Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

Milwaukee is my team (grew up in Wisconsin).  The stadium is fantastic but the location is subpar.  It was built on an existing parking lot of the old County Stadium.  The one good thing is Brewers fans are maybe the only fanbase who have thousands of fans tailgate every single game.  The tailgate is probably more fun than the actual game!  So, the vast parking lots kind of make sense.

We went to a game in St Louis last year and I thought everything about that experience was fantastic.  The stadium is located downtown and has a retro-neighborhood vibe to it (like most baseball stadiums these days).   Now they are creating a lot of development around the stadium with bars, restaurants, condos, offices, etc. to really make it a great game day experience.  If Nashville can't replicate something like the St Louis development, then it isn't worth it in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bark At The Sun said:

I actually liked Turner Field better, but the surroundings of Sun Trust make it  awesome.  We stayed at a Double Tree the next exit down and just Ubered to Battery Park.  Im going up to Cincinatti at the end of the month to watch a couple of Nats games.  

The best thing about going to a  Reds game is Northern Kentucky.  Hit Newport and Covington.  Mainstrasse Village in Covington is laidback; whereas, Newport at the levee can be kitschy but as well fun.  Take the boat to GAB from Newport...used to be the Hooters boat.

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Renovating Nissan Stadium would be an uphill battle, much less building a totally new facility.

True; there will be no new football stadium.  Public funds aren't going to be there and the owners, although not poor, don't have the assets that the Jerry Joneses and Arthur Blanks of the world possess.

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Renovating Nissan Stadium would be an uphill battle, much less building a totally new facility.

Plus ya can't beat the current locations'.......location!

I think if you renovate the stadium in conjunction with the private development on surrounding parking lots, it can be done, like Hard Rock Stadium. 

• Like 1

An MLB stadium would probably go on the East Bank somewhere between River North and PSC. I honestly think the Sounds location is perfect because of the location but probably won't happen.  Sobro would be a good option but there's no land large enough with all of the development going on. Maybe between 8th and Lafayette facing downtown. Another area I think would work is by Broadwest between 14th/16th and Broadway/Church.  Just my thoughts haha

20190509_114629.jpg

20190509_114717.jpg

• Like 2

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/05/09/nashville-predators-bridgestone-arena-lease-deal/1152293001

Looks like the residents of the city are not going to have to pay under the new deal. Seems like another signal that the MLB group would have to fund the stadium themselves.

"The new deal between Briley and the team will eliminate the operating subsidy from the general fund. That means only people who use the arena — and not the average taxpayer — will be paying for the tax incentives, which will then be reinvested in future upgrades."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bark At The Sun said:

Turner Field - Brewers Braves May 2016.............This was a couple of days after Atlanta fired Gonzalez as manager.   The attendance reminded me of the old Fulton County Stadium crowd days back in the 70's and 80's.  I thought there was absolutely nothing wrong with the stadium itself.   Atlanta gets tired of stadiums rather quickly i guess.  To me it is one of the better sports to attend in person........i don't really care watching a game on tv.

Totally agree.

One of my best friends lives in Atlanta and is a huge braves fan. 

The problem with turner field (at the time) was the location, so they went to an area where most of the season ticket holders lived. Problem is traffic can be terrible there, and now the area around turner field is gentrifying and is hip.... 

11 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Totally agree.

One of my best friends lives in Atlanta and is a huge braves fan. 

The problem with turner field (at the time) was the location, so they went to an area where most of the season ticket holders lived. Problem is traffic can be terrible there, and now the area around turner field is gentrifying and is hip.... 

I couldn’t stand turner field. Bland, unmemorable, terrible irritating location. Like nothing stood out about that park to me. It seemed like someone just repurposed a previously built stadium and threw up some outfield seating. Oh wait....

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:25 AM, PaulChinetti said:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/05/09/nashville-predators-bridgestone-arena-lease-deal/1152293001

Looks like the residents of the city are not going to have to pay under the new deal. Seems like another signal that the MLB group would have to fund the stadium themselves.

"The new deal between Briley and the team will eliminate the operating subsidy from the general fund. That means only people who use the arena — and not the average taxpayer — will be paying for the tax incentives, which will then be reinvested in future upgrades."

The catch is the operating subsidy will decrease over time, and not immediately (from my understanding). 

So renovations could happen over the next 5 years and there still could be a subsidy of some sort. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, PHofKS said:

There is one location that has ridden under the radar as far as future development is concerned that would be a good spot for a stadium if things fell into place. A group of developers are looking to re-zone an industrial area a couple of blocks off Lebanon Road to T5-MU which is what I understand would allow Gulch like development. There is a street called Driftwood so I am taking the liberty of calling it Driftwood District until another name is selected.

Also in this area is a 12 acre, apparently city owned MTA maintenance center.

33935987608_0b7fc47b9f_b.jpg

The Minnesota Twins have a 12 acre ballpark footprint which could be squeezed onto the MTA property should the city decide to sell. Some creative financing arrangements could be made to fund the ballpark using property taxes from the district. The surrounding developers would make a fortune with a ballpark city like the one in Marietta. You would need parking, also, but shuttles could ferry people from locations around town.

Yes, I know it's a long shot. Just saying!!!

This would be a fantastic location. Anyone know any of the people behind the MLB idea to suggest it to them? Or in Metro?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting how everyone keeps harping about MLB's attendance while MLS teams have far fewer games and outside of Kansas City, Portland, and Salt Lake City most teams attendance appear to be 50% to 75% of capacity.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you had a good time up here in the Great Ohio Valley......Northern KY is a bit of a hidden gem that has not reached its full potential-Covington definitely needs to relocate the huge IRS Processing Center from the Riverfront to CVG and that would open NKY up for some creative ventures.

As for Cincinnati itself....well, it's  trying. Over The Rhine is about 2/3rds redeveloped and there are small spots throughout the metro area that are seeing some measure of growth but overall the growth is little more than at a snails pace.

Unfortunately many neighborhoods are at a standstill.

20 hours ago, Bark At The Sun said:

I love the game of baseball......was probably the only sport i was competetive with as a kid and teenager.  Personally, I think that going to an MLB game in person is better than any sporting event out there.    Was expecting a little better attendance than what i saw......Friday had 25K and Saturday had 28K, but i guess with the Reds records the last 4-5 years that might have had something to do with it.      

Correct assumption about attendance.  Watching the Reds FSOH broadcast from  St. Louis last night, Brennaman and Welsh were gushing over the attendance averages at Busch Stadium and mentioned that if the Reds hadn't been so bad over the last five years...attendance would be better at GAB.