out. They need the support of Metro, the State, & Local business to make this happen. At this point in the game, there has been little or no attention from any major corporation or government official to help make this happen. 

The MLB has not come right out and said Nashville is our next expansion city. Just rumors and talk. In a city like Nashville, you want that site to be close to the action. Close to the bars, the CC, the river, the hotels, and they know this. 

Until they make a major move like secure a stadium site that is viable or bring on a multi-billionaire, then I will not take them seriously. I have talked to others that whole heartily agree with this point of view. At this point, they are blowing smoke up our tail pipes.

Yeah, agreed, unfortunately.

The "keeping relevant" and "in the news" with this group seems to be the objective right now. But there's no real substance behind this--with money or stadium or team.

So, pure speculative hopes, at this point. Maybe it will happen eventually, maybe not. 

I feel like the Tampa Bay team is a good bet for Nashville to lure. But until someone with deep pockets comes in, and a team is identified, nothing is happening with this. 

• Like 1