Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

The problem I see is if they use TSU land and TSU still wants it to be tax free as an educational institute. If TSU just does a land lease it will complicate the issue. This could messy. I guess it would be like the Church doing the land lease where they are building the hotel on Rosa. They hotel would be responsible for taxes.

Again, how many state legislators will go along with this??? More money for Nashville or what they perceive as more money for Nashville. 

I am just bringing up questions and I suggest you guys do as well.

• 3 months later...

I was unaware that Nashville was at least interested in exploring the idea of bringing in an MLB team as early as 1984. Pretty neat article from the May, 1984 issue of Nashville Magazine (also has a pretty hilarious article on new and interesting beer...like Heineken, Dos Equis, and Fosters) : https://archive.org/details/sim_nashville_1984-05_12_2/page/n35

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Based on attendance numbers, and how they've been declining I wonder how big they would want to build the stadium? Seems like smaller with many options would be better. 

New MLB ballparks in the last decade range from 35,00-42,000 capacity.  I can't foresee MLB allowing anything less than that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrankNash said:

I'm starting to warm up to this location.  I love the amount of riverfront and the history that could be made here.  I see a large marina and hotel on the river maybe located where the Exxon tanks are now.  The hotel would have a golf course view on the eastside and baseball stadium on the west.  The land along the river is  going  to be  in high demand IMO.

Great points. I am warming up to this spot, as well.

Could be a super location once infrastructure and improvements to the surrounding area are made.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

TSU has been trying to develop this space for a while. I image the issue they ran into was the likelihood of flooding. MKSK, TSU’s original development partner, released renderings some time ago. It seems as though they were aiming to develop something akin to UTK’s Cherokee Farm, but with a mixed use component. https://www.mkskstudios.com/projects/tennessee-state-university-cumberland-shores-innovation-district

• Like 4