Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The other catch here too is if they want a whole new mixed use community surrounding the Ballpark, with entertainment and such, folks need to be within spitting distance of the other attractions. It will be hard to fill office space there, and it is already hard to keep restaurants on that side of town for various reasons. A lot of it has to do with spending power. When there is no game there will be no customers. Unfortunately there are racial aspects that are involved. I have to say that and the big boy companies including grocery stores, chain restaurants factor these things in. That is why there are food deserts, restaurant deserts so to speak with nothing healthy, just fast food.

I hate to bring that issue up as I try not to be racist, but these big companies are, even if they say they are not their policies say something different.

If you look at the racial breakup and the spending power of city neighborhoods you will not find trendier businesses in the poorer areas of town. Look how long it took East Nashville to get a Publix. The household income was not where they wanted it until recently. That also comes into play with poor white cities. There may have been chain restaurants in some of these places, but they are closing in droves.

Moving on. There are no hotels there and likely will be any or enough to handle the needs. People will not stay in that area when the action is on Broadway. Buchanan Street is OK, but it is not what you would call a 12 S yet.

I am sure the Stars owners have good intentions but are blinded by their ambitions and someone with some common sense needs to give them a dose of reality. If they plan on gentrifying that entire area being a minority owned team, they will end up with a fight on their hands. That area is already suffering a ton of that already and when a bunch of out of towners come in and try to change a neighborhood like this, it may end up backfiring pretty badly.

The problem again is the area has a bad reputation, without a good Ingres/egress system. If it is on campus the TSU police get to handle. What happens when you. Have a  Hockey, Soccer, NFL and Baseball game or some other big event at Bridgestone or the stadium that is not sports related.

It is easier to handle crowds in a concentrated area. Now we are in multiple parts of the city. Hey let’s throw in a Vandy game to boot.

That is just a piss poor location on so many levels. 

TSU is a 10 minute walk from the Nations, and L&L market, it is not an activity desert. Sports fans that want to see a BaseBall game won’t care if the Bonney thinks are 6 miles away. Stadiums bring traffic closures and that would not be convenient  for people living off campus. You’re doing a bang up up job of being racist by saying “I try not to be racist”. All these points are moot since TSU is in a fairly central location to get to other parts of town. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

The other catch here too is if they want a whole new mixed use community surrounding the Ballpark, with entertainment and such, folks need to be within spitting distance of the other attractions. It will be hard to fill office space there, and it is already hard to keep restaurants on that side of town for various reasons. A lot of it has to do with spending power. When there is no game there will be no customers. Unfortunately there are racial aspects that are involved. I have to say that and the big boy companies including grocery stores, chain restaurants factor these things in. That is why there are food deserts, restaurant deserts so to speak with nothing healthy, just fast food.

I hate to bring that issue up as I try not to be racist, but these big companies are, even if they say they are not their policies say something different.

If you look at the racial breakup and the spending power of city neighborhoods you will not find trendier businesses in the poorer areas of town. Look how long it took East Nashville to get a Publix. The household income was not where they wanted it until recently. That also comes into play with poor white cities. There may have been chain restaurants in some of these places, but they are closing in droves.

Moving on. There are no hotels there and likely will be any or enough to handle the needs. People will not stay in that area when the action is on Broadway. Buchanan Street is OK, but it is not what you would call a 12 S yet.

I am sure the Stars owners have good intentions but are blinded by their ambitions and someone with some common sense needs to give them a dose of reality. If they plan on gentrifying that entire area being a minority owned team, they will end up with a fight on their hands. That area is already suffering a ton of that already and when a bunch of out of towners come in and try to change a neighborhood like this, it may end up backfiring pretty badly.

The problem again is the area has a bad reputation, without a good Ingres/egress system. If it is on campus the TSU police get to handle. What happens when you. Have a  Hockey, Soccer, NFL and Baseball game or some other big event at Bridgestone or the stadium that is not sports related.

It is easier to handle crowds in a concentrated area. Now we are in multiple parts of the city. Hey let’s throw in a Vandy game to boot.

That is just a piss poor location on so many levels. 

Wow!!! “I try not to be racist” but sometimes I just can’t help myself and I have to show my true colors. SMH, it ain’t hard to tell 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Smeagols, the area is rapidly gentrifying as we speak. Drive through and every tenth house is either being torn down and built right now. It’s been happening for several years. Yes the area has poverty, it also has culture and growing wealth.

