Nashville as MLB Expansion/Relocation Market

MLBrumby

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds me of the time when Memphis made a bid for the NFL. It's legend now that the team botched their bid on so many levels, starting with the name. Should have been Memphis Kings (in homage to MLK... and Elvis... and BB King.. oh, and the eponymous Egyptian Pharoahs) it was a nickname just waiting to be plucked, and the NBA Kings already said they would let them b/c of the homage to Martin Luther King. The team chose "Hound Dogs" and the rest of their bid was nothing but a bow-wowser. The NFL, looking for another Central (or Mountain) zone team, just couldn't do it. They gave their expansion team to Jacksonville. 

Anyhooo.... These guys must know their effort to get MLB in Nashville will not be taken seriously. Meet (what would be) The NASHVILLE Stars. [sorry for laughing]

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/08/28/nashville-stars-mlb-expansion-team-tennessee-dave-stewart/2133502001/

• Like 1

You never know until you try.  This crew has extensive background in the game and connections.  Many of us feel that the market is 5-10 years away from being MLB ready.  But you have to start somewhere.  In 1996, who would've thought we would have both an NFL and NHL franchise within a few years?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

This reminds me of the time when Memphis made a bid for the NFL. It's legend now that the team botched their bid on so many levels, starting with the name. Should have been Memphis Kings (in homage to MLK... and Elvis... and BB King.. oh, and the eponymous Egyptian Pharoahs) it was a nickname just waiting to be plucked, and the NBA Kings already said they would let them b/c of the homage to Martin Luther King. The team chose "Hound Dogs" and the rest of their bid was nothing but a bow-wowser. The NFL, looking for another Central (or Mountain) zone team, just couldn't do it. They gave their expansion team to Jacksonville. 

Anyhooo.... These guys must know their effort to get MLB in Nashville will not be taken seriously. Meet (what would be) The NASHVILLE Stars. [sorry for laughing]

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/08/28/nashville-stars-mlb-expansion-team-tennessee-dave-stewart/2133502001/

They did not not choose Memphis because of a name. That's bushwa. 

How do you know their effort will not be taken seriously?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DDIG said:

I don't think it is DEAD per say but I don't see it happening within ten years.

It will happen sooner than that if they have a privately funded stadium that is a part of yet another billion dollar mixed use development. They actually have said that is what they plan on doing.

MLB wants to be in Nashville and what Nashville can do for its profile.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 3

Nope! I interned for a law firm in Memphis in 1993 that represented the Memphis (Dunavant) effort. They received a list of reasons the MLB went in 'another direction'. Among other reasons, the name reflected the whole 'bush' league effort. It was a name the NFL did not want. Memphis could have edged out Jacksonville for several reasons, as noted with preference for a Central Time Zone team and reasons Bud Adams later picked up for Nashville. The other two cities in the running (St. Louis and Baltimore) were already being claimed among the powerful ownership groups by Georgia Frontiere & Art Modell respectively.  It's now widely known that the competition for the expansion teams came down to Memphis and Jacksonville, as Carolina was shoe-in. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDIG said:

I don't think it is DEAD per say but I don't see it happening within ten years.

Sorry. I think I was on mobile when I posted that. It was in reference to the Orioles moving here. The ownership group is just trying to use us as leverage. 

I think I would prefer MLB expansion over one of these greedy owners trying to suck up as much taxpayer money as possible with as few strings attached.

I would agree that it's at least 10 years off.  Maybe more, considering that they will have to find a suitable location that is large enough for an MLB footprint. Anyone that thinks it will be the scrapyard....well....we better start getting that cleaned up now....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ingram said:

They did not not choose Memphis because of a name. That's bushwa. 

How do you know their effort will not be taken seriously?

Initially I agreed with your point then I said this to myself a time or two.  It's time for the "Cowboys vs Hound Dogs"  or "Jets vs Hound Dogs".   It quickly becomes obvious that "Hound Dogs" is and Arena League or XFL name.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nashvylle said:

@markhollin I believe you stated First Horizon Park was not designed to accommodate a MLB stadium, which I would assume is true. 

But is it possible to combine the land between First Horizon and the adjacent state building to create a MLB stadium?

'Tis possible...but it would be tight.  And the state would have to come be willing to sell that land.  Then, the current stadium would need to be torn down and the new on built situated with home plate/pitching mound axis being from NW to SE, and the infield being towards the upper left of your diagram.

This location could be a challenge because more and more of the land that could be utilized for parking garages (with ground floor activation of course!) is being scooped up by developers.  Also, there could be issues with traffic access for 35-40,000 fans.  Not saying it would be impossible, but just a challenge figuring flow outward towards the inner loop interstates.   

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Music City Baseball initiative, led by John Loar, has already raised $750,000 from 11 investors for their initial start-up costs. The goal is $4.5 million for these beginning elements. 

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/09/19/money-ball-group-aiming-to-bring-baseball-to.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, satalac said:

I still don't think Nashville is big enough to support 4 major sports teams. This on top of where the stadium would be and the fact that the city just spent a lot of money on First Horizon and about to spend more on the MLS stadium. I know Nashville has a history of baseball, but I think it's more of a 10-20 year plan.

Agreed.  If we bite off more than we can chew and wind up with one team failing it could damage our momentum and hurt our reputation.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, satalac said:

This on top of where the stadium would be and the fact that the city just spent a lot of money on First Horizon and about to spend more on the MLS stadium. 

The city is on the hook for very little of the MLS stadium. A max of 4 million a year, if nobody goes to any games, pays for any parking, and buys no concessions or merch.

I do a think a MLB stadium would work... IF and a big if, the MLB and the franchise totally rethought what their in game and stadium experience was. They would have to go small, domed and ultra luxurious but still affordable and accessible. You have so many different experiences to compete with as a stadium. Why go to the stadium when you can stay at home where everything is free or cheap. Why go to the stadium when you can go to a bar with 10 friends for way less than the stadium. Etc. etc etc.

Edited by PaulChinetti
addition
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

@PaulChinetti I agree, but the stadium has to be within the inner downtown loop, but it does not have to be a dome in my opinion. 

Sitting outside at the last Titans game, I would whole heartedly disagree. 

With temps only getting hotter and baseball being also played in the humid parts of summer. I'd say it's a necessity if you want to attract people to the park on a day that's 105 with 75% humidity. What about when its 115 with 75% humidity or 120, etc. etc. etc.

3 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Sitting outside at the last Titans game, I would whole heartedly disagree. 

With temps only getting hotter and baseball being also played in the humid parts of summer. I'd say it's a necessity if you want to attract people to the park on a day that's 105 with 75% humidity. What about when its 115 with 75% humidity or 120, etc. etc. etc.

perhaps a canopy system that covers all seats and provides AC relief (like Phoenix Rising has proposed for the potential MLS stadium), but a full dome, I do not think that's financially realistic, especially when the city won't give much $ at all. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:39 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

And the Titans already seem to be on life support! You can almost hear the death rattle over the roar of the remaining fan.

The Titans have def been struggling but I don't think the fan support is that bad. Sure the games aren't like they were back in the 2000s but it is far from being on life support. I am sure it would be much worse if Nashville wasn't the "it" city because then we wouldn't have such a huge draw of away fans coming into the city. Titans and Vandy are probably huge for Nashville tourism since the home teams are garbage, therefore almost a guarantee win for the away team.

Now would have been an incredible time for the Titans to have been good because sports media would have def jumped on that bandwagon. It would have been great for the franchise, but Mariota is still a thing, so mediocrity will continue.