So just go ahead and push the blacks out more?

Edited by Argo

53 minutes ago, samsonh said:

That is really what you took from my post? Jesus.

I mean, as poorly worded as that post was, I think there's something to be said (and I will recommend this book til my dying breath) about lessons taught in The Color of Law around historically black neighborhoods, the culture, and the destruction of. Not that these islands should remain tacitly as they are, but integration needs to be carefully planned.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

I mean, as poorly worded as that post was, I think there's something to be said (and I will recommend this book til my dying breath) about lessons taught in The Color of Law around historically black neighborhoods, the culture, and the destruction of. Not that these islands should remain tacitly as they are, but integration needs to be carefully planned.

completely agreed. That book should be a must read for those interested in urban development btw

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, samsonh said:

completely agreed. That book should be a must read for those interested in urban development btw

100% agreed. Actually. If there is someone who hasn't read it and has a genuine interest in understanding the topic better, I will personally ship (a lightly used) copy to them. Just DM me. While I wish I could buy everyone a copy, I'm only gonna do this once.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 8:12 AM, markhollin said:

Nashville is rated #1 most likely city out of 10 cities most likely to get a Major League Baseball expansion team according to Bookies.com:

https://bookies.com/mlb/picks/next-mlb-expansion-city-odds

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 8.12.01 AM.png

Are any of these cities listed here actively pursuing a MLB franchise?  Nashville has a potential ownership group but I'm not aware of any efforts by Metro or the State to try to lure a expansion franchise here.  Any of these cities buying what MLB is selling?

3 minutes ago, shanky said:

Are any of these cities listed here actively pursuing a MLB franchise?  Nashville has a potential ownership group but I'm not aware of any efforts by Metro or the State to try to lure a expansion franchise here.  Any of these cities buying what MLB is selling?

Until you get a billionaire within the ownership group, nothing else matters. Look at Nashville with MLS. We were last and then all of a sudden first once John Ingram was onboard. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Why should a depressed and violent area remain protected just because it’s black? I think it would be a disservice to not improve those areas. There’s obviously a balance, but some of North Nashville is truly blighted, and economic development should be welcomed. 

Well what will happen to the blacks there?

• 2 weeks later...

NBJ with a summary piece about the TSU site for a MLB stadium complex:

Music City baseball’s current goal is to have construction start on the multipurpose stadium in 2024, John Loar, managing director for Music City Baseball, said in an interview. The group’s timeline is focused on the Nashville Stars playing their first potential season in 2027.

Music City Baseball will continue considering sites on the East Bank and in Williamson and Rutherford Counties, however more than 90% of the group's focus has shifted to TSU, Loar said.
A financing plan for a future stadium has not been solidified.

Loar said that the goal is to “overcome the obstacle in real estate, providing an area where a ballpark can be built with limited to no public financing.”

He did not disclose the amount of private financing the group has raised.

Music City Baseball has identified the Texas Rangers’ Global Life Field in Arlington, Texas, and the Atlanta Braves’ The Battery in Atlanta as projects comparable to what they are hoping to bring to Nashville. Both serve as not only as baseball stadiums, but also entertainment and event venues.

The project cost for Global Life Field was around $1.2 billion, with a $500 million contribution from the City of Arlington funded through sales tax, hotel tax and car rental tax.

“We’ve always looked at sites and looked at the ballpark specifically as more of an arena, a facility that would accommodate baseball. You really have to look at a covered condition facility that is geared toward residencies for music, corporate convention uses to help support Nashville’s growth in the tourism industry. Whatever state money is available, I think we would look at that as an alternative,” Loar said.

Baseball games would fill the stadium only 22% of the year, said Connor Loar, manager of entertainment partnerships and digital strategy and marketing for Music City Baseball. To activate the stadium on non-game days, Music City Baseball is looking into a residency model similar to what Las Vegas does, Connor Loar said.

“We’ve talked with some of the biggest names in the music industry, from artists, labels, managers, we’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback that this can work, focusing on filling it from down to 10,000 all the way up to 50,000 people,” Connor Loar said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/08/02/music-city-baseball-focuses-on-tsu.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Trying to stay relevant again.

You can only tax so many services in this city for so many stadiums.

They will again have to overcome the fact that the site I am sure they are looking at is a flood zone. Lots to overcome.

I could see them doing a sales tax TIF or TDZ similar to the new Titans stadium deal. The TSU site currently generates $0 in sales tax. 

• Like 2